What's new

Mrhide

Enlightened
Reaction score
So are T unit eproms swaps possible? probably not because of security right?!

mk1 (Version 4 or 5) to mk2 is what I have in mind.

any help welcome!

thanks

MK1 and MK2 have different hardware, and the sound board is completely different on MK2, you can't convert MK1 to MK2

MK1 hardware matches NBA Jam and Smash TV so technically it should be possible to convert to those, but there are different customs for each game which again makes it impossible

This is the stuff that makes my head hurt ;)

But it would be AWESOME to convert NBA JAM to smash Tv.. I wanted to convert NBA JAM to TE but that wasnt even possible due to a change in plcc chip from what I have been reading.. -- kinda dumb if you ask me.. but at the same time I understand the need for security - just shocked they didnt offer these in some kind of upgrade kit.

This is the stuff that makes my head hurt ;)

But it would be AWESOME to convert NBA JAM to smash Tv.. I wanted to convert NBA JAM to TE but that wasnt even possible due to a change in plcc chip from what I have been reading.. -- kinda dumb if you ask me.. but at the same time I understand the need for security - just shocked they didnt offer these in some kind of upgrade kit.
They did, with a whole new boardset and art to upgrade your dedicated cab :P

MK1 and MK2 have different hardware, and the sound board is completely different on MK2, you can't convert MK1 to MK2
MK2 runs on the T-Unit hardware, MK1 1.0~4.0 run on the Y-Unit however 5.0 does run on a T-Unit.
QozmlLJ.png

IF you can defeat the security, and IF you have the proper sound board (MK1 is different, and the power cables are different too depending on Y-Unit <5.0 mainboard or T-Unit 5.0 mainboard).
It would work.
s-l640.jpg

MK1 Y-Unit
1115578384.jpg

MK1 T-Unit
5jxiww.jpg

*Bonus* I've been told the sound board in some 90's Bally/Midway pinball machines matches the MK1 sound board.
I do not know if this is 100% true or what machines match (if any, I was never a big pinball guy).

Last edited by a moderator:
what replacement chips can be used on the T-Units to replace the UJ22 chip.. looking at the board - midway stamped them all with custom in house rom numbers. Only thing on it that was commerical was the AMJ text.

anyone able to help with that? otherwise tonight I might have to cut my machine and see if my burner can Identify the chip

It's a shame it seems like all of the Mortal Kombat stuff in mame is super under documented, at least compared to other boardsets..

Looks like it's a 4M DIP32 going by rom size

27c4001 should do the trick

nah.. it doesnt look like the 27c4001 I have those.. and im talking the nba jam board.. its a different chip for sure

What's on there are maskroms so they're not gonna look the same. But the mame rom is still 512kb and it's still a dip32 rom, so the 27c4001 would be the suitable replacement if it's bad.

Last edited:
It's 27c040 on those boards for nba jam.
Several nasty posts back in the day of old operators commenting they used to raid these cheap board for the 040s. :(

I dont think that is it either.. when I set my chip reader to that and told it to read the chip says its a mismatch for chip id

It's 27c040 on those boards for nba jam.
Several nasty posts back in the day of old operators commenting they used to raid these cheap board for the 040s. :(
Doesn't really matter much though, they're the same eprom, just different numbering scheme by different manufacturers. The board will happily take a 27C040 or a 27C4001.

Thanks for all the replies.

and the sound board from the WPC pinball (#A-12738) set is different:

wpc-a12738-sound.jpg

I am pretty sure back in the 2000's something i bought a soundboard that i burned new roms for an NBA Jam and it worked.
Could have been mislabeled Ebay sale, i'm not sure. An on-line search does not bring up a lot of pics that immediately stand out as compatible sound boards.. :(

@pzlate I usually call those eproms as i know the mainstream jedec line.. 010, 020, 030, 040, 080.
There are some x001 series that 'appear' to match but in my opinion do not.
For example, if you say 27C1001, you could be meaning the one with the hitachi HN27C301G pinout (which is similar to 27C512 + 1 extra address line.) Anyway this misnaming scheme bothers us all. Nba Jam roms are 27C040 compatible, i'm really 100% sure.

Back