What's new
you are correct sir it's a PST518

C37 is a 1uf 50V cap.

I pulled the cap and it tested good. I didn't have any new replacements so I threw in a used one that also tested good from a cap kit I did a while back. I also reflowed the joints on the PST518 for good measure.

in doing this I no longer have the buzzing on boot up, the game plays through the attract mode loop without resetting... but it is still resetting :( I was also able to get further in the game before it reset (previously It would usually reset somewhere between the first and 3rd enemy, this time it reset shortly after the first helipad).

one other weird thing is that when I land the helicopter to pickup POWs or to land on the helipad twice it would jump my helicopter to the right.

the first time it happened I kind of shrugged it off and then it happened in the helipad and basically transported me off of the pad into the water. I lifted off again to land back on the pad to unload and that's when the game reset on me again.

I have a new supercap on order and get some more 1uf 50v but I wonder if there is something else going on here that's causing the helicopter to jump like that.

you are correct sir it's a PST518

C37 is a 1uf 50V cap.

I pulled the cap and it tested good. I didn't have any new replacements so I threw in a used one that also tested good from a cap kit I did a while back. I also reflowed the joints on the PST518 for good measure.

in doing this I no longer have the buzzing on boot up, the game plays through the attract mode loop without resetting... but it is still resetting :( I was also able to get further in the game before it reset (previously It would usually reset somewhere between the first and 3rd enemy, this time it reset shortly after the first helipad).

one other weird thing is that when I land the helicopter to pickup POWs or to land on the helipad twice it would jump my helicopter to the right.

the first time it happened I kind of shrugged it off and then it happened in the helipad and basically transported me off of the pad into the water. I lifted off again to land back on the pad to unload and that's when the game reset on me again.

I have a new supercap on order and get some more 1uf 50v but I wonder if there is something else going on here that's causing the helicopter to jump like that.
We're progressing here. The reset problem was analog related but this "jump" bug makes me think of a floating address line somewhere resulting in erratic behaviour.

Ok, I tested out both DW carts I have on the different MBs and do not get the same problems that you are, so.....¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But looks like Apocalypse is on his way to help you narrow down the issues. Also, good thing is you have a working one that you can test and compare with.

Get anywhere with this? I just got in a cart (Idol Janshi Suchie-Pai II (ver 1.0)) that resets itself before booting. All others seem fine, but that doesn’t rule out something weird on the mother... I’m still poking around but wanted to bump this to see if you’d made progress.

Get anywhere with this? I just got in a cart (Idol Janshi Suchie-Pai II (ver 1.0)) that resets itself before booting. All others seem fine, but that doesn’t rule out something weird on the mother... I’m still poking around but wanted to bump this to see if you’d made progress.
yes this problem was sort-of resolved.
it was a mobo problem. one mobo would reboot only with Desert War, all other games worked fine. Desert War cart on other mobos worked fine.

The Mahjong games however require the mahjong IO board or they will not boot properly.

If that's the only PCB/cart you've got you're welcome to bring it up to my place next time you're over as I've got 4 or 5 of these mobos and 8 or 10 carts

yup can confirm you need the extension pcb for the mahjong games to boot.

@twistedsymphony cool, I was hoping it was something like that. I’ll swap in some other program roms for kicks and see if that does the trick.

Edit: yep that did the trick, my cart is fine.

Last edited:
Back