What's new
@PascalP I have the feeling your 1FT is going to give similar results to my 1F. But with the Unibios you can at least check multi behaviour despite the graphic issues so that shouldn't hold you back?

true..., but I need it fixed anyway :P
You know how impatient I can be ;)

+ your MVS video RAM will die sooner or later, so it can't hurt to have some in stock....

@PascalP i should have some of those 6264 somewhere. If not, i can get them from a donor quickly with my new hot air toy.
I'll test them before shipping, i have a programmer capable of ram tests.

Since you already know the part to replace is broken:

I advise to use the 474 only to suck the holes out. Use a pair of side cutters to cut the legs like these:
https://www.eoo-bv.nl/overige-tangen/480-zijkniptang-1.html
(That site also has the sockets you need for the skinny dip28 here: https://www.eoo-bv.nl/210-ic-voet-low-cost)

You can use the 474 to suck the solder from around the legs, but the nozzle will wear out very, very quickly.
(The IC leg will 'wiggle & dig around' inside the front of the nozzle and the nozzle hole will enlarge/wear out. You'll be burning up nozzles fast.)

It's better to cut out the old IC close to the top of the IC package, leaving the legs in the holes.
Then use an exacto knife & soldering iron to quickly heat and lift out the legs. (using the blade to lift the ic leg out of the hole like a pair of tweezers.)
And last step is to suck out the holes with the 474, leaving a clean hole :)

Looking at buyicnow, someone seems to have raided the stocks of 6264, 6116 and other common (s)ram used on arcade pcb's :(

I like the cheap sockets better, many times they fit the old stock/desoldered parts better. Sometimes IC legs can be a little bent as they come from a used board. (Same for the ones i get from Buyicnow.)

Once the kids are back at school i will take a peek in my basement & see what's in stock there :)

@Asure which 858 station did you get?
Any particular brand? Because if I Google it I find all kinds of brands for 858 hor air station, ranging from €30 (China) to €100 (www.eleshop.nl)

It'a the same technique I use but I usually work from the solder side, this allows me also to salveage the ICs.

That technique works fine for smaller ICs but is much harder to do on larger chips like eproms. I've never done it successfully.

That's the same station I have. Sometimes you have to add solder to the legs as otherwise they dont want to come out.

I have the same hot air rework station me too :) But, I warn you all, the ceramic heater element will not last forever!

I have the same hot air rework station me too :) But, I warn you all, the ceramic heater element will not last forever!
How long is "not forever"? They have spare heaters i see :)

This model is pretty the same design that during year has been remarked, this WEP 858D is the third or fouth station I had.The problem is that each of this similar station has different connection/pinout for the ceramic heater.You shold buy the spare now that they are still available for this specific model.

@caius thanks for the heads up. Will go look for a matching heater then. Still, €40 isn't a bad deal, even if the heater craps out after a while.. i guess you get what you pay for :)

@PascalP i got the rams in the mail before they collected the bags, so they should hopefully be with you tomorrow!

Waiting on the mailman....

204EC9D2-BC2D-4851-B538-6914322CA184.jpeg

So, i guess we curse at the dutch postman tonight? Or did they deliver?

Back