What's new

penrhos

Grand Master
Reaction score
I got a box of 10 Samsung 200Gb SATA SSD's free from work and want to use them in my TTX2 etc however they came from an old EMC SAN and have a blocksize of 520 instead of 512.

This is where the fun begins, I've tried using sg_utils to format them to 512 but it seems it only works with SAS/SCSI drives not SATA.

I've tried using various SAS/SATA controllers I had lying around but have got nowhere - so I have 10 * 200Gb paperweights at the moment.

Google indicates I need "a recent version of SHT/SRT by China union" but the only download I found was full of malware.

What I want to do is:-
1) Read firmware from the drive
2) Read drive parameters
3) Set the blocksize to 512 and reformat the drive so I can use it with a normal PC/TTX/Lindbergh.

If there was some "Normal" firmware for these drives - instead of the custom "EMC" one then I'd like to flash the firmware too (but not essential if I can get them working).

I'm willing to supply a drive to anyone who can help me get the rest working (it'll have to be formatted before I send it to you as they had confidential data on them - which is also why I need to fix them myself).

Back