What's new
You may have noticed a delay in the release of the latest version of the menu. The reason for this is twofold. First, the number of updates that we plan to add is very significant which means that takes longer and second, we have decided that another person should take over programming and design of the menu from now on. It's complicated to give a precise date with all these changes and specially when someone else needs to take over, but as we like to say good things take time. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed.

Thanks.

Hmm, so I believe I've read somewhere that the guy doing the menu only wants to do it once.
So does that mean the menu will only be updated one more time and that's it ?
I can't find the post where it was said but I believe it was @Mitsurugi-w who stated it.

well...if we change programmer....we can update whenever we want. Can't we?

And no....we never said that it will only be updated once. We'll provide continuous support.

Well sure, but depending on the complexity of the source code there might well be a waiting period involved after the release as the new programmer first has to understand it before any serious bug hunting can occur IMHO.

Anyway, what language is used for the menu, Assembler or C ?

I guess C with 68000 compiler for the sake of simplicity (it could also be anything else).
But language doesn't really matter, algorithmic does.

Well sure, but depending on the complexity of the source code there might well be a waiting period involved after the release as the new programmer first has to understand it before any serious bug hunting can occur IMHO.

As you can see with the menu, we're almost there. Doesnt remain much to make it a 100% version. We hope for the next release to be final in terms of stability. Only new functionalities will be added after on.

I don't mind waiting. I paid for a Super Neo 29 in January. I think it might arrive maybe before the end of August. :P

Please work with ease and give yourself all the time you need. In any case if it's not 100% it won't bother me because I know it will be reached sooner or later. For the moment I already consider myself happy to contribute by testing and reporting.

Hi! I've just received my Darksoft MVS in the post today, all seems great so far. I've updated the menu to the April one, using the first link on the front page of this thread, and it did the job and the contents of the update disappeared from the folder as they should.

However I'm confused about the other two files - the 'top file' and 'firmware files' - what do you do with these to update the firmware? Do you also put these in an update folder on the SD card?

My current firmware revision is OxO3b2
and firmware build says Ox3e7d
Menu build date is Apr 1 2018
I'm showing 147 supported games

^^^ am I already running latest firmware?

I've noticed I can't swap from MVS to AES and Blazing Star has a few sound issues, as does Garou (music just went off) - wondering if these are teething issues or if my firmware is out of date.

Any advice appreciated :) thank you! love the kit so far, only messed with it for a couple of hours though

**EDIT - just re-read the instructions and found the bit on the firmware!**

Last edited:
Just a quick follow on from my last post and a couple of questions if I may -
Firmware update seems successful, I'm now showing OxO3b1 for Firmware revision and Ox14c9 for Firmware build after running the update files from the first page.

Anyway two questions -

1 - The option that says you can swap from MVS to AES in the settings just sits on 'MVS' and won't change - I think that's correct and it's not yet implemented - is this right?
2 - If I'm running say, Samurai Showdown in Japan mode, it's still coming up as the US version, but in the MVS board settings (the black and white settings menu) the title of the game shows in Japanese (changes to English if swap back to English in the DS menu settings). Is this meant to be like this? It doesn't really matter much, just curious as to if it's a bug?

Thank you

Changing modes in the menu is currently disabled.

Hopefully get it cleared up as soon as the new menu guys begins on it.

My current firmware revision is OxO3b2
and firmware build says Ox3e7d
I'm now showing OxO3b1 for Firmware revision and Ox14c9 for Firmware
There is only a minor difference between 0x03b1 and 0x03b2, so you are OK with either one.
The firmware (aka top file) is also the same in both cases only that compiled at a different timestamp and the CRC is different.

Bottom line: firmwarewise you are good.

Are bootlegs and the like going to be back in anytime soon? I kind of want to play Crossed Swords 2.

I'm using the DS MVS on a 4-slot machine. I realize from instructions that "Currently there are some bugs we are fixing with 4-slot and 6-slot mobos." I'd like to confirm some things:

First, do the bugs include the front page displaying just garbled graphics and sound? That's what I got after the file system initialization. The text does appear fine.

Second, can a NeoGeo Unibios affect operation or display?

Third, when I switched to a different slot, I got a cross hatch test displayed on the screen. When I switched back to the original slot that I got the cart to work, although garbled, I now get the cross hatch test. I can't update the firmware or get back to the menu.

When I inserted an authentic cart to confirm that the system still worked, the cart ran fine. Did I break something on the multicart?

Update: When I put an authentic game in the second slot, the system skipped the MVS multicart entirely and loaded the second cart.

Update 2: I removed all other carts, turned off power, and this time got the usual garbled mess with clean text on startup again. When I began, I was able to load 3 games into the virtual slots. When I tried selecting the game after rebooting, the screen initialized then went back to the cross hatch test.

Last edited:
What bios are you using right now?

@Mitsurugi-w remember he has a 4 slot so he should put the multi on the 2nd slot and an original cart in the 1st slot while games load from microsd. You even did a video about it. Got a link somewhere?

I mean it helps with initial loading for sure. A normal bios is much better to use on 4 and 6-slots for now until we get the kinks worked out. The Neo-geo logo being scrambled is normal with unibios.

You have to give the cart time to load the games. Also when the cart is reset you may get a crosshatch screen. With the unibios you may get an error handling screen but pressing C for a soft reboot usually allows the game to boot afterwards. But yes putting an original cart into another slot will always give the original cart priority on boot as the multi is loading games still. After the games are fully loaded then the cart is treated as a normal cart. For now a regular bios handles the multi better but using a Uni-bios is very possible and works fine after the cart is loaded.

@Mitsurugi-w remember he has a 4 slot so he should put the multi on the 2nd slot and an original cart in the 1st slot while games load from microsd. You even did a video about it. Got a link somewhere?
I mean it helps with initial loading for sure. A normal bios is much better to use on 4 and 6-slots for now until we get the kinks worked out. The Neo-geo logo being scrambled is normal with unibios.

You have to give the cart time to load the games. Also when the cart is reset you may get a crosshatch screen. With the unibios you may get an error handling screen but pressing C for a soft reboot usually allows the game to boot afterwards. But yes putting an original cart into another slot will always give the original cart priority on boot as the multi is loading games still. After the games are fully loaded then the cart is treated as a normal cart. For now a regular bios handles the multi better but using a Uni-bios is very possible and works fine after the cart is loaded.
I tried placing the cart in the second slot after a copy of Art of Fighting 3. On powering up and going to the second game (MVS Multicart) I get this garbled intro and sound with the 3 games that I initially loaded into slots (attached). Art of Fighting 1 was the game loaded into the first slot.

When I tried picking the first game slot (pressing "A"), the screen reset, went to Unibios, then Neo Geo intro screen, then the first game cart (AOF3). Once the demo ended, it reset back to the Neo Geo intro screen, and then AOF3 again. It doesn't appear to load the AOF1 game at all, instead skipping the DS multicart cart altogether.

43137299_333464467214353_9022350567921418240_n.jpg

Back