What's new
He @Darksoft, didn't update my MVS to the latest meny yet as it is playing fine for me with the previous version stil, but want to do it now.

What's the deal with the TOP file, is it correct it does not have a file extension?
Also can I do it together with the latest FW file (as per PDF), or FW first, then TOP (as per start post)?

Hey guys, I'm having problems updating my cart to latest version. Here's what I've done:

- Formatted my SDCard
- Uncompressed @SmokeMonster pack from 2018-04-02 on the SD Card
- Deleted the updated menu included in the pack from /update on the SDCard since my cart has already been updated to that version
- Copied latest TOP and flash.img files (obtained from first post in this thread) to /update on the SDCard.
- Put the SDCard on the cart and power on my MV1C.
- Screen shows light blue, I think something broke but after a few seconds, crosshatch comes.
- I restart the MVS board several times, always crosshatch (no more light blue screen).
- I check the SDCard on the laptop, flash.img file is gone, but TOP is still in /update. The cart no longer works (always crosshatch).
- The MVS board is fine, just tested with a couple original games, they play fine.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

Last edited:
How long did you wait with the crosshatch? Do an integrity check on the microSD. If flash.img is gone that means the it can read well and update properly. Either the file has a wrong filename or attributes or something like that.

How long did you wait with the crosshatch? Do an integrity check on the microSD. If flash.img is gone that means the it can read well and update properly. Either the file has a wrong filename or attributes or something like that.
I did not wait long, maybe 3-4 seconds since I have not read anywhere that I should wait on crosshatch. The flash.img is gone, so I guess that part of the update went OK. The top file is just named "top", no extension, all lowercase, no attributes or anything (not that FAT32 allows much in that sense). What do you mean "integrity test" on the microSD?

Thanks!!

Wait longer. The crosshatch should dissapear after a couple of seconds.

Integrity test is how a consultant will call, running a simple error check, as can be seen here:

4021125_en_1

Thanks for the help, @Darksoft. I did the whole process again, formatted the microSD again, checking it for errors (came clean) copied all the files again, deleted the menu files that come with the @SmokeMonster pack, replacing them with the latest ones (both in /games/menu and in /update/menu) and started the cart again. Same result: light blue screen at the beginning during some seconds, then crosshatch screen. It's been on crosshatch several minutes now, so I think it's not doing anything.

Thanks!

Edit: Lasted more than 30 minutoes on crosshatch. Turned it off, and checked the microSD, same results: flash.img file is gone, top file is still there, along with updated menu files (also there). Cart still does not work.

Last edited:
Try re-downloading the FW file and put just the flash.img file in the update folder. Delete the TOP for the time being.

Try re-downloading the FW file and put just the flash.img file in the update folder. Delete the TOP for the time being.
Red downloaded the files, they are exactly the same I had before. Deleted the TOP file from the /update folder, same thing, the cart does nothing, goes straight to crosshatch.

Red downloaded the files, they are exactly the same I had before. Deleted the TOP file from the /update folder, same thing, the cart does nothing, goes straight to crosshatch.
Mine goes to crosshatch on my 2 slot all the time too (doesn't happen on my 1 slot). If i press the B button to reset on crosshatch it works after that. Sometimes there is a crash on game load but using unibios softreset fixes that.

Are you using Unibios or regular bios?

Have you cleared the NV ram?

I have 4 slot MVS and tried the FW update. I cleared NVRAM, deleted BUFF file and put flash.img in the update folder. When I turn on the system with the cart and SDcard inserted it goes to the cross hatch screen and sits there forever. If I cycle the power the cart boots up but the firmware doesn't get updated. It shows revision 0x03b2 and build 0x3e7d in the About menu. I tried re downloading the FW and top files and done this about 8 times and nothing.

How long is forever? Firmware update can take 20 seconds or so. After that the system should restart itself and the files must be gone. If it sits in a crosshatch, it means that the motherboard can't detect the cart or PROM is disconnected, which is what happens during a FIRM update.

It sat at the cross hatch screen for 2-15 minutes each time. I'm using stock BIOS with the cart in slot one without any other carts installed. After each attempt the flash.img is no longer in the menu folder.

Ahh good. If it's no longer there then it updated properly. what happens later, when you power cycle? still cross hatch?

When I cycle the power it boots up but the About menu shows firmware revision 0x03b2 and build 0x3e7d. Shouldn't I see 0x03dd?

Back