What's new
@Pinball, @SVM, @mathewbeall. Can you try the new top file published in the 1st post together with this flash.img attached and see if that fixes?

Also let me know which Firmware revision and build do you see in the menu when you go to "About". It should be right now 0x03e4 and 5603.

After you install this flash.img attached, it will be 0x0000 and 5603
@Darksoft - all good with the new 1205 flash/top you put up. I haven't tested a bunch of games yet, but all visual flicker is gone now... :)

Thanks!

Hello,

Thanks for the update.

Flashed the latest firmware / top / menu following @SVM steps.
I have really weird issues.
mslugx in slot1 and kof98 in slot2.
I can boot mslugx, but I'm stuck on red warning screen when booting kof98.
So I check the system configuration: I'm in MVS / Europe.
Then if i go to kof98 game configuration, everything is in japanese.

I still have glithes with unibios 4.0 at first boot and sometimes I have glitches in the multi menu.

Not really important, but the monkey is still not in the foreground :)
you have unibios and then the cart is trying to force another region. Which one are you using on each?1st boot of unibios will not show the logo, but the rest will. This will remain like this.
We're currently looking at the glitches when navigating the menu.
I'm using Arcade / Europe for both.Strange, I have the logo at first boot.
Even if KOF98 is the only game on slot 1 and no others games on others slot, the game is frozen with the WARNING message.
One of the last updates has break compatibility with this game (it worked perfectly before ='( )

Also i can confirm that the Unibios bios issue is really not fixed, i always get a glitched logo at each boot and reboot.
Same here. Unibios 3.3 and KOF98 in MVS mode = WARNING message... It works in AES mode... KOF98 Works both in MVS and AES mode with old firmware.
Cheers.

Hello,

Thanks for the update.

I still have glithes with unibios 4.0 at first boot and sometimes I have glitches in the multi menu.

you have unibios and then the cart is trying to force another region. Which one are you using on each?1st boot of unibios will not show the logo, but the rest will. This will remain like this.We're currently looking at the glitches when navigating the menu.
Even if KOF98 is the only game on slot 1 and no others games on others slot, the game is frozen with the WARNING message.One of the last updates has break compatibility with this game (it worked perfectly before ='( )

Also i can confirm that the Unibios bios issue is really not fixed, i always get a glitched logo at each boot and reboot.
Same here. Unibios 3.3 and KOF98 in MVS mode = WARNING message... It works in AES mode... KOF98 Works both in MVS and AES mode with old firmware.
Cheers.
Yes the last 2 firmwares update has break compatibility with this game.
Last time i played KOF98 (in october i guess) it worked perfectly.

KOF98 Works both in MVS and AES mode with old firmware.
can you be more precise? Which exact flash and top files?
Here all 5 versions work in both modes with all the firmware files that I've tried.

Hello,

Thanks for the update.

you have unibios and then the cart is trying to force another region. Which one are you using on each?1st boot of unibios will not show the logo, but the rest will. This will remain like this.
We're currently looking at the glitches when navigating the menu.
Even if KOF98 is the only game on slot 1 and no others games on others slot, the game is frozen with the WARNING message.
One of the last updates has break compatibility with this game (it worked perfectly before ='( )

This game never worked perfectly. I watched it on every firmware revision because it's my favourite NG game and I give it very serious testing, I always try to finish it. I think you just didn't give it enough playing to see this bug happen. We discussed it many times in this thread, first it was menu, and the last news is it's protection related, it gives you warning message because you're under unibios, and it stops working on regular bios : background moving but not players, players go outside the screen, freezing, or garbled screen, the bug can happend under a lot of forms at any moment of the game. According to @Darksoft it will be patched in the next roll up pack until they find the solution.

Last edited:
We know the solution. It just has to be implemented in the FPGA. It will get done at some point but is not top priority, hence the patched roms we will use for a month or so.

I think you just didn't give it enough playing to see this bug, we discussed it many times, it's protection related,
We know perfectly where the issue is and that involves a lot of hours of work to implement the protection of a single game. As you stated, we'll ask @SmokeMonster to use the patched version for now.

I'm in MVS / Europe.

I think you didn't properly update all the files. Menu, flash.img and top to the ones of the 1st post. give it a try and see if they dissapear from the microSD.

to @archimage, @Tgames,@'opossumit', @tom5151 and everyone with issues with KOF98, please try this top file (use the latest flash.img and menu from the 1st post).

Notice that newest menu is from 3rd December and it fixes the logo issue among other things.

Attachments

• top_20181206.zip
    176.2 KB · Views: 190
Guys with troubles updating. Try to do one update at a time. Wait at least a minute so the update ca complete. It seems to work more consistently when updating one at a time.

Some discussions are repeated because everyone discovers already known bugs myself included, I think it should save some time to pin them on first page until they're solved.

EDIT :
to @archimage, @Tgames,@'opossumit', @tom5151 and everyone with issues with KOF98, please try this top file (use the latest flash.img and menu from the 1st post).
@Darksoft I will try this ASAP and will report back. No hurry I trust completely this will be fixed at the right moment. ;)

I've update as follows and all is looking/working nicely :thumbsup:
20181205 - flash/fw
20181206 - top
20181203 - menu

IMG_6657.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6656.jpg
    IMG_6656.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 171

Notice that newest menu is from 3rd December and it fixes the logo issue among other things.
Hi Darksoft, just reflashed multi with newest files:

20181205 - flash/fw
20181206 - top
20181203 - menu

KOF98 still gives the WARNING screen in MVS mode.

The game works in BOTH MVS and AES (CONSOLE) mode with 20181003 firmware and 20181017 menu... Old top file from may, i think...

Cheers ^^^^

Appears to be working ok for me. Ver3.2, MV1FZ
IMG_2271.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2272.JPG
    IMG_2272.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 158
OK, so let me recap.
* Everyone got the gfx glitches gone and the NeoGeo logo shows well with unibios, except on the1st power on as we have explained. ( @Tgames make sure you have the newest menu from Dec 3rd)
* Some people have the KOF98 warning screen. @opossumit posted "The game works in BOTH MVS and AES (CONSOLE) mode with 20181003 firmware and 20181017 menu"
* @Tgames noticed some sound glitches on "The Super Spy"

The game works in BOTH MVS and AES (CONSOLE) mode with 20181003 firmware and 20181017 menu... Old top file from may, i think...
Can you please try to narrow it down? If you update to newest menu for example and keep that 20181003 firmware and Old top file from may. Does it still work?

Are we talking about the same problem ? I personally never had a problem with KOF98 boot up, it could be after 10-40 minutes playing in my case.

I will start a fresh sd card again, and redownload every file.

Back