What's new
archimage said:
I am still wondering how come these issues happen to me and not you I followed the exact same steps. What mobo/bios do you have ?
At the moment i'm using a UniBios Ver3.2 and MV1FZ motherboard.
The only issue I've ever seen is with regards to the SD card. I was using a 4gb Kingston card "without issues" whilst playing games, but when I tried doing FW/menu updates is didn't seem to work. I ditched that card a while ago and since then haven't had any issues with a Sandisk Ultra

ok. I have a REGION file in my SD card. Have I to delete it at every step when i delete the BUFF file?
Nope.
done

Everything is completed correctly. I have 2 issues:
1) in the Games list, when i slide up or down the games list, it appears for a moment an orizontal white line, usually at the upper side of the screen. Same issue occurs when i run every game or during the game session, in some specific situation (e.g: during a shot em up game, when i lost 1 life, immediately after when it appear the next "life", it appears one or two white line

2) very ofter, when i load 3 new games, it appear the pop up "updating game settings": when it happens, the loading time are really long! Really longer than the normal. For example:
- mutation nation, matrimelee, ninja combat: Normally it takes about 28", but when it appears "updating game setting" it takes more than one minute!
- art of fighting 3, Blazing Star, Fatal Fury 2: Normally it takes about 24", but when it appears "updating game setting" it takes about 1 minute

When it happens, i have to delete the BUFF file, and clear the nvram memory. If i don't do this, it seems that the pop up appears every time i change the games loaded...

Here are some suggestions to make life easier for everyone :)

Put a checksum (fletcher 16 for example) on the config data stored in the battery backed NVRAM area, if this is corrupted you know that the unit needs a new battery.

Add the expected firmware checksums to the menu program itself so that the menu can do a sanity check on loaded firmwares and if it is not correct make a popup so the uses is aware.

thanks how do you do that ? I don't have any programming background but would give this a try

Here are some suggestions to make life easier for everyone :)

Put a checksum (fletcher 16 for example) on the config data stored in the battery backed NVRAM area, if this is corrupted you know that the unit needs a new battery.

Add the expected firmware checksums to the menu program itself so that the menu can do a sanity check on loaded firmwares and if it is not correct make a popup so the uses is aware.
I changed the battery yesterday, it is new. It is the 3rd time in about one year that i change the battery... i don't know if every battery that i bought was "old" or if my console use more battery than normal. The guy who built my consolized MVS said that he will change the chip related to the battery and he will modify it in order to use rechargeble battery: in this way i will not change anymore the battery.

But in any case, now the battery is new, but i still have the 2 problems that i listed above... can you provide me more details in order to do the actions you suggested? many thanks

I have ordered a new battery to see if it changes anything. @Darksoft in my last testing I first had no issues with fresh formatted sd card with KOF98 it appeared only after a while (multiple shutdowns/reboots). Could it be something related to the sd card file structure that is being altered at some point ?

Had a weird issue with Metal Slug X today, my nephews where playing it and at some point the audio froze, game was still playable but enemies on screen could not be killed and the timer froze as well.

Not exactly sure which stage as I didn’t play myself, anyone had similar issues?
Maybe it was a one time glitch, will see if I can reproduce it

I have ordered a new battery to see if it changes anything. @Darksoft in my last testing I first had no issues with fresh formatted sd card with KOF98 it appeared only after a while (multiple shutdowns/reboots). Could it be something related to the sd card file structure that is being altered at some point ?
Nope. No relation between those.

maybe worth getting another mobo to troubleshoot ?

@wigsplitta you have same setup as me, can you please try to reproduce my problems with kof98 by trying to finish the game with your setup ?

- check if you have language problems with japanese setup : can't get japanese language if nvram is cleared, it works sometimes only after fresh flash, and even with that it resets by itself and gets back to english.
- if you have the protection bug I have during some battles sometime game freezes and background still moving, or random reset

Last edited:
language problem has been solved and you will be able to see it when we make the new menu release.

FF2 and KOF98 as we said several times, needs emulation from protection. This isn't done yet so for now we will ask to use the hacked romset.

ok thanks for the confirmation, I was aware of that information but I had to make sure because at some moment it worked perfect without any hicup for the first hours, so wasn't sure if it was related to battery or my setup as I see many people report everything perfect

Liking the new update. All issues that I faced before are now fixed. I haven’t delved into the Console/Region stuff yet. Just have it set to Japan/MVS.

I have had an occasional hang here and there when flashing slots, but nothing frequent.

I’m also experiencing the “updating game settings” issue someone else mentioned. I usually flash all 3 slots at a time and it always comes up with that on the screen for 20-30 seconds or so before it actually starts flashing.

I’m also experiencing the “updating game settings” issue someone else mentioned. I usually flash all 3 slots at a time and it always comes up with that on the screen for 20-30 seconds or so before it actually starts flashing.
Isn't this what it's supposed to do?

?(

Isn't this what it's supposed to do?
?(
I’m now assuming so. But I watched a video of someone else with the multi and it was almost an instant flash. Then someone else further up on this thread said something ‘bout it...

My thinking is that when it first says "updating game settings" that it is flashing slot 1 at that point, and that process takes 20-30 seconds. And then it goes on to slot 2, and 3.

But I don't really know.

:D

My thinking is that when it first says "updating game settings" that it is flashing slot 1 at that point, and that process takes 20-30 seconds. And then it goes on to slot 2, and 3.

But I don't really know.

:D
yes, it seems so! I have exatly this strange issue. If i delete the BUFF files and clean the nvram, the issue disappears. But after 3 or for new flash all 3 slots at a time, this issue appears...

I noticed today my calendar was 3 days late, so I changed the battery, I think it was a good idea. Thanks @Darksoft for asking that.

prjVZvi.jpg

Back