What's new
Are we talking about the same problem ? I personally never had a problem with KOF98 boot up, it could be after 10-40 minutes playing in my case.

I will start a fresh sd card again, and redownload every file.
koF98 as we all know has protection. The effect of this is that enemies can go outside the screen and is not possible to play the game properly. For this a patched version will be used for now.
The o ther issue which is newly introduced but only happens to some people is the Red warning screen. I dont have it in any of my motherboards whatever FW I roll back to.

Which one do you have?

The game works in BOTH MVS and AES (CONSOLE) mode with 20181003 firmware and 20181017 menu... Old top file from may, i think...
Can you please try to narrow it down? If you update to newest menu for example and keep that 20181003 firmware and Old top file from may. Does it still work?
I did some tests...

20181003 firmware + May top file + 20181203 menu = black screen after initializing.
20181003 firmware + May top file + 20181017 menu = KOF98 works in both MVS and AES mode.
20181205 firmware + May top file + 20181017 menu = KOF98 works in both MVS and AES mode, UP + start, RIGHT + start don't work.
20181205 firmware + 20181206 top file + 20181017 menu = KOF98 works in both MVS and AES mode, Everything ok!
20181205 firmware + 20181206 top file + 20181129 menu = KOF98 doesn't work in MVS mode (WARNING SCREEN - freeze).
20181205 firmware + 20181206 top file + 20181203 menu = KOF98 doesn't work in MVS mode (WARNING SCREEN - freeze).

So it may be the menu... :)

to @archimage, @Tgames,@'opossumit', @tom5151 and everyone with issues with KOF98, please try this top file (use the latest flash.img and menu from the 1st post).

Notice that newest menu is from 3rd December and it fixes the logo issue among other things.
@Darksoft, you have right the new menu from 3rd December fix the logo issue ! I can confirm this too :).
Except on the first boot when accessing to the menu.

Still red Warning screen with KOF98 with the new menu.

to @archimage, @Tgames,@'opossumit', @tom5151 and everyone with issues with KOF98, please try this top file (use the latest flash.img and menu from the 1st post).

Notice that newest menu is from 3rd December and it fixes the logo issue among other things.
@Darksoft, you have right the new menu from 3rd December fix the logo issue ! I can confirm this too :).Except on the first boot when accessing to the menu.

Still red Warning screen with KOF98 with the new menu.
Same here, I still have the same warning red screen with kof98.
Looks like there is a mismatch between unibios (4.0 for me) and multi system configuration.
If I set multi system configuration to MVS / Japan, the game configuration menu is in English (should be in Japanese), and when I set the system configuration to MVS / Europe, the game configuration is in English...

EDIT: just tried with an original bios, and kof 98 is working fine. So, sounds like it's an unibios / multi issue

Last edited:
formated fresh card with 32gb sandisk cluster size 64k :

- roll-up pack pack https://mega.nz/#F!PkV1nC7a!c5NUnfBhvxv7UCuQpfqS2g
- menu 20181203
- flash 20181205
- top 20181206

kof98 boots fine on my side
Which BIOS do you use?
I think the issue is related to the menu trying to force a region/mode and the UNIBIOS doing the same. In my MV1A it works well and whatever mode/region I force in the menu, shows also up in the UNIBIOS and vice-versa.
Earlier versions of the Menu work well because they didn't have support to force region/mode.

I am using original bios.

Don't know exactly which one.

I am happy to announce that I have finally finished the game without any crash.

Finished the 3 available versions in the roll-up pack entirely.

But I must say I noticed some oddities.

First game I flashed was the MVS version.

It was the only game in Slot 1. It was in english first. Finished the game but noticed some white pixels during the game nothing very bad.

Then I came back to the menu, turned blood on/on flashed the 2 other slots with MVS/AES and the other MVS version.

Didn't pay attention to language and was wondering why it was in the game settings. Also asked myself if it was actually game specific or dependant from the rom or the region in the system.

Launched the second slot and found out the game was in Japanese.

Finished the game without any white pixel.

Came back to the menu and found out the game setting was english.

Blood/flash was turned off again, turned it on for all games.

Tried the third slot, it was still in Japanese.

Finished the game and rebooted to the menu. Blood settings were off. Again turned them on. Language was still english but japanese inside the game. Then I entered the system configuration and turned english on.

Fired the first game again and found out it was in english, came back to the game settings. The language line disappeared but the blood was always off.

In conclusion the game is now working completely but I am still confused what is causing trouble in the process.

I also noticed some options that weren't working before like AES mode are working now

Was it the complete redownload and format of the SD card ? Was it the latest top file ?

I can't say precisely why this happens.

I hope this report was useful.

EDIT : Tried AES mode it works too but I can still see credits

Last edited:
I'm confused as well with this force region / mode.

When I first flashed kof 98 (which I guess is an original bios because of this green screen when booting), everything was working fine.
The game was in English and and was booting without this red warning screen.
Then I've changed in test menu to activate blood / flash. So far so good.
I went back to the menu and decided to check the game configuration, but the result was "please, run the game first".
So I decided to check the system configuration and the region was empty.
So, let's put MVS / Europe, but now the game configuration is in Japanese in the multi, even if everything is fine (I Mean MVS / Europe) when booting the game.

So, I think there are issues as well with non unibios bios, but at least, game is booting :)

Kof98 crashed again when I flashed it after trying some Metal Slug games... so it's not settled yet. I really thought it was over after finishing the game 3 times in a row.

Concerning the game settings. I succesfully turned on blood on Metal Slug 5 after trying twice. Now I have blood/flash on/on by default on kof98 after I had it activated on MS5 which was on the same slot. Language setting came back in the game settings.

EDIT : Now I realize each time I change the region on the system configuration it changes the game configuration. For example when I set Europe the system configuration appears in japanese language. When I set the system to Japan, I get language settings on game configuration. When set to USA the language setting disappears.

Last edited:
battery is working fine the calendar was still ok voltage is 5.00

I believe there is a mismatch between system region and game settings for this game. We should give this a try. Maybe it's confusing for the game to read some flags it is not supposed to have.

EDIT : There is a mismatch between system region and game settings for all games. Even in MS5 the game settings appear in japanese when region is set to Europe. USA appears to be ok. But it crashes too

Last edited:
I believe there is a mismatch between system region and game settings for this game.
Yes, it happens for all games, not only this one. Looks like the configuration for EUR and JAP are exchanged and USA is OK.
Also @tom5151 mentioned this.

I noticed something else now.

When I set to USA the game launches in USA but when I clear the nvram. I get 2 cycles of the green screen the it reverts to Japan (which has not japanese text).

When it's set to Europe it behaves the same.

This doesn't happen everytime but most of time after nvram clear.

My intuition leads me to think my bios is japanese and it defaults back to that but it doesn't find the japanese settings but european instead.

EDIT : Is japanese text specific to the KOF98 ALT version ? I can't get it to work on japanese on other versions.

EDIT 2 : I got it Japanese text only works after a fresh flash on any version. Clearing nvram resets to japan region with bad settings. Now next step is to finish the game with japanese text and see if the problem is here

EDIT 3 : even in japanese language the game rebooted to turn in english. rebooted another time and it was in english... without any menu interaction i'm done tonight I am puzzled.

Last edited:
Hi, i would like t update to the newes fw and menu version of December. Is this procedure from SVM still valid?

#1 removed SD card
#2 cleared NVRAM
#3 deleted BUFF file on the SD card
#4 copied flash.img file to update folder of the SD card
#5 put SD card back into the MVS, powered MVS on and waited until the update was finished
#6 removed SD card
#7 cleared NVRAM
#8 deleted BUFF file on the SD card
#9 copied top file to update folder of the SD card
#10 put SD card back into the MVS, powered MVS on and waited until the update was finished
#11 removed SD card
#12 cleared NVRAM
#13 deleted BUFF file on the SD card
#14 copied menu folder with files to update folder of the SD card
#15 put SD card back into the MVS, powered MVS on and waited until the update was finished
#16 power cycling - done

Yes, that is exactly the method that I have been using to do updates, and I've not had any issues :thumbup:

ok. I have a REGION file in my SD card. Have I to delete it at every step when i delete the BUFF file?

Yes, that is exactly the method that I have been using to do updates, and I've not had any issues :thumbup:
I am still wondering how come these issues happen to me and not you I followed the exact same steps. What mobo/bios do you have ?

Back