What's new
Yes, just to be sure... Am I only flashing the previous FW prior to going back to the newer versions? Or, should I do the old FW, then TOP, confirm...then the new FW and new TOP, all as separate boots (clear NVRAM each time)? If both, just want to confirm the order of the downgrade as well.
Just to clarify, when I did the above, I only downgraded the FW and did nothing with the TOP.
Darksoft - would love your feedback here still. I'm sitting on this as I don't want to haphazardly try things out of proper order. Thanks again.

The top file works in conjunction with the firmware, I wouldn't attempt to run a newer version with the older... It's bound to cause issues.
This is all you need to do when updating now...
  1. remove cart from MVS
  2. clear MVS NVRAM
  3. delete BUFF files from SD
  4. place ALL update files (firmware, top and menu) into the update folder (all at one time)
  5. insert SD in multi cart and multi cart in MVS
  6. power on and WAIT (do not power down, wait for cart to load menu first, this takes a while because its updating and generating new BUFF files)

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I don't know. I've tried everything I know how to. Put my rechargeable battery back in, let the unit run for a few hours and it took a charge. Battery is def good.

Flash back the FW and Top to the prior version and still get the Rom error there too. It's on like 50% of the games at least. It seems like the larger Meg count games are more prone to have the error, but that could be coincidence so far too.

Every other update was fine and everything worked (aside from the same KoF 98 stuff that others had). I've had no changes in the setup at all and updating the same way... Had the cart since the beginning.

Any other ideas?

So, I don't know. I've tried everything I know how to. Put my rechargeable battery back in, let the unit run for a few hours and it took a charge. Battery is def good.

Flash back the FW and Top to the prior version and still get the Rom error there too. It's on like 50% of the games at least. It seems like the larger Meg count games are more prone to have the error, but that could be coincidence so far too.

Every other update was fine and everything worked (aside from the same KoF 98 stuff that others had). I've had no changes in the setup at all and updating the same way... Had the cart since the beginning.

Any other ideas?
Let's do things properly. Do you have another MVS where you can try this? Can you please update the flash.img file first and then the top?
There is only two options, so one of them should make your cart go to the prvious state. Please confirm which FW you had before, now and which one are you trying to downgrade now to.

What kind of PSU do you use?
Suzo Happ pinned at 5.0v - it's worked perfectly and I've had the cart since launch.
Let's do things properly. Do you have another MVS where you can try this? Can you please update the flash.img file first and then the top?There is only two options, so one of them should make your cart go to the prvious state. Please confirm which FW you had before, now and which one are you trying to downgrade now to.
I have a 4-slot cabinet that I can try later on.

I've always flashed the FW then the TOP, every update. The only thing that was different this time is that my battery was likely dead when I did the latest update. It's good now, but was dead at the time of the flash.
When I've downgraded/upgraded, each time I check to see if that version has taken and each time it has. What I most recently tried to flash up to is the latest set that's current now.
Prior to that, I'm not positive, but I likely wouldn't have missed more than one revision as I'm usually on top of it. I've been using the "20190402_r1040" pack to downgrade during the latest testing.

Its rechargeable so no problems with that, the voltage seems a little high tho...

LIR2032 = 3.6v (rechargeable but higher voltage than needed might cause long term damage)
CR2032 = 3.0v (correct voltage, but not rechargeable so must disable charging circuit)

VL2020 = 3.0v (correct voltage and fully rechargeable)
ML2032 = 3.0v (correct voltage and fully rechargeable)
Very strange what you said, because i have a MV1C and the original battery was a Toshiba 3.6V coin battery.

So i replaced it with a new 3.6V rechargeable coin battery and works great.

I'm sure about that because it's really written 3.6V on the old battery.

So 3.6V should cause no damages or problems with MV1C because it was the original value of the original coin battery.

@jassin000 your statement is just wrong, I also removed factory installed 3.6v batteries from several boards and always assumed this is the spec and a 3.0v CR2032 is too low officially

But I always use CR2032 with a holder and disable charging system, works just fine.

Also look at the silk screens in this guide;
http://www.arcadecomponents.com/f/Neo_Geo_Battery_Replacement.pdf

Last edited:
Isn't the battery putting voltage to the VCC pin of the SRAM? Surely anything closest to 5V is the best?

I made it over to @ekorz place today and we were able to troubleshoot with his gear as I didn't have mine with me at the time. He hadn't flashed the new assets yet, so his cart worked fine initially. We then flashed up to current for all (3) pieces. He had the same results (Rom region error on most games) as I have for both the 1C and his 1B. We then flashed back down a couple of versions and things were back to stable on both boards.

I took the version that he had known working and suspecting this being a FW only issue, I just flashed the FW to my cart and all things are back to working as well.

The FW version we went back to is 03f3, build a324. I am pretty sure that I missed the last update as well, so this very well may have been the version I was running prior to attempting the latest files.

I want to note that I did NOT touch the top or menu and only flashed the 03f3 FW and that resolved the symptoms. My plan was to start there and go one at a time to troubleshoot, but it wasn't needed.

I can do more testing if it's needed in order to help make a fix. Please let me know. Thanks.

I can keep doing testing too, just lemme know. MV1C has a unibios, MV1B is stock. I didn’t goof around with any of the carts region setting or anything else really, just wanted to find a stable reversion (which we did). But I certainly had the same issues on the most recent firmware.

I made it over to @ekorz place today and we were able to troubleshoot with his gear as I didn't have mine with me at the time. He hadn't flashed the new assets yet, so his cart worked fine initially. We then flashed up to current for all (3) pieces. He had the same results (Rom region error on most games) as I have for both the 1C and his 1B. We then flashed back down a couple of versions and things were back to stable on both boards.

I took the version that he had known working and suspecting this being a FW only issue, I just flashed the FW to my cart and all things are back to working as well.

The FW version we went back to is 03f3, build a324. I am pretty sure that I missed the last update as well, so this very well may have been the version I was running prior to attempting the latest files.

I want to note that I did NOT touch the top or menu and only flashed the 03f3 FW and that resolved the symptoms. My plan was to start there and go one at a time to troubleshoot, but it wasn't needed.

I can do more testing if it's needed in order to help make a fix. Please let me know. Thanks.
Thanks noonan. The newest firmware must be introducing some new bug, probably related to communication between the microprocessor in the cart and the arm. We'll have a look at it ASAP.

Hi guys

I update the firmware today all is fine and then i update the top file and know nothing is right. Did you know where i can download an orlder top file to downgrade it pleas? I do that on my AES

Thank you

Back