What's new

Blackfish

Professional
Reaction score
Hey I'm in the process of setting up MAME 0.194 running in a WIN 10 VM on my MacBook for the sole purpose of ROM checking and PCB repair and was wondering if there was a rom set available without all the bullshit gambling machines etc?

Been a long time since I last set up MAME so if there is a decent set available or if its a better idea to just download the individual game sets as I need them?

If there is a guide or anyone has some advice on the best ways to go about this I'm keen to hear it. Feel free to PM me if there is a link I should use.

I personally grab the roms as I need them, unless you grab a full set with all the various revisions. You won't always be working with the main version of the game I guess is what I'm saying.

I have the full 194 set from pleasuredome - its a ratio site so you won't be able to get the lot in one go as youll get shit-listed and blocked from downloading.

It's a right pita to keep all the mame files up to date. Your better off getting the bios files and just what you want to play.

If you were in Europe I could post a hdd to you but to NZ it might not be cost effective.

Thanks for the info guys. I have rejoined at PleasureDome, pretty sure I used to have an account a long time ago. So I will start the long slow process of leeching and seeding Yay. haha

you can always open the torrent file and only tick the ones you want - then start downloading. That way you don't waste ratio on crap you don't want/Need.

why are you using a VM to add issues?you can compile mame on Win, Lin and OSX(BSD)

why are you using a VM to add issues?you can compile mame on Win, Lin and OSX(BSD)
Honestly its because the last time I installed MAME there was only ports of MAME on OS X. I just assumed that was still the case. Also I thought it would be more compatible with my Eprom programmer if it was on a Windows platform. I guess I can try the OS X build and see if I can find software for my programmer on the Mac.

good question.
it depends how much you intend to have.
merged sets use far less zip files.

dont forget that bios files and stuff like JVS i/o are also in a seperate zip now.

So I managed to compile Mame64 after a couple of failed attempts and a lot of Googling. Not the most straight forward process until you figure it out and then its seems easy.

Have the Non-merged roms on the DL now. Not looking forward to the CHD's but not sure how much I need them right now anyway.

i only download CHD's for stuff i own or work on.

both for making drives, and just for comparing how they look on screen.

Back