What's new

Friend

Beginner
Reaction score
I recently bought a Naomi 1, a Capcom I/O, and a Net Dimm board to go along with my super gun. While researching I found out that you need an extra power supply to power the Naomi + netdimm. I was wondering what power supply should I use or if there is a way to modify cheap computer power supplies to work. I also want to make sure I have the wiring correct. I am using white and red audio cables to connect the naomi and the I/O along with a usb a to b cord, and a vga to vga cable. I have already replaced the bios chip for the Naomi, and the NetDimm board. I was wondering if there is anything else I need to do. Thank you.

Thank you that is very much appreciated. Do you know if there is a certain power supply I need to power it using this adapter or if really any computer power supply should work?

Thank you that is very much appreciated. Do you know if there is a certain power supply I need to power it using this adapter or if really any computer power supply should work?
Check your private messages, I've sent you some info.

You want to buy a Sun power supply as you need 3.3 volts for Naomi.

:D

Standard ATX PSUs output 3.3V, so I'm not sure what you mean by that. Maybe let us know here if you have more info on these PSU adapters?

ATX supplies aren't always the best because you cant adjust the voltages. This can cause insufficient 5v and 3.3v at the pcb. Try to find one with adjustable voltages. Getting a cheap PSU isn't really good practice for Naomi, Chihiro, Triforce, etc.

Standard ATX PSUs output 3.3V, so I'm not sure what you mean by that. Maybe let us know here if you have more info on these PSU adapters?
IIRC, it's not so much the presence of the 3.3V, but that most ATX power supplies aren't able to supply sufficient 3.3V. I forget how many watts on 3.3V the whole setup requires however.

I only mean that the Sun power supply goes perfectly with Naomi. There are plenty of people who use other supplies I'm sure.

I only mean that the Sun power supply goes perfectly with Naomi. There are plenty of people who use other supplies I'm sure.
^This^

+ the SUN PSU has adjustable 3.3v and adjustable 5v pots :)

Please don't cheap out on your NAOMI setup. This could cause problems in the long run. Unfortunately, I have only been able to buy SUNS naomi PSU from ebay. But you never know, someone around here could probably hook up with one or someone else that has extras. They usually cost around 100$ before shipping (at least back when I bought mine). They are ready to go and most reps are previous arcade owners. As for ATX to NAOMI, I have personally never ventured in that direction. And considering most ATX PSUs normally dont allow for adjustments. I would not recommend that as a first choice. I have had my SUNS for 2 years now. Yeah its old and used but damn is purrs like a cats. Granted I really need to change the fan out. But hey, if you are this deep into arcade stuff. YOU KNOW YOU NEED TO CHANGE THEM FANS HOMIES! LOL.

#arcade_changethefans

I have used a Corsair RM750 with a naomi setup for like 2 years and have never had any issues with it supplying enough power, correct voltages. I got it as a refurbished PSU for $60 at MicroCenter.

But if you can get SUN psu, I say go for that.

Also, I have seem some use Dreamcast PSU units successfully with a Naomi setup.

Last edited:
ATX supplies are fine - they have plenty of oomphf, it's the adapter and cables that's critical.
You definitely want to use as many wires from the ATX side as possible to avoid voltage drop. If you don't have any voltage drop to speak of, you don't need to fiddle with adjustments.

Attached a picture of the one I recently made.

Some details on voltage drop here:
https://irkenlabs.com/jammafier/power

In practice, for 3.3V and 5V you want to use 4 wires for each rail from ATX supply - resulting in 4xAWG18=1xAWG12 - which is plenty.

Attachments

• atx adapter.JPG
    atx adapter.JPG
    639.9 KB · Views: 45
Back