What's new
I recently had the same problem and just reflowed them and it fixed it. Are you pressing on both at the same time?

Yes I tried pressing both at the same time. Reflowing processor is not part of my basic skill set.
Would you be able to do it against a fee if I were to send you the board?

Reflowing processor is not part of my basic skill set
If this board is junk to you anyway it can't hurt to try.

I like to reflow with a heat gun, I work it around slowly until the solder joints looks shinny as hell.
A word of caution tho, stay far away from caps with that heat gun!
Wrap them in aluminum foil to help protect them from the heat if you can't/don't want to remove first.

If you don't, they will POP just like popcorn. :P

Yes I tried pressing both at the same time. Reflowing processor is not part of my basic skill set.
Would you be able to do it against a fee if I were to send you the board?
hey send me a pm if you want.

I'm installing the ST-V multi for a forum member and I'm really struggling with it somehow, don't have a ST-V myself so cannot compare.

I did install the cart, LCD selector, reset wires and sound wire, and the motherboard has a fresh battery and modbios if that matters.
Modbios is v1.11 and default set to Japan

My symptom is that when I select a game on the LCD and start it, I do hear the 'SEGA' sound via the sound mod and it reboots, but the screen stays black.
After selecting the game again on the LCD I get 2 options depending on the game:
1. It reboots, shows the cart name on top of the screen and loads the game (this happens on very few games)
2. It reboots, show a check cart connector and press service to exit message, if I press service now, it boots to the ST-V post screen as if no cart is installed

What I tried so far;
1. reseating the cart
2. formatting the SD and loading the latest Smokemonster pack
3. Re-flash the Arduino with the file included in the Smokemonster pack, v.3.0C IIRC

Not sure on the cart firmware, but it was purchased last year so this should be the latest right?

This is how the reset wire is installed;

index.php

Last edited:
to add to the above, I did test the cart before installing the LCD and reset wires
So with original jumpers and no reset wire and still I had problems with loading games, some worked, some didn't after a power cycle of the cab

Didn't think much of it as I thought it was because of the 'missing' reset wire or something

Last edited:
Which game(s)? It's been a while but I recall some roms requiring the bios to be set at a particular region.

Only ones I found working after the 2nd reboot is
Tecmo Soccer something
Virtua fighter rmx
Virtua fighter kids

Shienryu did work yesterday, but gives me the cart error now as well

As far as I know 99% should work on JAP region?

It reads modbios 1.11 on the post screen, like this;

modbios_screen.jpg

Also went into the (extended) test menu, slave CPU tests as GOOD, presing down both CPU's didn't do anything for me.

Also I did notice that if I load something like Tecmo Soccer of Virtua Fighter, these carts get recognized in the test menu.
While the other non working games show up as an empty cart in the test menu?
So it appears that the multi doesn’t load the games properly?

Like this (not my pic, but random Google pic)
DSC00188.JPG

Last edited:
Cab is set as 2P, so most games should work.
Issue is that the multi shows up as blanc in the test mode, so it doesn’t load the game

Yes, that's what happens when you choose the wrong type of cabinet. Change to 1P or 3P and give it a go please.

Tried with 1/2/3p setup, still the same, games do not get loaded to the cart?

Error on cartride
Press service button to exit

then if all other games work, you probably have the wrong rom region. Which bios do you have?

Back