What's new
After spending more hours than I would care to admit to, tracking down an unconnected ground wire - I am very happy to report it works!

I am now able to play Outrun 2 SP SDX using a Lindbergh connected via COM1 to my arduino, which is in turn connected to the original Chihiro FFB board.
The Arduino passes the initialization test (and rotates the wheel to the right), then in the game its strong enough to rip the wheel out of your hands when set to 100%.

I haven't noticed any perceivable lag in the feedback.

After seeing the difference in the graphics running the 1280x768 version, I'm determined to replace the CRT with a modern widescreen monitor, even if it means losing some screen height.

Everything is currently built on an Arduino prototype board, long term I would like to produce a proper PCB.

Good news. Let us know if you try more games, and make sure you document that CRT --> LED change for us to see :)

Did you end up having to do anything other than pass communications back and forth? I was finding my attempts ended up in a pretty weak feedback.

If you release a PCB, I'll take some! Great job.

Did you end up having to do anything other than pass communications back and forth? I was finding my attempts ended up in a pretty weak feedback.
Nope, straight pass through.
With the motor set to 100% the steering feels heavy (which I quite like). At the default 80% I think it might be slightly weaker than the Chihiro, but I don't believe that's anything to do with the pass-through, its just how they have tweaked the game.
Its also possible that the Lindbergh FFB board is heavier on the feedback with the same values compared with the Chihiro one. I may look into adding the option to make the pass-through increase the values as it receives them. Probably not a high priority, unless other games badly need it.

After owning the Chihiro Outrun 2 SP for many years, I can confirm there are subtle differences in the game compared with the Lindbergh version.
For example, the solar flare as you race along the beach side near the start of Stage 1. On the Lindbergh its completely blinding and you have to take the corner almost unsighted.

Amazing work. Didn't occur to me that the Chihiro FFB could be re-used. I ended up buying an expensive Lindbergh FFB for my cab - I love the Lindbergh version but always wince turning it on - worried that pricey feedback board might one day die :(

I've a second cab that I'm about to LCD - I have the right LCD, just need to bend up a Bezel to mount it on. If you are willing to share any more details on the Arduino setup (I'm reasonably familiar with them) that would be great. No worries though if you are looking to produce some PCBs - understand you've invested a lot of time in this!

Anyway - fantastic job!

any possibility the ffb adapter could be used to run mario kart using the chihiro ffb?

i think this is the Outrun 2 SP SDX FFB for using dual steering wheels on the Lindbergh. i think this may be why your data was 7 bytes long. looks like there are 2 ic for handiling the seperate FF for each steering wheel. (not that this info matters for your project but knowing this board exists may help)
No, that's not right.
It works like this on the SDX cabinet:

Lindbergh COM1 (RS232) -> RS422 -> 838-14597 -> 2x 838-14592-91 FFB boards

Mario Kart uses the Namco board. It would require protocol translation. I've got a proof of concept translator for it programmed and working on the Sega hardware, but haven't finalized anything.

Mario Kart uses the Namco board. It would require protocol translation. I've got a proof of concept translator for it programmed and working on the Sega hardware, but haven't finalized anything.
I don't have any namco gear, so I can't even help test it.
What's the bare minimum hardware I would need to get the game to boot?

The game isn't very restrictive on i/o, so whatever works with OR2 will work with it. That would get you booted without FFB.

i think this is the Outrun 2 SP SDX FFB for using dual steering wheels on the Lindbergh. i think this may be why your data was 7 bytes long. looks like there are 2 ic for handiling the seperate FF for each steering wheel. (not that this info matters for your project but knowing this board exists may help)
No, that's not right.It works like this on the SDX cabinet:

Lindbergh COM1 (RS232) -> RS422 -> 838-14597 -> 2x 838-14592-91 FFB boards
thanks. I removed the incorrect post.

any possibility the ffb adapter could be used to run mario kart using the chihiro ffb?
What hardware does mario kart run on?
runs on sega triforce hardware. Plug and play when working with sega outrun 2 cabinet. Some i/o pins need to be changed and item button added or some people use the change view button

What hardware does mario kart run on?
runs on sega triforce hardware. Plug and play when working with sega outrun 2 cabinet. Some i/o pins need to be changed and item button added or some people use the change view button
I notice that tri force boards seem to be sold separately from the net dimm. Do I also need a net dimm?

What type of power supply do I need? Will anything in my or2sp cab power it?

If I can get a Mario setup cheap I’ll add support for it.

you need a type 3 triforce the one that looks like curved pipe. the type 1 doesnt work with mario kart (the one that the naomi net dimm fits in it). also i realized you have a chihiro. you can run maximum tune 1&2 it uses the same force feedback board as the triforce/mario kart.

Back