What's new

dlfrsilver

Beginner
Reaction score
Repaired my beloved Armored Warriors CPS2 A-board.

The sound was pure shit, faint, and noisy. Recapped the big 1000uf 25v capacitor, as well as all the big caps on the sound section.

Tested, sound is back ! :D

Good information. But I think it will be more helpful if you point out how you reached that conclussion, what did you test before and maybe one or two pics. You will only get compliments, trust me :)

Why ? I had some music and sound, but it was very dirty, and noisy. In 95% of the cases, it's due to dry capacitors or failing capacitors.

Since the CPS-2 board (at least all those i bought lately) had almost no sound, the culprit stands on the capacitors most of the time.

I have removed the big one, and tested it with my ESR meter. LOL almost 1200uf when it should be 1000uf......

I have also replaced the capacitor 220uf 16v which sits next to the push button sound levels, because the sound high and low was not reacting.

Once removed, tested with the ESR meter. Same as the big big one, the value in uf was 289uf instead of 220uf. Crap value.

For security, i replaced as well the 2 220uf 16V just aside the Sound AMP chip.

PS : Capcom CPS2 are pure bitches for servicing, it requires 350°C to correctly remove the capacitors, and a hole cleaner to make it nice and clean.

For pictures, i will post them tomorrow :)

the smaller caps fail first - you should replace the set.

sounds more like a cracked solderjoint to me. Since I haven't seen other than (M) rated caps in cps2 boards, which are +/- 20%, that would lead me to believe that the caps were well in spec.

To measure the capacitance properly it's important to set the frequency according to the datasheet of the cap.

Nevertheless it's great that you got the sound back properly on this absolute masterpiece of a game! :D

And I don't mean to come of as a "smartass" with the comment, I just want to give a tip about how to think when to measure and how to be sure that the component actually is faulty or not.

1200uF on a 1000uF is barely in spec at +/- 20% - so yes it's technically still ok but it's certainly on the borderline.

289uF on a 220uF is WAY out... That's about 30% off original value.

Sounds to me like the cap replacement was the right decision....

vastly increased capacitance is a sign of electrical leakage.
my component tester shows both and i'v seen the pattern many times.

my atmel based tester shows all 3, capacitance, esr and leakage.

Back