What's new

Solmin

Professional
Reaction score
Has anyone used SEAMAIL through Buyee? I'm considering using it as the cost the difference is like $225 vs $85

thanks!

Not used, but i imagine the package(s) gets put into a container and shipped in a large container, bulk, by sea, which takes a long long time (at least 4 weeks or something similar.)

Did it once or twice, if your lucky it gets there in 4 weeks, if you are not so lucky up to 2-3 months...

I use it all the time - takes 60-80 days from Tokyo to England. The main issue is the lack of tracking information, leaves Japan and I find I'm checking every few days once 60 days pass as you only get an update once marked as received into customs.

Also depends on what type of items your are shipping.

Consider the following:
Item Value
Item Weight
Item Size
Potential Risk for Item Damage in Transit
Shipping Time
Cost

I ship all my pcbs/pc based games and related items express or priority. As these have a higher risk to being damaged the longer they are in transit.

Yeah, it just takes forever. Like mentioned above, expect 2-3 months. If I'm buying something larger (say multiple System 2x6's), I'll do it just for $ savings. It's 15+ year old hardware...what's a few more months.

I hate it when I need to sign for it when it arrives and I'm not home. I've had EMS packages get here in 3 days, but it takes me 4 days to be able to pick it up form the local PO (wknds, holidays, standard post office BS).

I've used sea mail from buyee twice now.. took ~60 days both times.

I use it for bulky items that have a lower chance of damage. For instance I shipped a Taito Type X2 this way since it's big and heavy and has a metal cage to help protect it.

I wouldn't recommend shipping normal PCBs this way.

I use sea mail nearly every time now using Buyee.It takes at least 60 days sometimes as long as 75 from Tokyo to the U.K.
If you use the protective packing option they do pack it really well with lots of thick bubble wrap.Well worth the extra 1000¥

If you don't need the item right away, then Seamail is a good choice. Usually takes 2 months for the items to arrive. You MUST select the extra protective packing if you do choose Seamail. Otherwise you will receive a box of broken bits. I filed 2 claims against Buyee through my credit card company as the non-protective packaging was so inexcusable for any sort of international shipping. My credit card company refunded me the the entire amount for both transactions.

I've used sea mail twice through From Japan to ship consoles and both times they arrived in the same condition I'd seen them in on YAJ - as others have said, the small amount of extra for the additional protective packaging is a good idea.

In both cases my items were repackaged by FJ into sturdy boxes with lots of packaging (they were FJ branded boxes so not what the original seller sent them in).

With my Dreamcast they also put the accessories into the main Dreamcast box and loaded that with bubble wrap.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! The item is a Toei 18 inch CRT and chassis. It's for my mini cute I need a monitor. I'm in no rush but I also don't want to damage it. Already selected the extra packaging option. Being reimbursed for a hard to find item isn't what I would worry about. I think I might just pay for the extra shipping :(

!!!Shipping an arcade monitor from Japan to the states....

i__ve_got_balls_of_steel_by_jjsonicblast86-d475jia.jpg

Dude, if thats what it is, extra protective packing and express shipping it is, its a gamble for sure, good luck!

I mean, I shipped two huge thin hollow plastic drums from Japan to here with zero damage. So it's possible? Fingers crossed on a monitor though...

Dude, if thats what it is, extra protective packing and express shipping it is, its a gamble for sure, good luck!
This, don't chance it with seamail for a full monitor. I've done it with a chassis before, but I'd be fearful for the tube.

I wonder what they consider extra packing on a monitor... I assume for ten bucks it's not crated...

Can we have a link to the auction for this monitor? Did they ship it fully enclosed to buyee?

Man, I hope the seller packed it/crated it extremely well. Nice monitor, good luck!!

damn... doesn't even have a frame.

well, if anyone can pack a monitor well I'd trust someone in Japan over just about anyone on eBay

Back