What's new

ZuPoint

Student
Reaction score
About time we had a Feedback thread for this fancy new Multi cart.

Please post your reviews, pic's or just a few words to let us all know how you are getting on with your new cart.

A few details on how your cart is setup eg Neo cab, supergun, type sd card etc would also be nice.
Hows the menu setup? Could it be better? What games you tried ?

This is not for tech help but just to spread your joy to others.

Let the feedback begin.

:thumbsup:

Please post specially your possitive feedback, we have the other thread for the problems ;)

mv1c
Sandisk 16gb
HAS supergun, pvm

Been too busy playing awesome games to write a review! No breaking issues so far, though admittedly I'm not a power user. I've only played some neo in the past, never owned more than a few carts. The multi is my excuse to get into neo geo more! I'll post some photos here later.

Overall it's awesome. Accessing the menu is easy, changing games is easy. Loading is fast. Everything seems to play perfectly to my untrained eye. Super happy so far.

Honestly though I do have a few nitpicks but they are menu related. Probably OK here since the support thread is for breaking stuff. The mod/s3m music files get off-time (second reality is very obviously wrong after a minute or two). The menu's in-game screenshots look poor to me, but that's probably the source image files or the image compression. Would be nice to clean those a bit though I'm not sure how. Still room for improvement but like all DS products I expect excellent support and useful updates. The core functionality is awesome already.

Nice to hear all going well.
What are you playing, have you found any new gems on Neo?

How did you find setting up the SD card ?

Does Ironclad game play on this cart?

Games to try:-

ZuPapa
Nightmare in the dark
Neo Golf ( a fast pace game )
Zed Blade
IronClad
Spinmasters
Top hunters.

Just to name a few great games ( i'm not a big fighting fan )

Nice to hear all going well.
What are you playing, have you found any new gems on Neo?

How did you find setting up the SD card ?

Does Ironclad game play on this cart?

Games to try:-

ZuPapa
Nightmare in the dark
Neo Golf ( a fast pace game )
Zed Blade
IronClad
Spinmasters
Top hunters.

Just to name a few great games ( i'm not a big fighting fan )
SD card setup was easy I guess. I just formatted with windows (7 i think) and that was that.

I just tried Ironclad, yes it works.

I *am* a fighting fan! So as it turns out the only one I had randomly tried that's on your list was Nightmare in the Dark. Pretty good if you like those kind of platformers. Off the top of my head I've tried MS2 (wow, slow), Kizuna Encounter, Far East of Eden: Kabuki Klash, Nightmare in the Dark, a few of the Samurai Showdowns, Garou, MVC Chaos, Last Blade 2, Waku Waku 7, Strikers 1945 Plus. The best new-gem-to-me has been Far East of Eden: Kabuki Klash. It's pretty fun! Just watch out for the bananas and poison :P

Photos from some games:

k95WDhA.jpg

BHyknDt.jpg

Some more comments since playing a bunch:
  • I need to change my battery. The menu animations are slow, and I dislike them personally. I want to save my preferences but my battery is totally dead.
  • in thumb view, after adding a game, hitting exit (3) pushes you back to the beginning of the thumb list, rather than to the game you just added. Not sure if that's a bug, but I'd certainly change it to how the list view behaves - add a game, return to the menu on that game.
  • Neo is an awesome system with an awesome library. Beautiful art & animation

I *once* got a cart error, but was unable to reproduce. It was when I was going from slot 3 to slot 1. I just rebooted.

jGGIJmF.jpg

Here's a shot of what the Unibios 3.3 screen looks like when returning to the menu, on my MV-1C. This routinely happens.

wwWAUnJ.jpg

Last edited:
Great to see your setup and hear all going great with your DS MVS Multi.

Not sure if it works with the DS MVS Multi but there's a Metal Slug 2 Turbo patch.

Only fighting games i play are old school, Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting.

I'm using a arcade cabinet with a 25" monitor. The cabinets JAMMA harness is wired for a 4-slot NEO GEO mainboard but I'm not using that, I'm using one of the bigger variants of the 1-slot mainboard (the one that you can change volume etc. easily). I had UniBIOS 3.1 but I reprogrammed the EPROM yesterday to 3.2 (latest free version). Everything worked like a charm on first attempt.

My Setup:

Taito Vewlix C cab w/ Taito Jamma Kit
MV-1FZ Mobo (working original battery, no mods/cap replacements, etc...hell I didnt even clean the cart slot contacts)
Unibios 3.3 (working as it should as far as I can tell, besides the logo corruption on first boot only, not really a bug, I say its working like it should)

Other things (not that they really matter, cart just works)
5.00v at the jamma edge (I have tested the cart from 4.56-5.16v and it still works the same)
Samsung EVO 16 & 32GB (Windows formatted FAT32, w/ Default and 64kb cluster sizes - no difference) I did however do a full format instead of quick formatting.
Cart was updated to the latest menu per the instructions.
Disabled the music
Boot to games and disable the menu timer
Controls work as they should.
Loaded 1, 2, 3 virtual slots without issues, switched slots, etc..

ALL tested so far has been fully working.

POSITIVE review from me thus far. I cant believe how fast games load. I gonna do a video with some timing of game load time.

Thank you guys :thumbsup:

Last edited:
4-slot Neo Geo Big Red. Just plugged it in for the first time today. First 3 games I tried: Dragon's Heaven (holy crap I guess I didn't realize just *how* incomplete it is), Nightmare In The Dark, and Money Puzzle Exchanger.

On the whole it's great, though I did run into a few minor (as in, wasn't paying close enough attention to even properly document them) bugs - presumably because I'm running a 4 slot system. Sound cut in and out a little on NitD. On the whole I'm psyched to have this and look forward to the updates that I know will be coming :)

One *great* note: It booted up first time every time on my 1st slot, and that's traditionally the one that I have to re-seat multiple times with most games to get it to work, so hooray there!

Still waiting for my MULTI but after reading here and in the help thread, I'd say lowering the voltage must not be more but a test setting - the cart must be able to run flawlessly with 5V ;)

This has to be solved and also applies to the garbled uni-bios screen... :/

just my 2 cents

Hi

I just received and tested my DS neogeo cart, thanks! the packaging was very nice and both the cardboard box and the cart arrived fine. The plastic protector played a big part of keeping the box nice, I guess.

First, I'll put here the setup I have tested:

- I am using an MV-1C board, connected to a PVM through a HAS supergun.
- Chinese arcade power supply set to 5.05V according to supergun's voltmeter
- Using UniBIOS v 3.3
- The MV-1C board has a virtual memory card (the ones made by NTM).
- I enabled the option of the UniBIOS of saving scores to the memory card (putting ! as the las character in the memory card name, IRC). There were already scores saved.

Now, my observations:

- The shell of my cart seems to have been painted with dark-gray spray paint. It does not look original (but I know it is), and the paint can be scraped easily. Not really impressed by the finishing :( . Edit: it is not paint, it is something else, because just smudging the cart with the finger, removes the coating and painted my finger all black. No idea what it is.
- As soon as I received the cart, I formatted a 32GB card, and uncompressed there the file from this post: Neo Geo Roll-Up Pack: All ROMs for the MVS & AES Multis
- I used Linux (Fedora 27) for all the memory card-related operations. Used fdisk to partition, mkfs.vfat to format. Seems to work fine.
- Formatted with 64 sectors per cluster. I think that's 32kB clusters.
- The cart requires no more effort to insert or remove than any original cart.
- There is some corruption, or something on the left side of the screen while the cart loads.
- There are no strange pixels that I can see, (knock on wood) neither on the menu nor on the games, like other users have reported.
- The flashing process does not seem polished. Some strange black-and-white patterns (noise?) are displayed during the flashing process, with no progress indicator. Granted, it does not take long (less than a minute for 3 big games), but polishing should go in all areas IMO.
- The DarkSoft logo on start seems to make the cart slow. I like it, and it is nice that it's there, but can the animation be disabled somehow? maybe an option?
- Despite I having selected for the cart to boot to "MENU", it boots to the list of games and after 3 seconds it boots the first game. Is that what It should do?
- The menu does not display the names of the games completely (space limitations it seems) but, more annoying, the alphabetical sorting is wrong. Irritating maze and king of fighters are sorted towards the end, because their names start with "The", but are displayed as starting with I and K respectively.
- The three slots thingy is really nice, and is very fast. I tested flashing KOF2003, MSlug 3 and SSVS (biggest games for neo AFAIK) and it took just a bit more than a minute. I like that.
- A page with some printed instructions would have been nice :)
- When the cart first starts, the NeoGeo logo on the UniBIOS is corrupted. I think that's because the image is taken from some part of the inserted cart by the BIOS, and when the cart first starts there's nothing there, am I correct?
- I saw no way of changing and saving the DIP switches for a game, is this possible or did I just dream it?
- The cart does not work with MVS to AES converters. Neither the Daedalus nor the Magic Key MVS worked at all.
- There seems to be some strange conflict with the UniBIOS and the cart, since the games do not display scores. The attached pics are from Metal Slug X, 5 and 3. The only displayed record was made by me, while playing (yep, I suck badly at MSX).

So far, I am pleased with the workings of the cart, however I really hope it gets improved and polished.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 462
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 434
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
@aha2940 thanks for feedback. We'll polish all the remaining things.

Answering some of your questions:
* We will improve the animations/logo so they can be skipped and will change also the listing of the game names.
* You chose boot to menu and it goes to the list directly and after 3 seconds boots one game?
* We are improving the instructions, but definitely to include a quick instructions leaflet is a good idea.
* The Unibios logo is ONLY at the beggining corrupted because the cart is accessing the buses at the same time than the BIOS tries to do it.
* Dip Switches are stored in the microSD and can be changed from the menu. Have a look again.

He @aha2940, thanks for using the rom pack I uploaded, hope you like it :)

- I saw no way of changing and saving the DIP switches for a game, is this possible or did I just dream it?
If you go to the menu, beneath the 'games list', there is 'games configurations' where you can change the dips of the 3 games loaded in the slots.

Now, my observations:

- The shell of my cart seems to have been painted with dark-gray spray paint. It does not look original (but I know it is), and the paint can be scraped easily. Not really impressed by the finishing :( . Edit: it is not paint, it is something else, because just smudging the cart with the finger, removes the coating and painted my finger all black. No idea what it is.
All Cart are original Sandblasted shell (Me and Stefano have opened one by one)

I think that the plastic it's mixed up and seems a paint, but isn't it (or the factory didn't tell me nothing about)

We have paid only for sandblasting, no paint, nobody make a work in italy for free :)

I apologize for your hands

Aldo

Could the "coating" just be residue from the plastic that's been blasted away possibly? Mine didn't have anything that I noticed, though admittedly I didn't really handle it all that much.

Could the "coating" just be residue from the plastic that's been blasted away possibly? Mine didn't have anything that I noticed, though admittedly I didn't really handle it all that much.
I think it must be that.

@aha2940 thanks for feedback. We'll polish all the remaining things.

Answering some of your questions:
* We will improve the animations/logo so they can be skipped and will change also the listing of the game names.
* You chose boot to menu and it goes to the list directly and after 3 seconds boots one game?
* We are improving the instructions, but definitely to include a quick instructions leaflet is a good idea.
* The Unibios logo is ONLY at the beggining corrupted because the cart is accessing the buses at the same time than the BIOS tries to do it.
* Dip Switches are stored in the microSD and can be changed from the menu. Have a look again.
Thanks for the reply, @Darksoft, I would not like to see the logo go away, it's your brand and it deserves to be displayed, only that the animation may be disabled, and (possibly) the logo shown less time, I don't know. Regarding the menu, yes that's exactly what happened, will test again, maybe I misconfigured something. Indeed, the unbios logo is corrupted only when the cart loads the first time, the games themselves show it correctly. Will look for the DIP settings :) Thanks!!
He @aha2940, thanks for using the rom pack I uploaded, hope you like it :)

If you go to the menu, beneath the 'games list', there is 'games configurations' where you can change the dips of the 3 games loaded in the slots.
Hey! I really liked your pack, including all official roms + latest update is a very nice idea. Will look into the DIP settings :) Thanks!!

Now, my observations:

All Cart are original Sandblasted shell (Me and Stefano have opened one by one)
I think that the plastic it's mixed up and seems a paint, but isn't it (or the factory didn't tell me nothing about)

We have paid only for sandblasting, no paint, nobody make a work in italy for free :)

I apologize for your hands

Aldo
Hey Aldo, no problem, after cleaning the cart, it is fine. After thinking much, I realized what covers the shell is like graphite, like when you take a pencil (remember those?) and make a big stain with it on a paper or something. Both the color and what it left on my hands looks like it, however no clue how a cart shell may end up covered in graphite (or anything like it, for that matter). Thanks!!

Last edited:
Back