What's new
post foto's of the inside of the psu, and the mobo cpu area.

Here it is :)
eTQogI.jpg

HI6JBN.jpg

7xWVdv.jpg

VjdeuS.jpg

Have you tried a different PSU yet? If you haven't, you really should.

Not yet, I don’t have a spare psu with me right now and I would like to be sure the problem is the psu before I buy a new one.

Do you know anyone that games on PC... generally they'll have spare ATX PSUs that they'll just give you... Hell I've got boxes of them laying around for use in whatever projects might need one.

failing that you can buy used ones on eBay for $15 shipped, they're very useful to have around as a power source for testing things.

Thanks for the tip, I’ll try to sort out one. In the meantime, do you guys think there is something else I could try in order to understand what is the exact problem on my X2?

fully unplug the psu, so it is no longer connected to the x2, then hard power it on by groding the green wire to black on the atx connector to force it on outside the x2, then take a multi meter and check all your ata voltages,

doing that seems like alot of a hassle when you can take a powersupply out ANY working computer made in the last 20 years and slap it in there to see if it boots. on top of depending where you are powersupplys for pcs range form 5-50$ for something that could power an x2

You don't have a desktop PC? No one you know has one? ?(

fully unplug the psu, so it is no longer connected to the x2, then hard power it on by groding the green wire to black on the atx connector to force it on outside the x2, then take a multi meter and check all your ata voltages,
Then there's the problem that it isn't under load, so it could give OK readings even though it's not OK.

I think the fact that the fans weren't spinning was indication that there was a PSU problem before it stopped working.

Fun fact is that, after it briefly came back to life, psu fans were actually spinning! I checked properly to be sure everything was back ok. Then, dead again ;(
However, next step is sorting out an atx psu!

I think the fact that the fans weren't spinning was indication that there was a PSU problem before it stopped working.
It's not that easy to tell on an X2. There's stationary fins in front of the two fans, so at a quick glance you could think they're not running at all. It's caught me off guard a few times.

You don't have a desktop PC? No one you know has one? ?(
Ugh.

Was your CPU fan spinning the one time it worked? If the CPU fan fails the motherboard may well refuse to fire up. Though generally you'll get BIOS beep tones (1 big long loud one in case of main fan failure)

I don't know if the X2 has a PC speaker or not, I would guess it does.

Still sounds like a PSU failure to me. As others have said, there are various states of PC PSU failure, but basically any intermittent operation (only turns on every x times you press the button, turns on but shuts down randomly etc) is most likely a PSU failure.

Thanks guys! I’m actually trying to sort out a spare psu to test the board.
In the meantime it seems I’ve been cursed by the electronic demon || as my main industrial 800w 220/110v converter (which I use to power on my two cabs) suddenly stopped working. I don’t think the problems are related, however that’s a definitely strange coincidence ?(

There's an easy way to test if they're related. The X2 PSU is multi voltage. Try plugging it straight to a wall outlet.

Just switched the noir cab and the X2 to a spare 300w converter I have. Everything briefly worked for a couple of tests (switched everything on/off a couple of time), then the mobo died once again (but the cab powers on regurarly). So I assume the main converter simply died by coincidence ?(
Still have to test the X2 with another atx psu though

A 300W transformer is just scraping by if you're plugging a Noir + X2 to it. Like I said, you should plug the X2 straight to a wall outlet. At least rule that part out.

Although for the record, everything still points to it being a PSU issue.

A 300W transformer is just scraping by if you're plugging a Noir + X2 to it. Like I said, you should plug the X2 straight to a wall outlet. At least rule that part out.

Although for the record, everything still points to it being a PSU issue.
really? I always thought 300w were good since the X2 take power from the noir psu. Do I risk to damage something doing that?

Back