What's new
I ran two cabs with pcbs on a 500W step-down however as the X2 psu is 300W I would only run one cab & the X2 on it....
I see... do you think an underpowered psu could somehow damage any component of the setup? I mean, could the issue at the X2 psu be related?

If the step down transformer is overloaded, it will become warmer and it's output voltage might drop a little. Switch mode power supplies like those used in a pc have a wide input voltage range, so I doubt that a bit lower input voltage will make a difference. Worst that could happen is that the supply turns off when the voltage is 2 low. Due to that, the load will lower and the voltage will rise again, which might turn the supply on again. Such oscillating would be hearable, and the system would never have time to start up properly. You can buy a cheap power meter to measure the power consumption of your 2 cabinets to see if they stay below 800W.

In my humble opinion, the capacitors of your x2 power supply have simply dryed out.
Sometimes those surrounding the cpu on the mobo become bad as well.
This causes unstable output voltages and the mobo might refuse to turn on due to that.
You have no idea how many working hours the x2 has already. It's not uncommon in an arcade to have things running 14 hours / day.

One piece of advise I would give, don't turn on both machines at the same time with the same switch (Like before the step down)
Monitor chassis have a startup current many times bigger than their working current. So, if both turn on at the same time....

I have a quick question? Have you checked the voltage setting on your Noir cabinet? I believe you can select 230 or 110V on the transformer.

Its noted in the manual and mine run fine on 230V. You may be using the step down transformer unnecessarily.

Namco Noir.jpg

Note 1 indeed talks about selecting the proper input voltage, but the isolating transformer in the schematics only shows one connection to it.
Either those who made the schematics have been lazy, or you are suposed to mount a different transformer to run the cabinet on 240V

Note 1 indeed talks about selecting the proper input voltage, but the isolating transformer in the schematics only shows one connection to it.
Either those who made the schematics have been lazy, or you are suposed to mount a different transformer to run the cabinet on 240V
I just opened mine up and checked. It has a multi tap isolation transformer in the back. You can set it up for any normal input voltage just by changing the connections. 110,120,220,230,240V. The Namco Noir cabinet is probably the best built cab I've come across with it only real fault been the inability to rotate the monitor. If it could do that it would've smoked the Vewlix in my opinion, it just so solidly built.

If the step down transformer is overloaded, it will become warmer and it's output voltage might drop a little. Switch mode power supplies like those used in a pc have a wide input voltage range, so I doubt that a bit lower input voltage will make a difference. Worst that could happen is that the supply turns off when the voltage is 2 low. Due to that, the load will lower and the voltage will rise again, which might turn the supply on again. Such oscillating would be hearable, and the system would never have time to start up properly. You can buy a cheap power meter to measure the power consumption of your 2 cabinets to see if they stay below 800W.

In my humble opinion, the capacitors of your x2 power supply have simply dryed out.
Sometimes those surrounding the cpu on the mobo become bad as well.
This causes unstable output voltages and the mobo might refuse to turn on due to that.
You have no idea how many working hours the x2 has already. It's not uncommon in an arcade to have things running 14 hours / day.

One piece of advise I would give, don't turn on both machines at the same time with the same switch (Like before the step down)
Monitor chassis have a startup current many times bigger than their working current. So, if both turn on at the same time....
Thanks for the tip! I’ll avoid turning on both cabs togheter from now on ;)

I just opened mine up and checked. It has a multi tap isolation transformer in the back. You can set it up for any normal input voltage just by changing the connections. 110,120,220,230,240V. The Namco Noir cabinet is probably the best built cab I've come across with it only real fault been the inability to rotate the monitor. If it could do that it would've smoked the Vewlix in my opinion, it just so solidly built.
this is definitely interesting! How can I verify the input voltage setting? Is there a switch of some sort on the inside of the cab? Could you maybe post some pics? :rolleyes:

this is definitely interesting! How can I verify the input voltage setting? Is there a switch of some sort on the inside of the cab? Could you maybe post some pics? :rolleyes:
If you open the panel on the back of the cabinet where the power lead is connected you'll have access to the isolation transformer. It is well marked on mine the different connections required for the different input voltages. It is in Japanese but has diagrams for the different jumpers and connection points.

Back