What's new
If you are taking the old PSU to an electronic shop nearby to see if it can be repaired (which doesnt make sense to try and repair it at this point if its truly failed, unless its something simple like replacing fuse), why not take the X2 itself and have them test it out? They will most likely have a PSU on hand that will work with it and finally eliminate the possibilities of what is the problem.

BTW, if the mobo and everything else works besides the psu, you could just get a cheap pc case and almost any pc psu and stick the X2 components in there. You will most likely get better cooling, quieter operation as a bonus in a much lighter case and be done.

or as @atrfate would say, just get any decent pc and just run the TTX2 games on that instead :)
I will do that. As for new case, I was thinking about that too. I’m just a little bit confused about the psu connectors, as it seems to me that no atx psu as the exact same output as the original one ?(

the tx2 mainboard is a standard m-atx pc motherboard so a psu with a 24-pin ats power connector plus the 4-pin cup power lead will work the video card needs the standard 6-pin lead..

Yes, but the problem is I only have a 20 pin connector on my psu, so I doubt it will power on the X2. Am I right?

Doesn’t it have a 20+4 connector like many ATX PSU’s?

Unfortunately not ||
It’s a pretty old psu, and from I read on the web, atx standard only introduced the 24pin standard connector after a certain year.
In the meantime I am looking for a case replacement for the mobo, so that I could buy a new psu and case togheter. Do you guys have any suggestion on case and psu which are X2 compatible (in terms of internal space and psu connectors required)?

Thanks!

Basically every mATX case will fit if it takes full size expansion cards.
And any ATX psu has all the required connectors.
Sounds like the psu you have now is pre-ATX (AT)

Personally I like Fractal Design and Corsair cases :)

Sounds like the psu you have now is pre-ATX (AT)
I think so. Here are some pictures

5lYnkh.jpg

ZA0Zae.jpg

any ATX or M-ATX case will do, if buying one with a psu go for 400W at least as it gives extra options for replacing the video card if the stock one dies.

I suggest that before you go spending money on a new case and power supply, you should probably make sure that this is what the issue is. I have 4 TTX2 systems only 2 of which work and the 2 that don't are definitely not power supply issues. These boards are pretty temperamental now they are older and I have tried replacing everything. Processors,ram, PSU's, graphics cards and even the JVS adapter with no luck.
Mine has the same issue where I can disconnect the 12V supply by the processor and the fans all spin up. I'm inclined at least for my boards to believe it is likely a component of the board failing. I have been meaning to get these in to a repair shop but keeping spending my play money on more toys.
Also I already wasted money buying a new mATX case, new cooling system and power supply and that was no happy ending. Just a waste of money.

This is definitely interesting Blackfish. May I ask you if you tried to power on the X2 psu aside from the mobo? My assumption of psu being the problem is given by the fact it does not turn on when I connect it to a wall plug (24pin green wire grounded of course), while my other psu does correctly powers on. Could you confirm that?

Thanks!

Yeah if I ground/Bridge terminals 15 and 16 then it powers up on even my dirtiest power supply. I hope it is just a PSU, because if its anything else it sucks trying to fix it.

Good to know. That’s why I’m still positive it could be a psu failure. Mine won’t turn on at all, the only life signal is the fans spinning briefly once I plug and the unplug it from the wall plug.
So... maybe you have a spare psu for sale? :D :D

The PSU you are having is the older ATX with 20 pins mobo connector. Before that, they used AT power supplies in PC that had 2 single row connectors for the mobo.
The AT supply dodn't have a 3V3 output and was turned on by connecting the mains. It didn't have a standby voltage output and power on wire.

Some newer ATX supplies with a 24 pin motherboard connector have an option to separate the last 4 pins so that you can use it for a mobo with a 20 pins connector.

does your psu have the 4pin square 12v connector?
the 20pin plug can fit on the 24pin socket - they are back-compatable.

Is it the one with 2 yellow+2 black wires? Could you take a look at the pictures of the psu I posted above and confirm it please?

Thanks!

that's it, yes.
so you should be o.k. other than the video card.

No luck ;( The 4 pin connector does not fit. Shape is different from the original psu connector. Guess I really have to buy a proper new atx psu :whistling:

Hi guys,

just wanted to share a brief update. While I was looking for a replacement for the X2 psu I found a good deal on the bay for a complete X2+SSFIV kit so I decided to go for a full replacement :D
In the meantime I also solved the 220/110 adapter issue, it turned out to be just a loose wire :huh:
All these issues made me reflect about my whole cab setup, and I would really appreciate your opinion: I've been powering my two cabs (blast city running a cave pcb and namco noir with typeX2 setup) with an industrial 220/110 stepdown converter that outputs 800w. Everything has been running smoothly for the past three years, but now I wonder: could the main stepdown be undersized for the setup? Could this be related to the issues I experienced with the X2?

Thanks again for your help :)

800W should be just about enough for your situation, not sure how much a Noir draws on its own?

I ran two cabs with pcbs on a 500W step-down however as the X2 psu is 300W I would only run one cab & the X2 on it....

Back