What's new

kagutaba

Student
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Today I turned on my Noir cab and found out my TTX2 is “dead” :(
Fans do not work, but I see on the mobo a small red led light (marked “led 1”) turned on, so I assume the mobo is getting power somehow. I already checked the cables and wires, as someone suggested on other threads, but everything seems tightly connected. A strange fact is that, once I turn pf the power on the cab, the cpu fan spins for a sec before shutting down ?(
Is there something I can try to solve the issue or should I start searching for a new X2? ?(
Thanks!

are the fans on the power supply spinning? if not it could be a dead PSU

No they do not. However, and I’m pretty sure about this, the two little fans on the psu never spinned on my board :huh: but everything was working flawlessly till today.
If the psu is the problem, how come there is a red led light turned on on the mobo?

Thanks!!

the two little fans on the psu never spinned on my board
it's possible it was cooking itself all this time. I've never looked at the fan setup in the Type X2 but generally arcade fans are wired to to run at 100% speed 100% of the time because cooling is prioritized above noise.

If the psu is the problem, how come there is a red led light turned on on the mobo?
it's possible that the PSU is still providing power but it's just too weak to run anything other than the LED/fan blip.

there are many varying states of non-function beyond completely dead.

It can still possibly be the psu even if you get a light on mobo. It can either be weak or since psu creates different voltages it possible that one or more are missing. Also it probably did not help that your psu fans never worked.
You can try an atx psu from a pc to see if its psu or not

Thank guys. I have no access to an atx psu right now, do you think my best bet is to look after a new board if the psu is dead?

Probably cheaper/easier to transplant the X2 into a normal PC case with ATX power supply.

Sorry for the newbie question: what kind of atx psu (input/output spec?) should I look for? Any standard atx psu would do the work?

Any standard should work, I think the original PSU is 300W

Only thing you need to do is jumper the pins to power it on as the TTX2 doesn’t have a power switch.
So find the green wire (should only be 1) in the 24p connector and bridge it to any ground (black)

Ok, I just managed to disassemble everything. I would like to test the psu and the other components before I look for replacements.
Problem is: I’m a real electronic noob ^^
I suppose I could verify the psu status with a tester, right? Could you suggest me a good tester I could buy, maybe on Amazon, that could do the work? Next step is: learn how to use it :D But I will proceed little by little.

Thanks guys for your support!

Any multimeter will do, look up the pinout of the 24 pin connector and start measuring :)

Long story short, 1 lead of the multimeter (red) in a pin which should deliver a certain voltage, and the other lead (black) in a ground pin.
Step by step you can measure each pin and each ground pin.
Should be loads of videos on Youtube on how to use a multimeter if you’re unsure :)

Thanks! I will try asap!
Just to be sure: where can I find the pinout for the 24 pin connector? (I suppose it is the biggest one, right?) :whistling:

The biggest connector indeed, Google is your friend ;)

So pin 16 is the want you would want to bridge to any ground;
5516096200_1484210031.jpg

unplug the video-card and retry.

if it still wont start, unplug the 4/6pin 12v connector near the cpu and try.
just to see if something is shorted out on the 12v rail - it's a common pc problem.

Thanks guys, I will make some tries and come back to you with (I hope good) news :)

unplug the video-card and retry.

if it still wont start, unplug the 4/6pin 12v connector near the cpu and try.
just to see if something is shorted out on the 12v rail - it's a common pc problem.
I have this problem on a couple of my TTX2 boards. When I disconnect the 12V near the cpu it powers up no problems. I have tried swapping processor, ram, Graphics card basically everything. Is this most likely caused by a shorted Cap or another component?

shorted FET(s) on the VRM circuit - possibly caused by failing caps.

hi guys,
Got some news!
I completely disassembled the board and the put back everything togheter, just in case of loose connections like some of you suggested. Stil no luck as everything seemed dead as before.
Then, I simply disconnected the 12v near the cpu as stj suggested, and suddenly everything booted on. Except I had nothing on screen. Then I simply reconnected the 12v and boom! Now it works!! :D
Now I’m letting it run just to be sure, but I wonder if I should do something to prevent this from happening again, since tbh I did not understand what caused the problem :whistling:
Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Sad update ||
After turning off the cab and then back on, the X2 does not work anymore, same issue. And this time the trick of unplugging the 12v won’t work ;(

Back