What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
I picked up an empty Model 3 Step 2 ROM board that I'd like to setup as a Fighting Vipers 2.

Has anyone done this conversion before? I don't believe there is a security board so it should just be a straight ROM swap correct?

looking at MAME source I'm guessing I'll need the following IC's:
27C322 x36 (u1-u16, u22-u41)
27C160 x4 (u17-u20)
27C4096 x1 (u21)

I have a bunch of 322s already but I'll likely still need to order some more to cover this thing. Is 100ns fast enough or should I look for faster ones?

I'm also concerned about the Jumpers and the PAL. Some of the Jumpers are documented in MAME but it'd be nice to have some good verification going into this as the specific Jumper configuration for FV2. Do Model 3 game ROM board share the same PAL or is it unique per game?

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

I've converted a Model 3 Step 1.0 and a Model 3 Step 1.5 and can confirm that for those to revisions the PALs are the same.

I didn't have to move any of the jumpers on either conversion (Get Bass -> Virtua Fighter 3 TB and Virtua Striker 2 Ver. 98 -> Le Mans 24). The speed of your EPROMs match what I used.

Brian.

Well, I tried doing a FV2 conversion.

I picked up a Virtua Striker 2 board that had already been converted to Harley Davidson, which was perfect because it came with most of the needed 41 eproms. Burned the MAME romset to the eproms, put the roms on the rom board and placed it in a working Model 2 Step 2.0 motherboard that had previously run Sega Rally 2 just fine.

The problem is that the game locks up 50 seconds in to the game, every single time. Doesn't matter if it's running in attract or during game play. When it locks up the music plays until the point where it should loop and then it just sits there on a freezed screen. ROM test shows everything is OK, voltages are fine, the game runs perfect up until the freeze.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind, there's a security board:

http://triplemoonstar.brinkster.net/theshed/default.asp?stockid=914

What a waste of effort! :P

Last edited:
Damn, I didn't realize FV2 used a security board. I think Andy Geezer can do security board conversions.

I'm interested to see how this plays out because I've got a spare Model 3 ROM board and security board that I was planning on making into a FV2.

GlbOFWb_d.jpg

... and the jumpers are just like VOOT. 4mb audio and 32mb video - photo

Last edited:
Damn, I didn't realize FV2 used a security board. I think Andy Geezer can do security board conversions.

I'm interested to see how this plays out because I've got a spare Model 3 ROM board and security board that I was planning on making into a FV2.
About this, has anyone confirmed that the conversion is 100% working with a repro security board?

There is no repro security board that I know of.

@AndyGeezer sells hacked FV2 program roms that have the security protection removed. I've run them for hundreds of hours. No problems at all.

There is no repro security board that I know of.

@AndyGeezer sells hacked FV2 program roms that have the security protection removed. I've run them for hundreds of hours. No problems at all.
Dear god...does is it possible? You have made so much happy!!!!

Last edited:
Back