What's new

-Ace-

Professional
Reaction score
To any of the Capcom CPS1 resident experts- can anything be done to the C boards such as programming a new chip for the gal like chip on these boards to make them a different number? I have a ton of misc C boards of varying B #'s, that would be awesome if I could convert them to B-17 or B-21's. I have some conversion stuff, but the only C boards useful to me are B-17 or B-21.

Well I have one idea... what specifically do you have?

Hey @Darksoft do you need any of these for your project? I'll buy assuming we can get market prices. Then
@-Ace- you can use the cash to buy whatever you want!

"Converted" :thumbup:

Well, I did a fair number of CPS1 conversions way back and have alot SF2 champion B boards along with alot of varying numbered C boards from Champions/Hyper and WW. Also have a few Final Fight C boards. I was alway's on the lookout for SF2 WW boards that were B-17 or B-21. I ended up with alot of different numbered C boards in the process. This was all way back when I was able to get SF2 boards for $25-$50 a pop. I am by no means an expert, but know a few things. I am just starting to get back into the hobby.

@caius and @Apocalypse could tell you what is possible and what not.

If you’re willing to let go of a Final Fight C board, let me know, I have a spare B board missing the C board :)

I didn't get well what do you want to do with C-BOARDs.Nowadays it's possible to prepare any CPS1 game on whatever combination of B-BOARd and C-BOARD.If you want to do a conversion of a game using a diferent C-BOARD than the original one you have to patch program code.WHile , if you want t use different B-BOARD you have to change the PAL @1A (whch generates the /OE signals for GFX ROMs).I think it's also possible to program a battery backed-up CPS-B-21 with the Edruado Cruz device in order to turn it in different one but personally I never tried it

A B-17 board will always be a B-17, this custom chip isn't configurable in any way.
A B-21 chip however can be programmed with different keys (which must be maintained by a battery).
As for conversions, Caius said it all.
Only limitation is the supported size for graphics (4Mb on 89xxx, 6Mb on 90xxx and 8Mb on 91xxxx) and main CPU code (1Mb on early boards, 2Mb on later ones).

With getting back into the hobby and all, I had sold all my working boards. I have a whole mess of SF2 stuff that I would like to make some games again so I have something to play- besides, CPS1 series of games have always been some of my favs. SO if I can put some of this together and make some boards I will be happy. If I can help anyone else, I would be glad to. The pic is a mess of most of the C boards I have. 90% of the B boards(from SF2 Champion/Hyper) I have are the MASK ROM type with 10% being the JDEC version. Unfortunatly, I think I have but one working A board. All my program files require B-17 or B-21 C boards. Thought being if there was code to program into the one GAL/PAL chip that is located on the C board to make these into B-17 or B-21's, I would be in luck. Can that be done? And/or can any of these C boards be used as they are w/o modification and the B board will be the determining factor? C.jpg

I can only suggest you sell those SF2 WW C-boards because they are only good for SF2 WW as they are (i.e. 90632C-1 is only used on WW)

OR

just keep them as spare parts to save more WWs or just use their PPUs to repair more rare titles...

Other than that, they are what they are :) cannot be re-programmed to anything else...

if you want to unload any of those C-Boards I'll take one. I have an A and B board set that's missing a C-Board, would be worth doing a ROM conversion just to get it up and running as something.

All I can say is that I'd love a working final fight c-board with the B-04 chip.

I can only suggest you sell those SF2 WW C-boards because they are only good for SF2 WW as they are (i.e. 90632C-1 is only used on WW)

OR

just keep them as spare parts to save more WWs or just use their PPUs to repair more rare titles...

Other than that, they are what they are :) cannot be re-programmed to anything else...
Not entirely true. Apocalypse can modify the program code of other games to work on whatever B and C board you have.

For example he made me ROMs for an original Final Fight on which the C had failed so it now runs a B-17 from a WW, but the original B board :)

He also made me a GnG that operates on B-17 so I converted a WW boardset

You just need to email him the information on what B and C board you have and what game you're trying to put on it, he'll do the rest

So, is the conclusion that all these C boards are worthless? Can I use them in conjunction with a converted game that I create based off of a SF2 Champion B board? For example, I take a SF2 Champion B board, burn the appropriate roms/Gal chip(s), than can I take one of these C boards I have and it will work? I already have a system for SF2 WW boards, but don't have any info on using SF2 Champion B boards to make a converted board. As far as the Final Fight C boards, if I can get this all figured out, hell, I'll ship em out to you guys. . . . . just read your post xodaraP after I submitted this. Thanks for that clarification.

Can I use them in conjunction with a converted game that I create based off of a SF2 Champion B board?
yes

the appropriate roms/Gal chip(s)
You can't just burn the ROMs/GALs, the ROM code would need to first be modified to work with a different C-Board. That is a service that Apocalypse provides.

I did a Magic Sword to CPS-B-01 conversion a little while back (or was it to CPS-B-02?) in order to use a Strider C board to fix a broken Magic Sword board. I can dig up those files if they are useful.

Your absolutely right fluxcore, it was a stupid choice of words- I meant worthless for my particular purpose. I only wish I hadn't sold all my stuff a handful of years ago- I can't believe how much everything has gone up in price. Thanks for the gesture mikejmoffitt, I don't think I am in need of that particular file setup.

OR

Not entirely true. Apocalypse can modify the program code of other games to work on whatever B and C board you have.

For example he made me ROMs for an original Final Fight on which the C had failed so it now runs a B-17 from a WW, but the original B board :)

He also made me a GnG that operates on B-17 so I converted a WW boardset

You just need to email him the information on what B and C board you have and what game you're trying to put on it, he'll do the rest
I just wanted to state the fact that the CPS-B-21 PPU has a different pinout than all the other PPUs out there. At least this is what I found based on the pinout differences between then C-Board 92631C-6 (The Sf2 CE/Hyper) and the rest of the C-Boards I have (i.e. 88622-C-5, 88622-C-2). I've also seen some "back-in-the-day" hacks/converts that use regular C-boards with the 91635B-2 B-boards (SF2 CE/Hyper) but there were some cut tracks and patches on them...

What I'm sayings is that yes the program code can be modified but based on my experience for the B-21 PPU to work, the B-board may also needs to be modified or a pin compatible B-board (92631C-6) must also be used.

I agree the examples you gave (FF, SF2 WW etc) are completely pin compatible (hence the wide variety of the PPUs used in different versions of SF2 WW). I even tested my Magic Sword C-board (88622-C-5) on a Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (Japan 911210) revision B board and it worked flawlessly minus the kick buttons (because the 88622-C-5 C-board was missing the necessary extra components )...

The B-21 is the same as a -01, the reason it has a different pinout is it was designed to operate on a suicide battery system

The B-21 is the same as a -01, the reason it has a different pinout is it was designed to operate on a suicide battery system
I know that. But the difference I saw seems more than than. If you check the 92631C-6 C-board pinout and the 88622-C-5 C-board, the pins after 31 are routed differently. But that may not because of the PPU pinout but because of the B-board ( 91635B-2) that goes with that C-board, I don't know. So I stand corrected if that is the case...

I know that. But the difference I saw seems more than than. If you check the 92631C-6 C-board pinout and the 88622-C-5 C-board, the pins after 31 are routed differently. But that may not because of the PPU pinout but because of the B-board ( 91635B-2) that goes with that C-board, I don't know. So I stand corrected if that is the case...
All C-boards have the same pinout and can be mounted on any B-board.
However CPS-B-xx chips can have different pinout. I've installed a CPS-B-21 where a CPS-B-05 originally was and had to reroute few pins (and also had to add a PAL chip which hangs by its wires).
I've got a file somewhere with the differences.

[EDIT]
Found this file:
View attachment 92631C-6.zip

Last edited by a moderator:
Back