What's new
If any real Metal Slug cart owners would like to take my slowdown challenge it's actually very easy/noticeable at the end of stage 1.
While its counting up your score/POWs, the game is slowing down because of the waterfall animation on screen.
Watch the numbers of the score move on real cart, its slow but you can see its even.
Watch the numbers of the score move on the multi cart, its jumpy *slow*normal*slow*normal*
I don't notice any difference in the way Metal Slug slows down on real cart vs. on multi, and specifically not the POW countdown issue you describe.

If it helps, I can record Mission 1 playthrough on both real cart and multi for side by side comparison, and to deduce if it's your specific multi with this issue?

System info:

MVS Board: MV-1FZ @ 5.00V
Firmware revision: 0x0002
Firmware build: 0x0003
Menu build date: 2018-04-01T200423

If it helps, I can record Mission 1 playthrough on both real cart and multi for side by side comparison, and to deduce if it's your specific multi with this issue?
I also want to set up a recording of the side-by-side, pretty easy as I've got two cabs.
Trying to find the time to do it is my issue.

Far as being specific to my multi, well to be honest I'm not even sure my multi IS affected...
See this testing was done with the beta cart before I actually got my final cart.
For all I know Darksoft's latest menu update could have even fixed it, or the final cart just never had this problem at all.

I will follow up with more details once I've had time to take another look.

Oh, naturally latest firmware and menu versions should be used to confirm bugs.

Speaking of bugs and Metal Slug, the high score list is broken on my setup. It was fixed for some other games with latest menu.

Also, removing 3rd game on the list doesn't actually remove it from the setup. Switching through games with up+start and the removed third entry still boots up what game was last flashed there.

Third and final reproducible bug observed is a minor graphical glitch when going through game entries in the menu (list mode, animations disabled). When scrolling from one game to the next, a few pixels high horizontal line of garbled gfx flashes on the top part of the screen.

Let me know if you need further information, for example I have an RGB capture setup if recording videos is helpful.

p.s. Please restore support for Metal Slug 2 Turbo (mslug2t). Reason is, I'm running Metal Slug 1 and Metal Slug 2 Turbo back to back at an upcoming Retrothon speedrun event, and if the Multi runs mslug2t and proves to be stable enough during practice, I'd love to use it for the event. Free advertisement for you, no cart switching for me.

Third and final reproducible bug observed is a minor graphical glitch when going through game entries in the menu (list mode, animations disabled). When scrolling from one game to the next, a few pixels high horizontal line of garbled gfx flashes on the top part of the screen.
Hmm.. tried to reproduce that, too. But I cant see any glitch there (and list mode with animations disabled is my default, too. Everything else is just too slow for my taste).

Hmm.. tried to reproduce that, too. But I cant see any glitch there (and list mode with animations disabled is my default, too. Everything else is just too slow for my taste).
I've noticed the pixel artifacts when going through the game list not a deal breaker and can be on the back burner to fix

pixel artifacts Menu

Yes, but that's related to the menu code itself, not the cart or the mobo or anything else.

I'm absolutely loving the cart so far. The only game I couldn't get to boot up properly is: Super Dodge Ball.

Whenever I try to load it, the screen goes black after the "Neo Geo" splash screen, I could hear the "insert coin" sound but nothing's displaying.

Anybody else facing this problem?

I'm using a OMEGA CMVS with Unibios 3.2 and SmokeMonster's latest BasePack.

EDIT: Fixed it with clearing NVRAM, thanks ZuPoint!

Last edited:
I've got an original Pulstar cart I can plug in and record if there's anything specific you're looking to try and reproduce.

hi, I have found a highscore glitch on kizuna encounter visible on demo on the ranking screen

hi, I have found a highscore glitch on kizuna encounter visible on demo on the ranking screen
please try to be more specific. Can you post a picture? Did it happen only once or were you able to reproduce it after loading the game into another slot?

please try to be more specific. Can you post a picture? Did it happen only once or were you able to reproduce it after loading the game into another slot?
he's probably talking about the high score being zero for all the high scores.

I finally got around to updating the menu. I have no issues with Metal Slug or Pulstar. Still haven't bothered to fire up KOF98

PGIZs8D.jpg

I'm absolutely loving the cart so far. The only game I couldn't get to boot up properly is: Super Dodge Ball.

Whenever I try to load it, the screen goes black after the "Neo Geo" splash screen, I could hear the "insert coin" sound but nothing's displaying.

Anybody else facing this problem?

I'm using a OMEGA CMVS with Unibios 3.2 and SmokeMonster's latest BasePack.
no problem on mine, game runs great.

no highscore glitch on my setup, all names perfect on demo loop and input.

I'm running a 2-slot in a Neo cab with normal setup?
Have a unibios 2.3 in.
Latest menu and full rom pack.

Pm me if you need anthing testing!

I just tried on the mvs-f1zs, it doesn't happen.

This bug happears only on my omega setup which is unibios 3.3

well gentlemen excuse me for bothering, solved with nvram reset
just glad all working now.

On a side note:-
Just for this thread it it possible to delete all posts back to first but listing game problems not solved, saves reading problems that are sovled and missing the small ones.
Could be condensed into :-xxxxxxx fault found in xxxxx - gone after Nvram clear
Xxxxxxx fault found in xxxxxx - only on 2 slot

We can then all jump on games together to try to replicate error.

Ps. First post should say before any error report please:-

1. Check firmware/menu is latest one.
2. Reflash game to diffrent slot
3. Clear nvram and try again.
4. Format SD card and reload.
5. Report error for other user to replicate.
Always put info of setup/bios etc in details.

That is a good idea, but we wont delete videos or other information that can be useful to other users. I will edit the 1st post with that list of issues that you mentioned and add them to the instructions.

Back