What's new
My set-up is: slot MVH 1FS jap bios, Sandisk SD (formated on a PC) with new menu, on Jaleco cab.

- Endless reboot on Alpha Mission II/ASO II
- impossible to play Pulstar: commands are down, I have to turn off the system. I tried on slot 1 and slot 2.

Attachments

• IMG_8019_Fotor.jpg
    IMG_8019_Fotor.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 345
I had similar boot issues with my 1FS, you can try lowering your voltage as a temp fix (around 4.6-4.7 is what I was using).

if the voltage lowering fixes the problems then DS is aware of the issue and working on a fix.

but I can't as I am not using only the MultiMVS on this cab.
4.8v should be fine for all MVS carts, and again this is only a temp thing... It's being addressed.
I would recommend you dial down the voltage for now.
Don’t you check/adjust voltage when you change PCB’s?
Please check voltages under load when/if you swap PCBs/motherboards, some demand more power than others.

Ran into a strange issue:

During testing I had Rage of Dragons in Slot 1 and Metal Slug in slot 2. Now i used Start+UP to switch to MS. And after running a a few seconds it greenscreened. Which it never did before.
Did a power cycle and direct boot to ROTD. And that one greenscreened too after about a minute.

Reflashed games and most worked but some had greenscreens (and they never had before)

So I deleted buff and slot files on SD and did a NVRAM reset on the mvs. And things worked again without a hitch.

So I flashed ROTD and MS again and did a start+up and the same issue again.

Maybe there is something major wrong with the bank switching? And I was such a happy camper because I never use that? I only ever saw one game greenscreen before and that was KOF99.

Tried it on my MVS 1b with supergun at 4,7V and on 5,1V. Didnt make a difference.

Ran into a strange issue:

During testing I had Rage of Dragons in Slot 1 and Metal Slug in slot 2. Now i used Start+UP to switch to MS. And after running a a few seconds it greenscreened. Which it never did before.
Did a power cycle and direct boot to ROTD. And that one greenscreened too after about a minute.

Reflashed games and most worked but some had greenscreens (and they never had before)

So I deleted buff and slot files on SD and did a NVRAM reset on the mvs. And things worked again without a hitch.

So I flashed ROTD and MS again and did a start+up and the same issue again.

Maybe there is something major wrong with the bank switching? And I was such a happy camper because I never use that? I only ever saw one game greenscreen before and that was KOF99.

Tried it on my MVS 1b with supergun at 4,7V and on 5,1V. Didnt make a difference.
ok so i setup:-
Rage of the dragon - slot 1
Metal Slug - slot 2

Rage played great after first bios error on boot( starting to like this game )
Metal slug crashed on boot ( bios error ) no joy.

Reset Nvram:-

Rage played great! ( after bios error on boot )
Metal slug played great ( after bios error on boot )
Back to Rage of the dragons all great ( no bios error )
Back to Metal Slug - no joy ( bios error on repeat )
Another Nvram clears this but cycle back to Metal Slug ( second time ) and repeat bios crash.

Mixing these games with other games works great!

How are games diffrent in multi setup? ( ngh, pcb type, fpge, rom size etc ) do they clash?
A Nvram clear between slot swaps/boots would slove this.

A bios removal would solve bios error on boot.(need to get round to this but love playing)

I found a strange thing on Fatal Fury 3: commands are wrong. For example, using C the character jump.

try to clear backup ram, I had this also with some games

Hi,
I continue to see posts suggesting clearing nvram and deleting buff file as solutions to all problems (or, changing point of view, as sources of all problems).
So, in order to understand better the issue, I’d like to know what is saved in nvram and in buff file.

Then, I’m going to use the DS Multi (2nd batch) on a MV-1C with NeoBiosMasta VMC and UNIBIOS 4.0. Now, putting aside UNIBIOS 4.0 which is untested, NeoBiosMasta VMC will act as a virtual memory card on my system, so my questions:
  • Will the VMC be unused with DS Multi, so its presence won’t make any difference?
  • Will the VMC be used with DS Multi, lessening nvram and buff file problems?
  • Will the VMC be used with DS Multi, conflicting and deteriorating nvram and buff file problems?

Many thanks in advance.
Regards.

Locutus73

Now, putting aside UNIBIOS 4.0 which is untested
I updated yesterday my MV-1C to the latest UniBIOS 4.0 and the DS cart works the same as it did with version 3.3. Nothing gets fixed (Still logo corruption on cart startup, for instance) but nothing gets broken either.

Edit: My current setup is the same as @Locutus73 and MV-1C with VMC and UniBIOS 4.0 and I have the same questions as him regarding the VMC, especially since the UniBIOS already saves the scores of the games on it, and that feature seems to have conflict with DS cart.

Now, putting aside UNIBIOS 4.0 which is untested
I updated yesterday my MV-1C to the latest UniBIOS 4.0 and the DS cart works the same as it did with version 3.3. Nothing gets fixed (Still logo corruption on cart startup, for instance) but nothing gets broken either.
Great! Good to know.
Anyway, the Unibios logo corruption is:
  1. Perfectly understandable: Unibios draws the boot logo using graphic assets from the cart; these assets must be readable during boot sequence and this doesn’t happen with a slow booting cart like DS Multi. These assets are readable with original carts and with a zero boot time flashcarts like NeoSD.
  2. A non issue: Unibios has an option for not displaying boot logo, and anyways, who cares?

Edit: My current setup is the same as @Locutus73 and MV-1C with VMC and UniBIOS 4.0 and I have the same questions as him regarding the VMC, especially since the UniBIOS already saves the scores of the games on it, and that feature seems to have conflict with DS cart.
This is getting interesting:
  1. Do you have problems with this setup?
  2. Is it conceivable a DS Multi option for disabling its game saves handling (which seems to be the culprit in many issues) letting the VMC do its work?

[EDIT]
Thinking about it, I believe it would be useful an option (or specific special firmwares) for disabling all Unibios like functions (i.e. MVS/AES mode or region setting) along with game saves handling functions. I mean, I think implementing these functions is great for regular BIOS users, but, on the other side, Unibios users will prefer using its good old usual interface and memory cards users (both physical or NeoBiosMasta VMC) will prefer using them for sharing saves between real carts and flashcarts.

Many thanks in advance.
Best regards.

Locutus73

Last edited:
BUFF file is a file in FAT12 format, so you can try opening using any tool that allows to open a FAT12 drive. What is stored there are all the conents of NVRAM for each game. Nothing more, nothing less. That includes not only the high scores, etc but also the soft dipswitches for each game.

We will include an option to disable the cart doing that, although at the moment, looks like the biggest problem is coming from having "wrong" data in the NVRAM, probably rests of previous games. We'll get into that with the next update.

BUFF file is a file in FAT12 format, so you can try opening using any tool that allows to open a FAT12 drive. What is stored there are all the conents of NVRAM for each game. Nothing more, nothing less. That includes not only the high scores, etc but also the soft dipswitches for each game.

We will include an option to disable the cart doing that, although at the moment, looks like the biggest problem is coming from having "wrong" data in the NVRAM, probably rests of previous games. We'll get into that with the next update.
So, the BUF file is just a disk image in FAT12 format...it seems odd to me to manage the saves that way, but if it works, then fine. Regarding the NVRAM, maybe an option to erase it on startup? most people do not use it, and those who do, can disable the option.

Well, so, please correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems to me that, putting aside current bugs you’re working on, DS Multi NVRAM operations shouldn’t interfere with memory cards. I mean, when you change game, you restore a backup from the buff file into NVRAM, so preparing a working environment for the game; then, if the game (or bios) is designed to use the memory card, it should continue doing so.

Anyway, what about other conflicting functions between the DS Multi and the Unibios? Let’s say we choose specific soft dip switch settings for a game, Jap AES mode with DS Multi and different soft dip switch settings, Eur MVS mode with Unibios, what do we get as result?

Would it make any sense having a lobotomized DS firmware (maybe the 4 slots firmware) in order to make it just a “stupid” multicart, leaving special functions to Unibios?

Many thanks in advance.
Best regards.

Locutus73

Speaking of issues: I just found out that Unibios with the DS Multi always adds a credit when you press Select/Button 5. Its supposed to be enable/disable with "Input crossing" in the Bios Menu. But it isnt.
Dont know if this issue fits in here but I found it strange. Maybe someone can enlighten me?

Speaking of issues: I just found out that Unibios with the DS Multi always adds a credit when you press Select/Button 5. Its supposed to be enable/disable with "Input crossing" in the Bios Menu. But it isnt.
Dont know if this issue fits in here but I found it strange. Maybe someone can enlighten me?
Adding credits via select button is one of the UniBIOS features. No idea if it can be disabled.

Adding credits via select button is one of the UniBIOS features. No idea if it can be disabled.
"Disable input crossing" in the unibios menu is supposed to disable that according to manual. But at least with the multicart it doesnt do that.

"Disable input crossing" in the unibios menu is supposed to disable that according to manual. But at least with the multicart it doesnt do that.
Had no idea about this feature, thanks. I just tested enabling this feature, and then with an original cart, NeoSD and DS cart, my MV-1C still inserts credits with select, so it seems something about the UniBIOS. That, or we are misunderstanding the feature. Using UniBIOS v4.0, BTW.

Back