What's new

malarrya

Student
Reaction score
Hey, Everyone! I joined the site about a month ago as I recently purchased a Net DIMM for my Marvel vs Capcom 2 machine while perusing eBay on New Year's Eve. I've been into retro-gaming for about 13 years now (but more intensely the past 6) and would love to share my projects, knowledge, and pitfalls with anyone who wants to listen.

I've done the following mods or repairs to various systems:

Hard and soft-modded about a dozen Xbox originals which includes installing new dashboards, emulators, XB Media Center, CoinOps programs, and 1 modchip.
Modded Nintendo Wii systems installing new games, emulators, and programs with an SD card.
Slightly modded a Sega Dreamcast so games are launchable from the rear serial port using an SD card or with games burned to CD-R.
Still own my original Sega Genesis with 32x and have collected about 25 32x games.
Restored/rewired 2 ColecoVisions and amassed about 50 games.
Created a Hyperspin system from a shoddy empty arcade cabinet that includes about 80 systems and tens of thousands of games.
Fully restored a Marvel vs Capcom 2 machine from non-working/shoddy status to fully working and Net DIMM expandable.

I've owned the following consoles (in personal chronological order):
Pong, Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, Sega Genesis, Sega 32x, Xbox original, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, Sega Dreamcast, and Xbox One S.

I've always been the "other system" guy. Coleco over Atari, Sega over Nintendo, Xbox over PlayStation, Samsung over Apple, Samsung over Sony (TVs), etc.

My interests also include family, snowboarding, baseball, hockey, movies, guitar, Halloween, and Comic-Con (conventions). I mostly listen to Celtic music, John WIlliams music, Beatles, and 80s.

I served 4 years in the Air Force and am currently a Financial Systems Programmer.

Good to meet you all!

Last edited:
Pong, Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, Sega Genesis, Sega 32x, Xbox original, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, Sega Dreamcast, and Xbox One S.

[...]
I've always been the "other system" guy. Coleco over Atari, Sega over Nintendo, Xbox over PlayStation, Samsung over Apple, Samsung over Sony (TVs), etc.
I like your attitude :)

I got my first own Playstation 3 years ago (yes, really).. by then I had over 30 consoles,8-bit 16-bit machines at home. (not collectibles, but used by me at the time they were launched), none of them was a Playstation... back in the 90s I spat in the face of every friend i had that owned a Playstation (well maybe I'm exagerating now..)

I always hated the platform, actually I still do.. Sony is the worst thing that ever happened to the Videogame industry..

Anyway.. now I have 5 PSX, 3 PS2, a PS3 and a PS4 (but yes.. I still hate them)

I always hated the platform, actually I still do.. Sony is the worst thing that ever happened to the Videogame industry..

Anyway.. now I have 5 PSX, 3 PS2, a PS3 and a PS4 (but yes.. I still hate them)
Haha, This is hilarious! We all have our demons to contend with. I guess maybe Sony is at least more of a Succubus than a Demogorgon :)

I would glady allow the dark queen to seduce me...

1473911105286701.png

Welcome!

Be sure to list the Hyperspin machine on Craigslist for around $10,000. ;)

Got to love the SoCal Craigslist. The guys in LA are especially into smoking crack...

Welcome!

First off thank you greatly for your time in service.

That's awesome you are into MVC2, what teams do you like to use?

What languages or technologies do you use in your finance systems? I have gotten into programming in the last year, primarily web development (JavaScript), but I learn more and more all the time. Been dabbling in Golang, java, haskall, and python.

I enjoy the same music as you, I also play harp, I am more into the classical rep, but I know some celtic tunes too.

I'm up in Oakland, PM me if you find yourself in the bay.

Again, welcome,
cwx2

That's awesome you are into MVC2, what teams do you like to use?

What languages or technologies do you use in your finance systems? I have gotten into programming in the last year, primarily web development (JavaScript), but I learn more and more all the time. Been dabbling in Golang, java, haskall, and python.
Hello, cwx2, thanks for the reply. I usually use Ryu, Iron Man, and Wolverine. However, to be perfectly honest, I actually don't play any of the games for very long unless I am really bored. I get more out of restoring, hacking, modding, and fixing the machines and consoles than I do actually playing the games. I'm a database programmer mostly so I use Oracle PL/SQL and PeopleSoft. I also occasionally use Cognos, HTML, CSS, Javascript and EXT/JS.

Programming is more of a job to me than a hobby but if I can use it to make something fun and easy for myself, I enjoy it. I did figure out a way to turn all the BIN files for my Net DIMM into BAT files that are easily launchable from my Hyperspin cabinet. I detailed the steps here: naomi netboot roms

BTW, if you like instrumental music, try the Celtic Spirit Radio station on Pandora. It's the most amazing and calming music ever: https://www.pandora.com/station/play/3136455423350793330

Thanks for your kind words. :)

Last edited:
I get more out of restoring, hacking, modding, and fixing the machines and consoles than I do actually playing the games.
cheers to this!

Welcome to the right place! Not that we don't enjoy the games too... we do.. but the rest of the hobby is very rewarding and fun, and the talent on this forum is tops. I learn so much here, and that's what keeps me coming back. Fun new projects that grow my knowledge and skills.

Back