What's new
I can actually appreciate the fact that they do bother to refurbish (clean, recoat, repaint, new markings) - but it's a shame they cheat and mark them as other stuff instead of just redoing the original markings or at least the same product code.
I agree but also print a recycle symbol on it.

Yep that's a good point too. I guess I just assume for the price point what I'm getting is recycled but for those who may not know that's a good idea

that's exactly what I'm saying!

they can keep doing what they're doing but just don't mark and sell them as something they're not.

I think if someone were to buy them in bulk and properly test them to verify their functionality/weeding out the bad ones it'd be worth paying a bit more for them too.

The main reason for blacktopping chips and presenting them as new is specifically to hide the origin of the components; it's not for refurbishment. It should be understood that for the large majority, reselling recycled electronics components is illegal in China.
These dodgy chips can be board killers, and time wasters! As a rule, if it's got tinned legs, avoid on ANY IC unless you pulled it from a scarp board yourself!!
True story. I've even encountered eproms that had the die cut from the original dip package, and re-bonded into a new one. It was done very poorly.

Personally I avoid buying any electronic components from China and only use pulled parts I have taken from boards myself.

I try to avoid it but I never have enough spare 040s on scrap boards

I've got more 27C512 than I know what to do with from scrap boards as well as my stack of 010/1001 and a fair amount of 080/801 and 4002/4096 but I'm always short on 040

Defective 27C160 from jk_parts (eBay):

Attachments

• mem.jpg
    mem.jpg
    674.1 KB · Views: 298
Are there any known good china sellers for eproms? When it comes to larger eproms (27c400, 27c160, 27c320 etc) there doesn't seem to be any reasonably priced options apart from china. Even when only half of them work it still works out a lot cheaper than european sellers.

Are there any known good china sellers for eproms? When it comes to larger eproms (27c400, 27c160, 27c320 etc) there doesn't seem to be any reasonably priced options apart from china. Even when only half of them work it still works out a lot cheaper than european sellers.
I recently got working M27C160-50F1 from this store: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1476012

I can't guarantee they continue selling the same stuff, though.

Here's another one for you

"hode_shop"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AM27C400...var=502589011061&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I ordered 20 * 27C040 - All turned up screen printed as AMD 27C040-120.

Looking through the windows on the top there were three different cell layouts and two had a different body colour so warning bells started ringing.

DSC05851 (Large).JPG

8 programmed fine, 1 failed verification the rest wouldn't pass "blank check".

The 8 that programmed as AM 27C040 all had the same internal structure as did the one that wouldn't verify. The two pale ones were the same and the remainder were the same so I potentially had 3 different types/brands of eprom.

I tried blank checking them with different brands and 9 seem to be TMS 27C040 of unknown speed and programmed & verified fine as those. Not worked out what the last two are yet....

WTF....

Will be leaving snotty feedback.

Last edited:
Here's a mostly positive experience with a seller I had on aliexpress. Store name: SZ (IC Shop)

I ordered a set of 10 * 27c322, all arrived fine. From the first set, only one could not be erased, but the other 9 worked perfectly.

Ordered a second set a few months later and worked just fine as well.

Both sets were listed as new, but were obviously used (some had a little sticker residue).

I can't speak to any others for sale on that store though.

I'm surprised to hear that. The seller seems trustable, but who knows... yesterday I used acetone to check if they are painted and it passed the test. They're also identified as ST M27C800 by the burner (Top3000)

This is a photo of one of the three eproms I bought and burned:

27c800.jpg

At least I can confirm these eproms worked fine :thumbup:

Last edited:
In that photo you can see the paint line on the right side. Scrape it with a razor blade. The texture and color of the chip is wrong.

do not buy chips from ebay, from this seller (jk_parts)
I've bought several hundred EPROMs from that seller and I've only ever run into 2 or 3 bad ones.
i don't know what to say sir because i didn't use the chips at this moment .. are in the tube that comes with the box. but i only say about them are scratched from original brown sourface and stamped with pink infos on them . may all what i have at home now will be great to use on the future projects too.... i found a chip without a leg in the lot i grabbed.

Back