What's new
The game is not changed at all. The FPGA on the cart is sniffing for the button combination. The is no game data altered at all.
I don't know enough about MVS games to know if any of them do this, but some non-MVS games do use shortcuts like that. For instance you push Up+Start in Mortal Kombat to perform a random character select. I mean that would be "modifying" the game without actually changing the game-code

it's also not unreasonable to think that children and or some unruly button-mashers would accidentally push the shortcuts.

My reason for wanting to disable them is exactly that. my DDR cab has a PC with a J-Pac and people accidentally push the shortcuts all the time... how they manage to to step on the correct arrows while holding both start buttons is beyond me, but they do it.

Reason: it changes what you can do in the game so it basically is a hack
The game is not changed at all. The FPGA on the cart is sniffing for the button combination. The is no game data altered at all.
Okay. Point accepted.

This however does not change the fact that if you press a certain buttoncombo during gameplay you reset the cart/switch slots. And thats something the original game did not do.

I know Unibios gives you buttoncombos too. And yes I hate them/disable them just the same.
Maybe some/most other people don't mind such small changes and even see them as convenience. And thats fine. I see them as hack/modification/change in the way the game used to run in its original state.

Again, I would be happy to have such things as options that I can turn on or off. But if its forced on me I see it as a flaw.
Sorry again if this sounds antagonistic. Its not meant as such. Its just the way I see arcade gaming.

I would be happy to have such things as options that I can turn on or off. But if its forced on me I see it as a flaw.
I think the most probably thing that we'll do will be to increase the press time in order to activate it from 2.5 secs to maybe 5 or 6.

About the flaw, I see you are not a marketing guy :) We call it, feature :thumbsup:

I think the most probably thing that we'll do will be to increase the press time in order to activate it from 2.5 secs to maybe 5 or 6.
About the flaw, I see you are not a marketing guy :) We call it, feature :thumbsup:
Maybe increase it to 60 seconds? That would help a bit :P

But seriously if it is a lot of work to add a toggle or menu entry to disable those buttons why not offer an alternate firmware where those buttons are disabled? Seems easy to do. Okay managing two different versions of the FW might not be optimal but certainly doable? Because reading the postings here I am not alone in my discomfort with the in game buttons.

Also I know right now there are other priorities. No question. We need a menu that saves the config before we need one that can disable buttons :thumbsup:

would it be possible to add a configuration option where we could set our own button combinations?

I had the brilliant idea of wiring my "game select button" on my neogeo control panel to Player 1 up+ down and putting diodes on the extra wires so that the connections don't get bridged. Player 1 up and down at the same time is impossible to hit in game , I was going to do the same thing to a menu button inside the coin door to player 1 left + right. That would make the game select button function like a real multi slot motherboard, and the menu button inside the coin door would keep kids from screwin around.

would it be possible to add a configuration option where we could set our own button combinations?
I dont think so. I may release a different version of the firmware for people who have problems with the existing one.

I dont think so. I may release a different version of the firmware for people who have problems with the existing one.
Could you just add those to the build then? It'd be zero impact for everyone else, as its impossible to hit up and down at the same time on accident =)

correct. I want to completely disable the ability to exit the game.. :)
I second that. When the multi is setup in the Dutch National Videogame Museum. The last thing i need is a menu where visitors can screw up things :)

Additional feature:
  1. Be able to press START when the POW guy is flagging his numbers

That would make the game select button function like a real multi slot motherboard, and the menu button inside the coin door would keep kids from screwin around.
I edited my previous answer as it was intended only for the 1st question. I though you wanted another combination to call the menu or something like that.

When it comes to adding new combinations. What do you mean exactly? Adding a new combination in order to change slot in a 2- 4- or 6- slot?
Like i.e. 1P Start+ Down for 3 secs? I'm not sure if I follow you.

so to return to menu would be player 1 left and right at the same time , to jump to the next game would be player 1 up and down at the same time. No use of the start button.

Since its physically impossible to hit up and down , or left and right at the same time you would have to intentionally wire up a button to the leads with a diode to make it happen

so to return to menu would be player 1 left and right at the same time , to jump to the next game would be player 1 up and down at the same time. No use of the start button.
Gotcha. That would be kind of doable....let's get fixed first things first.

Having a three games setup i don't use the menu too much ( once a week )

On a side note, the games image files are not the best! ( not the end of the world )
Could we use the images from the famous Neo Geo X ? I think most got a file image when it got hacked.
Not sure who made them or may lay claim the work.

Still love the Axel theme on boot! Gets me in a retro mood.

Last edited:
I think it would be cool if we could get different graphical themes. Like a red neo geo cabinet theme, the a-d buttons at the bottom being in the neogeo colors, and as a new sound theme the sound of an old school arcade background noise (bowling alley too, lol).

You mean graphical themes in the background while navigating the game menu list?

Yep. Pretty much just a neo geo cabinet border around the edges of the screen.

What would it take to have the Multi clear the nvram on its own? Seems like a pretty consistent pain point.

What would it take to have the Multi clear the nvram on its own?
Or to take it even one step further... Have the multi fully control the NVRAM, able to backup and restore single or multiple entries to/from microSD, and also reset/clear the entire thing.

something like this is being planned...specially for AES that has no battery.

I was thinking about the button combo for switching between games. I think the best way for this to work, at least for me, is to just put a little 2 pole 5V relay in and rewiring the game select button to the coil side and the 2 buttons UP and Start to the 2 poles of the relay. So it gives the illusion of using a multi-slot setup. I know this isn't exactly what people will want if they have real games in their other slots but if I have the multi installed in one of my slots I'm not going to bother putting any other carts in the empty slots. The only thing that would make this function a bit better is if the hold time could be reduced or selected and if it might be possible to select the buttons used to change the slots from within the settings menu. Not really a biggie there is no problem using the predefined buttons and just holding the change slot button a bit longer. Just an idea.

Maybe something like this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-2-Chann...400706&hash=item3d0a8a12be:g:wmoAAOSwXY5ZXNlu

Back