What's new
Can we add a function to the games list.
It moves from A -B - C etc to Z up.
Can we jump back from first list screen, A - Z - Y - X etc..i love me some ZuPapa and Viewpoint!
Cheers.

Ps. I know it's not a big problem, but it's all i've got ;)

The next firmware update will have among others the following updates:

* Add progress status on DDR write. Instead of looking at a black screen, you will see a % of game loaded.
* Change the operation mode between MVS and AES.
* The same applies for REGION.
* Update from menu will automatically copy the files to games\menu
* Pulstar: Screen Flashes when in attract mode and credit inserted.
* kof98 and matrimelee (unibios green error screen, game freezes or characters that go off the screen while background is still moving.
* Change controls so that Left + start for 3 seconds will go to -1 slot less (1p+right goes to +1 slot) and left + Up will call the menu.

Also on the list probably for a next update are:
* Improved microSD load routines
* Allow to use the SLOT0 of the menu to also allocate a 4th game, probably using a simpler menu.

* Add progress status on DDR write. Instead of looking at a black screen, you will see a % of game loaded.
* kof98 and matrimelee (unibios green error screen, game freezes or characters that go off the screen while background is still moving.
* Change controls so that Left + start for 3 seconds will go to -1 slot less (1p+right goes to +1 slot) and left + Up will call the menu.

* Allow to use the SLOT0 of the menu to also allocate a 4th game, probably using a simpler menu.
Still no option with in-game control buttons? Like longer wait time than 3 sec? Or disabling them/setting them to something else?

Nice update though. (but who needs a progress bar when it loads in like 5 seconds...)

@DenTarr this is why we have this thread for. I won't apply any and all of the propositions. There must be a general interest for it and this is the thread to show that interest.

What about this SLOT0 4th game thing?
Is there unused space in the flashcart?
Is something similar to NeoSD Pro’s volatile fast RAM only slot?

Thank you in advance
Best regards

Locutus73

@DenTarr this is why we have this thread for. I won't apply any and all of the propositions. There must be a general interest for it and this is the thread to show that interest.
Yup. And there have been people here suggesting configurable buttons. Not just me. For obvious reasons. Right now the cart cant rally be used in a cab for any public or semi public use. I mean.. customer happens to hold start and up and bam...

What I dont understand is: this modification is trivial. It takes you maybe 5 minutes. Change the hotkey from like "start + up" to "up + down" (which another user has suggested some weeks ago) and problem solved. If someone wants to use those hotkeys just hotwire a button. If you dont you are safe from accidental use.
Thats trivial. Probably just 1 byte to change. Hell, a user could do it with a hex editor if you publish the mem address.

So.. yeah... feeling some negative vibes building here....

Last edited:
Nothing negative building. I think the button combos should be changed too and an option to disable them is a good idea (maybe a default setting when in boot to game mode?). It just hasn't been done yet. Don't take it personal if we don't apply a suggestion right away. We try to please everyone but its not possible.

Nothing negative building. I think the button combos should be changed too and an option to disable them is a good idea (maybe a default setting when in boot to game mode?). It just hasn't been done yet. Don't take it personal if we don't apply a suggestion right away. We try to please everyone but its not possible.
Thank you!
I might have a short fuse but DS statement sounded like he thinks I am some left-outfielder who wants his latest brain fart implemented. Whereas the truth is it was suggested by multiple users, even before I ever mentioned it. Quite some time ago. For obvious reasons.

And now getting a progress bar instead... I mean I love my progress bars like the next guy but the CRT in my cab takes longer to heat up then the Multi takes to boot so... yeah..

I didnt say it wont be done or that it was a brain fart, that was MY list.

wow! Just wow!

You got a 100% Multicart in only two updates!
Thank you all for your hard work.

What about this SLOT0 4th game thing?
Is there unused space in the flashcart?
Is something similar to NeoSD Pro’s volatile fast RAM only slot?
Every slot on DS's multi is "fast RAM". The NeoSD Pro has three "slow" slots and one "fast" one. When DS originally launched the product he used one of his 4 planned slots for the menu files, reducing it to three "fast" slots. This is basically DS offering a slim menu and the return of the 4th "fast" slot.

Every slot on DS's multi is "fast RAM".
It is my understanding that each slot on DS is “hybrid” with some data on flash and some data on RAM; so the loading time at each boot.

The NeoSD Pro has three "slow" slots and one "fast" one.
Ok, it is my understanding that the “fast” one is fully RAM based and the “slow” ones are fully flash based (so no loading time at each boot). A different approach.

When DS originally launched the product he used one of his 4 planned slots for the menu files, reducing it to three "fast" slots. This is basically DS offering a slim menu and the return of the 4th "fast" slot.
Got it. It makes perfectly sense.

Locutus73

I think DS's 4 slots are all DDR Ram. neosdpro's one ram slot is sram? Pretty sure they're both fast and similar but this is totally not my forte.

Here’s my list of suggestions:
  1. A passthrough option for MVS/AES mode setting in order to let the OriginalBios/UniBios do its work. This would be a convenience for UniBios users, letting them use the same UniBios interface for both original carts and DS Multi.
  2. Same as 1 for region setting.
  3. Same as 1 for softdips.
  4. Same as 1 for any present or future Unibios like function.
  5. An option to disable NVRAM (and/or softdips) backup/restore to/from BUFF file for memory card (or NeoBiosMasta VMC) and Unibios users. This would let these users sharing the game saves between real carts, flash carts and multi carts.
  6. Since DS is working on implementing fix tiles at boot time for fixing broken Unibios splash logo, an option to customize these fix tiles, i.e. putting a bmp file on the SD card, in order to customize the boot logo itself.

Many thanks in advance.
Best regards.

Locutus73

Last edited:
Still no option with in-game control buttons? Like longer wait time than 3 sec? Or disabling them/setting them to something else?
@DenTarr I think the best option is to increase the time from 3 to 10 seconds what do you think? If I disable it completely, how do you go to back to the menu? You'd need to power cycle.

There have been some comments about how would the multi will interact with UNIBIOS if I decide to choose a region and the UNIBIOS has a region set as well. Probably the best would be to check from the menu and if the UNIBIOS is present we just disable the option of choosing region or mode (MVS/AES). Comments?

@DenTarr I think the best option is to increase the time from 3 to 10 seconds what do you think? If I disable it completely, how do you go to back to the menu? You'd need to power cycle.
Well...honestly... it delays the problem. It doesnt make it better. What I think is that the suggestion Malenko made is both easy to implement and elegant in that it cant be triggered by accident. (Mapping the functions to button combos that are not useable normally like "up+down".) And everybody can just wire them up if they want em in a cab. And in the supergun power cycling is no problem anyway.

Alternately the NICE option would be to have the buttons configureable/disable in the menu.

Would it be possible to add a option to the menu where the user can select between disable, 3 seconds or 10 seconds?

There have been some comments about how would the multi will interact with UNIBIOS if I decide to choose a region and the UNIBIOS has a region set as well. Probably the best would be to check from the menu and if the UNIBIOS is present we just disable the option of choosing region or mode (MVS/AES). Comments?
I thought about this before my “suggestions” post. Now, if really DS Multi overrides UniBios settings (MVS/AES, region, softdips), the auto disable function would be user friendly for sure, but I still would prefer the manual passthrough option for two reasons at least:
  1. Some people may prefer using UniBios menu while others may prefer DS Multi menu. A manual passthrough option would let the users choose what they prefer.
  2. The Unibios discovery routine may fail with specific past, present or future Unibios releases, without considering clones, possibly resulting in a pain in the ass. Manual option would be safer.

Regards.

Locutus73

I know for me 10 second would not be a solution.

I WANT to power cycle to return to the menu.

Honestly, the boot-into game feature is not useful to me either, assuming it will automatically boot to the game in the first slot.
-------------

Both DenTarr and I have the same reason for wanting to disable the short-cut keys and that is for use in public.

Think of it like this... if I open an Arcade I turn the games on before I unlock the doors the player can't access the machine so the boot menu is ok, as long as it counts down and eventually starts the game on it's own.

No short-cut, no matter how long, is ok because a player could learn of it and figure it out. If someone knows of the MultiMVS's existance and wants to see if that's what's being used they might know to hold the shortcut and then gain access to the menu.

What DenTarr and myself are looking for is protection against a potentially malicious user.

Back