What's new
Well that is pretty obvious. If the buttons are disabled nobody can do anything to trigger them. If they are set to these impossible combos you can wire up special buttons and leave them locked in the cab. So YOU can switch games and go to the menu without power cycling but a player cant. Big difference.
You can power off and on faster than opening cab to press a button.On bootup anyone can get into unibios,multicart menu.
Pressing a button is certainly faster and easier than power cycling a cab.
And the point is: setting the buttons to an impossible combination instead of disabling them gives you options with no downside.
Also power cycling a CRT again and again is not necessarily good for it.

I understand why you want the option, just not sure anyone else would want to hard wire a button to their cab when a hidden combo works.but this still won't stop anyone getting to menus via power reboot. Both Unibios and Multi.
So to stop kids from messing with your cart, just stop them, watch them, or teach them how to use it.

I feel a hidden combo button on/off switch in settings would work for you.

Unless you leave your cab keys in your cab or next to it, i'm sure time is not a big problem for power reboot, power ( switch off then on ) vs hidden button in cab (get keys, unlock cab, press button, lock cab back up, hide keys)

Last edited:
So if he makes it either up and start or disabled you get what you want and I'm borked.

If he makes it either up and start or up and down , we both get what we want.

I have no idea why you'd have an issue with setting it to an impossible combo if it has zero impact on you.
They're functionally identical. It disables access from outside of the cabinet.
Why would you have an issue with setting it to "off" if it has zero impact on you?

I simply don't understand what makes *either* option better than the other.
Lets try this a different way. Please answer these 2 questions.

If its set to disabled, can I wire in a button for reset?
If its set to an impossible combo, can you power cycle the cab?

I doubt your answers are the same.

You can power off and on faster than opening cab to press a button.On bootup anyone can get into unibios,multicart menu.
On my dedicated MVS you have to open it up and flip a switch, so Im not sure how you could power cycle a cab faster.

My up/down menu idea was also an addon to my left+right to switch games idea, so I could wire the game select button up in the same manner and have it act like an actual game select button. Im sure you probably hate that idea too even though it also wouldnt impact you.

I understand why you want the option, just not sure anyone else would want to hard wire a button to their cab when a hidden combo works.but this still won't stop anyone getting to menus via power reboot.
Well 2 of us want it, just because you dont want it doesn't mean no one else does. I plan to keep the button in my coin door, I usually unlock the coin door to turn on the cab, and leave it unlocked till Im done. So your argument of keys and stuff just doesnt really apply.

Last edited:
I understand why you want the option, just not sure anyone else would want to hard wire a button to their cab when a hidden combo works.but this still won't stop anyone getting to menus via power reboot. Both Unibios and Multi.
In a real world public/commercial setup (which was implied to be the situation here based on earlier discussion on this topic, though that may have been hypothetical), power cycling should not be simple from outside the cab aside from perhaps a breaker or other master switch the operator can flip from a separate room. Kids at a typical arcade shouldn't have easy access to the outlet where the cab is plugged into, though obviously it can happen. I think the assumption here should be that that is not the case in this particular discussion.

Regardless, it's obvious that there are reasons for both setups, neither which should impact the other, so I don't see the reason to keep going back and forth. This thread is for suggestions. If or when they get implemented is not our choice. Earlier in this thread, Darksoft seemed to indicate he understood the need, so if he chooses to implement it then great.

Not sure how to quote each bit, didn't want to copy it all.

To reboot power i just use the socket on the wall it has a switch! ( no keys needed ) ( please take as joke )

I belive DenTarr wanted the button to stop kids changing game/settings, so leaving coin door open or keys next to cab is not the best idea. ( but power switch on/off would get past this again )

I understand why people want some features,i just feel hacking into my cab to do a hidden button combo is abit extreme. ( some people think hidden combos is not original but real extra buttons doing the combo hidden in cab are ?) and if DS thinks of a better way later your just left with wires and buttons inside your cab or worse drilled!!! Just give it time.

I feel from some replys people want this cart to do everything AND play games.i'm sure DS is reading this and working on the best solution for all. We all just want OUR OWN setup.

Ps. I like your move slot button idea, for me i'd like the option to use my game select button to swap slots but that would mean i can't use over carts with my multi in my setup. Win/lose

So many options we all could add to aid Our own setup, we have to start one at a time. For everyone first.

I'd be happy with a basic list, pick game, play game type of cart. But this showed me what can be done and it only going to get better!

It's must be like Mission Impossible for Darksoft.

Early on DS mentioned he would open source the menu code, once things were settled. It might be easiest to just build in hooks for various features and have folks code up their own options from there. I'm sure we will have folks in the community lean in if you can't code, yourself. some of what's been discussed should be solvable that way.

It seems like there is really only 2 requests that keep being debated.

1. Disable the button combo - This seems reasonable I don't see the need to debate it too much more.

2. Use the Select button to swap virtual slots. - There is a way that you can do this just using a 2 pole 5v relay and the standard button combo. If you are using a multislot with other carts in it just for convenience I doubt you have it in an arcade location so you can just use the normal combo to change virtual slots and the real button to change real slots. I use mine on a 2 slot with no other carts. I don't need them I have them all on the DS Cart and waiting a couple of minutes to flash a new game into a slot occasionally doesn't bother me. I pretty sure I will just do the relay mod to my select switch just haven't bothered yet. With it you can literally use any board and have virtual select button. I think in this case it would cool if instead of needing combos you could set it up so if you do a quick press it changes games and a long press goes to menu if enabled. This would be cool for single slot board users because it would turn it into a true multi slot feeling cab. If your using a super gun none of this matters.

So far I'm just stoked to be able to play the majority of the NG library at a fraction of the cost for the originals. Improvements are always good though.

Lets try this a different way. Please answer these 2 questions.

If its set to disabled, can I wire in a button for reset?
If its set to an impossible combo, can you power cycle the cab?

I doubt your answers are the same.
If you're planning on wiring a button regardless, then yes my answer is the same.

You can wire a power switch to the front of the cab (you're wiring one anyway for the up/down combo).

And I can power cycle.

End result is the same, you have access from the front of your cab and are not "borked" as you claimed.

You also read largely hostile and instead of "Let me explain my position" in response to my "I don't see the difference" your giving snarky replies like "I doubt your answers are the same" and far ruder sounding replies to other users is not beneficial to anyone. Have a drink, chill out, it's just video games.

The only reason I see your angle on this at all is because @DenTarr very politely explained it.

2. Use the Select button to swap virtual slots
This is the thing I personally want most for new features. Could I wire the select button up to press both right and 1P at the same time? Sure. But I'd have to hold it several seconds and it wouldn't behave like the MVS normally does.

And I'm with you, I have a multi-slot, and I own the multi. I don't really need any other carts in the cab.
Regardless, it's obvious that there are reasons for both setups, neither which should impact the other
Agreed. Shortcuts On/Off as an option and then if set to On, an option for what buttons need to be pressed/held/etc fits everyone's needs without impacting anyone else's.

Agreed. Shortcuts On/Off as an option and then if set to On, an option for what buttons need to be pressed/held/etc fits everyone's needs without impacting anyone else's.
Well, my reasoning was actually the other way around:
Having a menu option like: "Buttons on/off(alternate)".
If it is set to "on" it behaves like it does now. Holding "start+up" to switch slot or "start+right" for menu.
If its set to "off(alternate)" it is set to those impossible combinations (that trigger with no time delay).

My reasoning: For DS to implement it I would guess it is the same amount of work. But for us it gives a lot more options. In the alternate settings the buttons are essentially off unless you hardwire something.

But as @Mattroid said: enough about the same topic from me. I made my suggestion. Time to move on. :saint:

It seems like there is really only 2 requests that keep being debated.

1. Disable the button combo - This seems reasonable I don't see the need to debate it too much more.

2. Use the Select button to swap virtual slots. - There is a way that you can do this just using a 2 pole 5v relay and the standard button combo. If you are using a multislot with other carts in it just for convenience I doubt you have it in an arcade location so you can just use the normal combo to change virtual slots and the real button to change real slots. I use mine on a 2 slot with no other carts. I don't need them I have them all on the DS Cart and waiting a couple of minutes to flash a new game into a slot occasionally doesn't bother me. I pretty sure I will just do the relay mod to my select switch just haven't bothered yet. With it you can literally use any board and have virtual select button. I think in this case it would cool if instead of needing combos you could set it up so if you do a quick press it changes games and a long press goes to menu if enabled. This would be cool for single slot board users because it would turn it into a true multi slot feeling cab. If your using a super gun none of this matters.

So far I'm just stoked to be able to play the majority of the NG library at a fraction of the cost for the originals. Improvements are always good though.
Don't forget :-
full games working ( update for last two incoming )
Bios bypass.
Mvs game select button/extra button used to swap slots.
Game file pics upgrade.
Game sort by date/type etc.
Game list in full not mame name.
Homebrew games hacks back in list.
Faster first boot ( countdown/animation etc)
Unibios logo error, plus random bios game errors.
Highscore errors.
Save files in extra folder.
Four slot / basic menu.
Nvram clear toggle.
A nice clean DS logo on fast boot ( twisting like the Neo-Geo logo ) ;)

I think thats all i could find people asking for.
We could put the list on front page so we don't repeat it over and again.

We are a nice forum, asking why you want it? and what would it solve? is not a Dig at anyone nor intented to be hostile. I know i like to jump in when i should just log out, but i do becauce i don't feel judged and if it helps eveyone understand what the end goal is ( for everyone )

I've waited years for a NG Multicart and i've got my wish, a few months here and there for updates to roll out, i can easy live with ( i'm more than happy with it as is )

Like i said above, just give DS time, i came here because of what he did to the Cps2 via TIME and updates, if we get the same tech/software updates we will look back and laugh about this.

Please remeber that these are suggestions not demands!

We all want the same things, just setup up diffrent - easy!

I'm now going to try and not post for the rest of the week!

I don't mean to be hostile, so please don't read it that way. The answers to my question however cannot be the same , so you're being a little disingenuous saying they can be.

As for the game select button, that might actually be a one off. I have a 2 slot cab but only a 1 slot board. I just imagined others might be in the same boat and would want to make use of an otherwise usless button :)

To note, my cabs will never be put in a commercial environment (while I own them)

Anyfart, I've said my piece and we'll see what happens.

I don't mean to be hostile, so please don't read it that way. The answers to my question however cannot be the same , so you're being a little disingenuous saying they can be.
The suggestion you put a power switch in the front was absolutely a snark response to what seemed like you being hostile. If you say you aren't, then my apologies for being pointed. :)

Even having a multi slot, the select button has become by and large useless since the multi doesn't support it. I think it would be beneficial to the majority of cab owners. Though I admit to having no idea how it would/could/should behave alongside actual carts for those who choose to still run those alongside the multi.

Gents, please keep it polite. I've already stated what will be done. I will introduce an option to completely disable all button combinations. You will have to power cycle and when you are in the menu, then you will have the option to turn it on again.

The suggestion you put a power switch in the front was absolutely a snark response to what seemed like you being hostile. If you say you aren't, then my apologies for being pointed. :)
Even having a multi slot, the select button has become by and large useless since the multi doesn't support it. I think it would be beneficial to the majority of cab owners. Though I admit to having no idea how it would/could/should behave alongside actual carts for those who choose to still run those alongside the multi.
lol, I was super confused at that. I was like "the power switch is already inside the coin door?" :)

I actually just got my Multi yesterday from Mitsu, I broke off the SD reader taking the shell apart a second time after I painted it red and clear coated it.

it was my fault, I thought I took the card out of the slot , and then I just pulled a bit too hard on the clam shell. Definitely not a quality issue , but a ginger not knowing his own strength

Would it be possible that the cart gives the chance to changes the ng button layout in menu options for games ?

I will try to explain myself and why I think about that.

I actually use a sega 6 buttons panel, so buttons are like this : P1 P2 P3 K1= A B C D. I personnaly prefer to play NG games like this P1 P2 P3 K1 = B C D A to have the same feeling as NG panels. When I use UD-USB and Mame and my JVS-PAC, each time I switch to this layout which is classic NG layout.

When I play with MVS slot, each time I fire up Neo Geo I open my panel and change the cables to remap buttons to my taste, if the cart would give me the option on the cab it would be really nice.

Would it be possible that the cart gives the chance to changes the ng button layout in menu options for games ?
I think that would be complicated as it would require the cart to check all button combinations and redirect them in real time.

Back