What's new
Thanks for the answer Darksoft, I guess it would also result with input lag, maybe the best thing si just to use some jamma pcb adapter to rewire buttons and stick it to the mvs, hardware solution with less manipulation and less software operation looks to be better in the end, to keep it focused on what it originally it's intended to do...

@archimage reconfiguring the button layout was one of the reasons i bought a has, but if i remember correctly the RECO pcb made by @RGB would be perfect for you if you don't need a complete supergun...

Actually it's for an arcade cab, I already have this feature with UD-USB for supergun use, and RECO would fit my need, even if I prefer some simple pcb with just jumpers and no processing to reduce input lag sources, as I already use a jvs-jamma pcb converter that changes jvs io to jamma, thanks for your suggestion I will contact RGB for that

Hello everyone. So this is the list of pending changes to the FIRMWARE. Some of them require an update from the menu as well like 3,4,5,11 and 14 won't be noticeable until the menu is updated.

4) Make command to allow change the operation mode between MVS and AES.
5) The same applies for setting the region we want to have.
7) Kof98 (and matrimelee?): game freezes and characters go off the screen while background is still moving.
9) Option in the menu so that if UNIBIOS is present, we are not allowed to change REGION or Mode (MVS/AES).
10) Option in the menu so that we can switch off/on the key combination to enter menu and change game.

I think that covers it all :thumbsup:

UPDATED 21/20/2018

10) Special feature that can't be disclossed yet. You're gonna jump out of your coach. Trust me.

You can't just drop that #10 bomb and drop it. That's cruel and unusual punishment for some of us. 8)

Can you give us a hint?

Yeah so that I see it implemented on NeoSD 3 weeks later and before I release it.....they will even claim that I stole it from them. No clues for now....Thrilling isnt's it :thumbsup:

Looks excellent @Darksoft! Definitely excited to check out the 4 slot fixes - the graphical stuff more than anything :D

Yeah so that I see it implemented on NeoSD 3 weeks later and before I release it.....they will even claim that I stole it from them. No clues for now....Thrilling isnt's it :thumbsup:
Thats easy to avoid: simply release it tomorrow and they cant beat you to it :D

Really, you shouldn't even tease - just release it like it's no big thing and when people freak out at all the awesomeness, be like "oh that old thing? yeah, it's cool I guess 8) "

10) Special feature that can't be disclossed yet. You're gonna jump out of your coach. Trust me.

You can't just drop that #10 bomb and drop it. That's cruel and unusual punishment for some of us. 8)
Can you give us a hint?
It’s the second time DS says we will jump from the couch. Maybe it’s an airbag to put under the couch cushions, remote controlled by Metal Slug explosions ?(

Locutus73

Back to future suggestions for a bit...and to be fair I've only been testing the cart for a few days so perhaps there are already ways to do some of this that are hidden and not yet part of the menu - if so, my bad.

I believe most of the items on my wish list are currently software/menu changes, but I could be mistaken.

tl;dr:
1. Add optional 'single slot mode' that basically boots direct to the game list and forces use of the QuickLaunch feature, always flashing and booting a single game to slot 1
2. Another vote for the ability to disable the hidden button combos and instead use a hardwired button to get back to the menu
3. As part of item 2 above, prompt the user if they actually want to return to the menu or not (if this is possible)
4. Modify the menu UI to limit the potential risk of burn in (perhaps a mildly animated background, etc)
5. Allow the games list to auto-cycle through the games after X time of inactivity, helping with item 4 above
6. If user leaves the setting menu open for X amount of time without any action, automatically return to the games list and then have item 5 above kick in, again helping with item 4
7. Again, if possible, as item 5 is running, "randomly" pick a game and run through its attract mode, then auto-return to the game list and do it again (similar to ArcadeSD)
8. Update menu UI to reflect hidden button actions on screen (press A to start game in slot 1, etc; add indicator that a game can be quick launched with Start, and so on)
The main thing I'd like to see, which I'm surprised really hasn't come up in this thread yet (I don't think), is the ability for the cart to work more similarly to a "traditional" flash cart or multi board - even more like the STV and CPS2 multis, really. By this I mean, just pick a game from the list and go.

My main reason for this is that I feel that, as it all is right now, the menu and functionality really isn't all that intuitive to non-arcade collectors or Neo fans. Or more specifically, for anyone who hasn't read the instructions. We all know how this stuff works and can get used to it, sure, but as it stands, if I have people over, I'll have to explain to everyone how it works one by one and more likely than not, they'll walk away after getting confused by how to choose and assign a game, then launch it.

Yes, I know about QuickLaunch - BUT this is not evident by the current menu. The only reason I know it exists is because I read the instructions. So basically my suggestion is to add an option to "force" quick launch. Personally, I don't care about the 3 "slots" - the flashing is so fast, it seems nearly pointless for me, and most definitely unnecessary for parties where people are going to want to walk up, cycle through the list, pick a game and have it run. I may, for myself, use the other two slots to store the commonly used games but if I have other people over, I'd want to make it as simple as possible for them to play the games they want without having to learn all the intricacies of the software.

All of that said, it really makes sense, imo. All the multis I have in my arcade work this way - ArcadeSD, STV, CPS2, 48-in-one (replaced by ArcadeSD), not to mention the countless Everdrives and other flash carts in the console game room. Having something that is, let's be honest, drastically different in basic functionality can be confusing and a turn off to those who just want to play a game.

I understand the multi slot feature is a HUGE selling point and I get that most people here really like it. In a case as described though, it only complicates matters. I also realize that people could still gain access to the menu and mess with stuff, but in my case I'm not too worried about that. They can do that on most other multi boards/flash carts I have and it's never been an issue. Others may be concerned about this, so I could see additional options perhaps added around that sort of thing, especially for a commercial environment.

So here's my basic thought:

1. Add an option to allow "Single slot mode" (or whatever) - when this is enabled, then:
2. Disable the game/slot boot menu and auto-force the cart to ALWAYS first boot to the Game List
3. Hide the now unnecessary menu item "Exit and program games," and change the "Assign" image/wording on the game list from the A button to Start.

Along with all this, I'll upvote the idea to have an option to wire up a button to get back to the menu. I'll be running this in a 4 slot cab so the Select Game button obviously makes an intuitive way to get back to the menu. However, this won't be for everyone, so the current hidden combos I guess would have to do. I also wouldn't want the player to have to hold the select button - ideally they could press the select button and be prompted by an in game overlay menu that asks if they want to return to the menu. Not sure if this is really possible as it is, though - just a thought on preference and overall user experience.

I think I've rambled on enough about that specifically...but I'm not done...

There's some obvious enhancements to the menu past all of that, some which I think may have been mentioned at some point in the past, this thread or not.

Potential menu burn in - For most of us where our games aren't on all the time, this is likely not an issue, but it's still something to consider. The menu looks great, sure, but it appears to be static on all screens. This could be an issue at some point. I'd suggest that, at minimum, there be some sort of animation that can happen after so many seconds or minutes of inactivity. For example, if a user leaves the options menu up for 30 seconds with no input, go back to the games list and auto-cycle through the games. The background and menu borders could still be a concern, but it's a start. Perhaps easier/faster in the short term, add a 'screensaver' type thing that happens after so many minutes and displays a bouncing Neo-Geo / Darksoft logo, I dunno :D

In a perfect world, it'd be nice if the menu could randomly run through a game's attract mode and then automatically come back to the menu, but I guess if this were possible as-is, we wouldn't have to softboot/return to hardware slot 1 (on multi-slot boards) to actually start a game. For context, ArcadeSD does something similar where it auto cycles through the game list and then starts a game, lets it run through attract for a bit, then goes back to the list and does it again with a different game. At any point you can go back to the list and select a game to start. Additionally, the background is animated (star field like old Windows screensaver, lol) to help with possible burn in.I think the only thing static on the ADS is the free play/credit counter at the bottom left.

Lastly (whew...) there are several features currently missing any sort of UI reference in the menu. Maybe this is already coming as the menu keeps up with added features, but figured I'd mention it...for one, as mentioned above, there is no on screen indicator that a quick launch button exists currently. This should be added on screen someplace so people know it's possible. Additionally, in the game/slot menu, there's no indication that buttons A B and C are used to launch a specific game. Maybe change the text of "Slot 1:" "Slot 2:" etc to "Press A:" "Press B" etc (or maybe just use the button graphics). Also, iirc, the Help screen indicates the hidden button combos backwards (someone may correct me here, but I think that's the case).

Understandably, this is all rather low priority - as I said: it's a wish list :)

Okay, I'll stop now :S

I second the point that the quicklaunch feature with start button should be mentioned in menu. Its a good way to bypass all the slot handling after all and comes close to a "simpler" menu. Thats something on my wishlist too.

On another note: If there are still some issues with the multislot boards I really dont understand why they are used with the Multi at all? When you have all the games in the Multi what are more slots good for?

Back to future suggestions for a bit...and to be fair I've only been testing the cart for a few days so perhaps there are already ways to do some of this that are hidden and not yet part of the menu - if so, my bad.

I believe most of the items on my wish list are currently software/menu changes, but I could be mistaken.
Seems to be the case. All very valid points though.

The main thing I'd like to see, which I'm surprised really hasn't come up in this thread yet (I don't think), is the ability for the cart to work more similarly to a "traditional" flash cart or multi board - even more like the STV and CPS2 multis, really. By this I mean, just pick a game from the list and go.

My main reason for this is that I feel that, as it all is right now, the menu and functionality really isn't all that intuitive to non-arcade collectors or Neo fans. Or more specifically, for anyone who hasn't read the instructions. We all know how this stuff works and can get used to it, sure, but as it stands, if I have people over, I'll have to explain to everyone how it works one by one and more likely than not, they'll walk away after getting confused by how to choose and assign a game, then launch it.

Yes, I know about QuickLaunch - BUT this is not evident by the current menu. The only reason I know it exists is because I read the instructions. So basically my suggestion is to add an option to "force" quick launch. Personally, I don't care about the 3 "slots" - the flashing is so fast, it seems nearly pointless for me, and most definitely unnecessary for parties where people are going to want to walk up, cycle through the list, pick a game and have it run. I may, for myself, use the other two slots to store the commonly used games but if I have other people over, I'd want to make it as simple as possible for them to play the games they want without having to learn all the intricacies of the software.

All of that said, it really makes sense, imo. All the multis I have in my arcade work this way - ArcadeSD, STV, CPS2, 48-in-one (replaced by ArcadeSD), not to mention the countless Everdrives and other flash carts in the console game room. Having something that is, let's be honest, drastically different in basic functionality can be confusing and a turn off to those who just want to play a game.

I understand the multi slot feature is a HUGE selling point and I get that most people here really like it. In a case as described though, it only complicates matters. I also realize that people could still gain access to the menu and mess with stuff, but in my case I'm not too worried about that. They can do that on most other multi boards/flash carts I have and it's never been an issue. Others may be concerned about this, so I could see additional options perhaps added around that sort of thing, especially for a commercial environment.
We know that cartridge should boot up faster but that will come as soon as main functionalities and bugs have been ironed out. The 1PLaunch is a nice feature, but as you said it's probably not clear unless you read the instructions carefully. So you suggest some more information on each screen on the bottom or maybe an Instructions section on the menu?

So here's my basic thought:

1. Add an option to allow "Single slot mode" (or whatever) - when this is enabled, then:
2. Disable the game/slot boot menu and auto-force the cart to ALWAYS first boot to the Game List
3. Hide the now unnecessary menu item "Exit and program games," and change the "Assign" image/wording on the game list from the A button to Start.

Along with all this, I'll upvote the idea to have an option to wire up a button to get back to the menu. I'll be running this in a 4 slot cab so the Select Game button obviously makes an intuitive way to get back to the menu. However, this won't be for everyone, so the current hidden combos I guess would have to do. I also wouldn't want the player to have to hold the select button - ideally they could press the select button and be prompted by an in game overlay menu that asks if they want to return to the menu. Not sure if this is really possible as it is, though - just a thought on preference and overall user experience.
That's already impletemented. You can choose boot to MENU or GAME.

I think I've rambled on enough about that specifically...but I'm not done...
:rolleyes:

There's some obvious enhancements to the menu past all of that, some which I think may have been mentioned at some point in the past, this thread or not.

Potential menu burn in - For most of us where our games aren't on all the time, this is likely not an issue, but it's still something to consider. The menu looks great, sure, but it appears to be static on all screens. This could be an issue at some point. I'd suggest that, at minimum, there be some sort of animation that can happen after so many seconds or minutes of inactivity. For example, if a user leaves the options menu up for 30 seconds with no input, go back to the games list and auto-cycle through the games. The background and menu borders could still be a concern, but it's a start. Perhaps easier/faster in the short term, add a 'screensaver' type thing that happens after so many minutes and displays a bouncing Neo-Geo / Darksoft logo, I dunno :D

In a perfect world, it'd be nice if the menu could randomly run through a game's attract mode and then automatically come back to the menu, but I guess if this were possible as-is, we wouldn't have to softboot/return to hardware slot 1 (on multi-slot boards) to actually start a game. For context, ArcadeSD does something similar where it auto cycles through the game list and then starts a game, lets it run through attract for a bit, then goes back to the list and does it again with a different game. At any point you can go back to the list and select a game to start. Additionally, the background is animated (star field like old Windows screensaver, lol) to help with possible burn in.I think the only thing static on the ADS is the free play/credit counter at the bottom left.
Very good point on the burn in thing. I didnt even think about it.

Lastly (whew...) there are several features currently missing any sort of UI reference in the menu. Maybe this is already coming as the menu keeps up with added features, but figured I'd mention it...for one, as mentioned above, there is no on screen indicator that a quick launch button exists currently. This should be added on screen someplace so people know it's possible. Additionally, in the game/slot menu, there's no indication that buttons A B and C are used to launch a specific game. Maybe change the text of "Slot 1:" "Slot 2:" etc to "Press A:" "Press B" etc (or maybe just use the button graphics). Also, iirc, the Help screen indicates the hidden button combos backwards (someone may correct me here, but I think that's the case).

Understandably, this is all rather low priority - as I said: it's a wish list :)

Okay, I'll stop now :S
Valid points on the luck of info when navigating.

Keep it coming. Definitely this kind of feedback is welcome and appreciated. Better more than less....worse that can happen is that we say it can't/won't be implemented.

On another note: If there are still some issues with the multislot boards I really dont understand why they are used with the Multi at all? When you have all the games in the Multi what are more slots good for?
For some people, perhaps all they have are multi slot boards? I have two single slot boards that I had before I got a 4 slot which have mostly remained in storage as backups since. I need to dig out my MV1C and probably put that in my 4 slot cab to properly run the multi at some point. I'm okay with that in the long run if it's needed, but am certainly hoping that compatibility will one day be fairly consistent across all boards, primarily for those who don't already have single slot boards and don't want to have to go buy another mobo.
We know that cartridge should boot up faster but that will come as soon as main functionalities and bugs have been ironed out.
I don't think I said anything specifically related to the boot up speed, but yeah it would definitely help with multi-board setups. But yeah, other stuff comes first for sure.
The 1PLaunch is a nice feature, but as you said it's probably not clear unless you read the instructions carefully. So you suggest some more information on each screen on the bottom or maybe an Instructions section on the menu?
In its most basic form, yes. Right now the bottom of the games list screen has A: Select B: Filter C: Menu. I'd suggest that before A:, there should be S: Load, though in the forced 'single slot' mode I suggested (and briefly describe again below), then A: Select would be hidden and it'd just read S: Load B: Filter C: Menu.

Space is a concern though, so maybe Filter and Menu should be elsewhere on screen (top right maybe) since those two selections are not game selection specific? Perhaps getting too much in the weeds here - just taking as much into account as I can.
That's already impletemented. You can choose boot to MENU or GAME.
Maybe it's a 4slot board issue or something, but I can't get the cart to boot to the actual games selection list (list of all games on SD). Regardless of boot mode option (and I confirm the setting saves), I always see the slot list/count down screen at boot, and if the count down ends, it reboots to the first game flashed. I have yet to actually get to the screen below at boot, which is what I'm suggesting as an option:

multigameslist.jpg

Please excuse the shitty LCD in my cab right now :(

If that's what should be happening when the boot mode is set one way or another, then great, but it hasn't worked for me yet (again, maybe something weird with my 4 slot). However, my suggestion to make "single slot" mode takes it a bit further and basically hides any reference to assigning games to "Slots" and would also bypass the countdown screen so even when they reboot or go back to menu when in-game, they shouldn't see that screen as it'd just confuse things for the end user.

Keep it coming. Definitely this kind of feedback is welcome and appreciated. Better more than less....worse that can happen is that we say it can't/won't be implemented.
Understood - just wanted them out there :thumbsup:

Maybe it's a 4slot board issue or something, but I can't get the cart to boot to the actual games selection list (list of all games on SD). Regardless of boot mode option (and I confirm the setting saves), I always see the slot list/count down screen at boot, and if the count down ends, it reboots to the first game flashed. I have yet to actually get to the screen below at boot, which is what I'm suggesting as an option:
AFAIK this worked for all users with a 4 slot and in all the 4 slots I have. Which version of firmware and menu you have? Don't provide the version indicated by menu, that's not upgraded properly yet.

If that's what should be happening when the boot mode is set one way or another, then great, but it hasn't worked for me yet (again, maybe something weird with my 4 slot). However, my suggestion to make "single slot" mode takes it a bit further and basically hides any reference to assigning games to "Slots" and would also bypass the countdown screen so even when they reboot or go back to menu when in-game, they shouldn't see that screen as it'd just confuse things for the end user.
Yes that's how it works. The countdown doesn't even appear.

Back