What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
So the Konami DDR games have an IO board for each player located inside the dance platform (often called the Pad IO or Stage IO). it looks like this:
s-l1000.jpg

These things are expensive (~$250 for a fully working one) and they like to die (I have a few dead ones and one partially working one).

The boards have 2 functions, 1 input from the dance pad, and 2 output for the dance pad lights.

There's not much to these and on my dead ones I've verified every last component as good except for that XILINX XC9536 chip.

So I'm curious if there is a dump of this chip available so that I could potentially make some replacements for my dead boards.

AFAIK this chip only serves 2 functions.
1. it acts like a 4-input OR gate for each pad arrow (4 sensors per arrow, so any one of the sensors tripping registers as a step for use in dance mode (this is routed directly to the joystick pins of the JAMMA connector)

2. It has some kind of communication with the system573 for use only in test mode, so that it can communicate explicitly which of the 16 sensors is being tripped (this is communicated through a separate I/O connector on the system 573). I think this also needs a "ready" signal from the 573 as when you disconnect this I/O connector from the 573 it will partially disable the dance platform outputs until you jump one of the pins on the connector to ground.

Interesting I'm not familiar with GHETT.io... I used to be on SOWs but I didn't log in for a while so they deactivated my account :(

I'm a bit confused as to what this is used for... reading the description:

Use this board to replace your Pad IO in your Dance Dance Revolution arcade pad.
Cool that makes sense!

Each board connects via micro-USB cable.
ok now that no longer makes sense

Interesting I'm not familiar with GHETT.io... I used to be on SOWs but I didn't log in for a while so they deactivated my account :(

I'm a bit confused as to what this is used for... reading the description:

Use this board to replace your Pad IO in your Dance Dance Revolution arcade pad.
Cool that makes sense!
Each board connects via micro-USB cable.
ok now that no longer makes sense
It's kind of like a DDR-pinned version of a JPAC/IPAC for when you want to hook pads up to a PC for Stepmania/OITG/etc without having to make a custom wiring harness. Kind of like a MiniMaid without the video amp.

ah gotcha... seems like it might be useful for someone who just has Pads without the cab,

Yep, but I think what aoiddr is getting at is that to make those boards Kate probably dumped the CPLD you're looking for to reverse engineer it ;)

I read the datasheet and it didn't say anything about protection. Could it be not protected at all? I might have the tool to dump this, got to check first. The board itself is simple. I once draw the schematic. Might good idea to make replacement board.

I read the datasheet and it didn't say anything about protection. Could it be not protected at all? I might have the tool to dump this, got to check first. The board itself is simple. I once draw the schematic. Might good idea to make replacement board.
They are definitely protected (by default), it can be disabled during programming, but very rare to find one not protected from read back.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/data_sheets/DS063.pdf -- Page 13, Design Security

to make those boards Kate probably dumped the CPLD
Maybe she did, but I doubt it because you wouldn't need to. if you're not using the original system 573 hardware then all you need is to OR all the sensor together which can be done with a simple logic IC (some people even just twist all the wires together for the same result). the bulk of what the CPLD does is communicate with the system 573s test mode for troubleshooting, but if you're using a PC with Stepmania or ITG or something else then none of that functionality is used so it'd be a completely worthless effort to reverse engineer that functionality.

i'm pretty sure there are clones on AliExpress
there are also i/o for raw thrills stuff. :D

Sounds like it is time for you to buy a logic analyzer :D

Yep, but I think what aoiddr is getting at is that to make those boards Kate probably dumped the CPLD you're looking for to reverse engineer it ;)
No, I did not.

Somewhat amusingly, I did come across this thread looking for information on dumping said chip.

Back