What's new

LazerFlux

Professional
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a borderline topic, but:

I'm aware that the CV1000 boards are able to be reflashed via JTAG.
I have a Deathsmiles pcb on order right now, and was about to bid on a black label kit this morning that sextupled in price in the last 30 minutes so I bowed out.

So my question is, Has anyone successfully flashed DS Black label to a DS board, and how does it run?
Is there any technical documentation available on this?
The fact that the CV1000-D has double the ram and is clocked 33MHz higher than the CV1000-B is a little concerning.

Oh boy...with the insane prices cave boards/kits are fetching, do you really want conversions floating around? We all know Cave themselves were reflashing their boards, leave it at that.

You can't reflash the sound data anyway.
Not sure how many people would be willing to begin with to experiment with +$1000 PCBs.

Contrary to popular knowledge you cannot JTAG a CV1000 PCB 100%.

Only the chips U2 and U4 are connected to the CPU so you will have to desolder and reprogram U23 and U24 (sound chips)
Ew.

Thanks for the heads up!
I'll look into it a bit more, but I assume that DS and DSMBL have different sound data.
I suppose I'll have to deal with normal DS, as I don't want to perform any physical modifications unless absolutely necessary for repair.

Oh boy...with the insane prices cave boards/kits are fetching, do you really want conversions floating around? We all know Cave themselves were reflashing their boards, leave it at that.
I sure don't want conversions floating around. I'm only interested in reversible, software-based conversions for personal use, which I would revert if I were to sell the board.
Preservation is very important to me.
However at the moment, the 390,000JPY that the DSMBL kit I was eyeing this morning sold for is a little too much for my current fun money budget.

I get it, prices are insane, and if one can do it why not. But this opens the gates to bootleggers to grab whatever the lower cost boards are, thus raising the price further on those, so they can convert them to the more expensive ones. But hey, they are your boards, and you can do as you wish them. If you find any interesting info on your search for this, let us know. :)

I get it, prices are insane, and if one can do it why not. But this opens the gates to bootleggers to grab whatever the lower cost boards are, thus raising the price further on those, so they can convert them to the more expensive ones. But hey, they are your boards, and you can do as you wish them. If you find any interesting info on your search for this, let us know. :)
That's so gross.
If you're going to bootleg a CV-1000, you might as well just make repros, since they were made entirely with off-the-shelf parts, from my understanding.

I'll let you guys know anything I come across, unless it would enable more unscrupulous individuals to mess up what boards there are left.

I'll let you guys know anything I come across, unless it would enable more unscrupulous individuals to mess up what boards there are left.
There is no "unless", it will happen. That's why bootlegs exist in the first place.

Doesn't mean nobody should investigate the possibilities, we are all free to do this.

Back