What's new

Asure

Grand Master
Reaction score
For a project, i a looking for someone who knows their way around ms-dos (actually PTS-DOS) and simple COM / EXE binaries.

So, any old school dos crackers here who can have a go at some old EXE/COM files from around 1999 - 2004?
I have some cracked/uncracked binaries but am not skilled in x86/asm code to see what was done to make things work :)

I'm looking for someone who can do HASP4(on LPT1) in DOS / possible Copy Control bypass (some files in my project are being CCMOVE.EXE'd from a CD to HD image..)

PM me for samples and more info.

I was pretty good at this back in the day, but the problem will be building an environment that's capable of running Softice on a modern PC.

IDA Pro or Ollydbg wouldn't work?

Softice will run up to XP, so an older machine with XP or even Windows 7 with Windows XP mode installed should do it

I can look at the exe in the 7.x free IDA version in 16-bit if that means something.
But i have no idea what i am looking at.

Environment would be easy, i am assuming softice runs in Dosbox.
The target(s) runs in dosbox up to protection issue, and the cracked version runs fine in dosbox.
I have copies of softice 280 and 262 if needed, and can help you with getting the env set up.

The problem with using dosbox is it sounds like you're trying to patch out/crack a parallel port dongle protection.

Wouldn't you need to have the dongle connected and the program working properly in order to see what a successful startup looks like? Does dosbox run with enough privileges to access the parallel port?

This dosbox has direct lpt access. http://ykhwong.x-y.net/

There are several hurdles in this protection scheme. If you're up for it, send me a PM.

HASP, MicroCosm CopyControl, and Dallas 1982 single wire protection device.

IDA Pro or Ollydbg wouldn't work?

Softice will run up to XP, so an older machine with XP or even Windows 7 with Windows XP mode installed should do it
Dead listing a program is orders of magnitude harder than live debugging.

And running a dos box under Windows adds all kinds of issues in the mix. What's really needed is a real DOS setup with no Windows.

Back