What's new

bytestorm

Professional
Reaction score
Hey :)

Have been wondering about the PROGBK1 / CHA512 pcb set for a while..

Would there be any way to adress big P roms on this PROGBK1 board?

Later games such as metal slug 5 and Samurai spirits 5 special have bigger P roms than this pcb originally supports..
(BUT I found out that at least ms5 has garbage at the end of the 8MB P rom file that can be deleted making it fit)

However my focus is now Samurai Spirits 5 Final Edition! Which also has 2x 4MB P roms
Since we have so many talentet ppl on these boards I though I would ask for help making this possible :)

Its the P1 slot that max can adress a 27C160 eprom (2MB rom file) that needs to be modded to use 27C322 eprom (4MB), or is its the P2 slot that needs to adress 6MB?
Physically it fits but I dont know how the banking works :/

Of cource there needs to be adapter pcb fitted with flash and leveltranslators for all C and V roms, but they already exist, so its only the P rom banking thats holdig this back

bottom.png

Attachments

• top.png
    top.png
    133.7 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
it can use 2x 4mb - the jumper table is listed.

I am not sure you understand what I mean.
I want to use 2x 32Mbit (2x 4MiB) P-roms

As far as I can see only P2 supports the 27C322 eprom?

There is no jumpersetting that I can see to use :

P1 - 27C322
P2 - 27C322

If I missed it please show me the jumpersettings, it would help me alot

Thanks!!

i was confusing P-roms with V-roms.

that said, the schematic is convoluted bullshit - i dont know what clown designed that cartridge.
i tried to follow the decoding through the schematic and it makes no sense.
if i could work it out then it could be moded.

Too bad :(. Would really liked to try and make a decrypted ssvs on a bk1/512 setup..
Only P rom holding it back..

any thoughts on this now that we have a fully decrypted samsho5fe? :D

I do have 1 thought.

In this particular case, since the game uses such large rom files, and 64meg EPROMs don’t exist, you would need to use flash roms with dip adapters in place of the original mask roms. And since SS5 and SS5S are such rare and expensive carts, it would become prohibitively expensive to sacrifice them anyhow. (not recommended)

So it is far better and easier and cheaper to just get a bootleg / pirate SS5S cart that uses all flash roms already, and then simply replace those SS5S roms that need to be replaced with the newly programmed SS5SFE roms. (which I think is P1, P2, and the C roms) I don’t think the V roms or the M & S roms need to be changed. Well, there is no physical S rom on a legit cart anyhow.

I just noticed that you said the romset has been completely decrypted. So yes, in that case, any non protected donor boards would then work. And SS5S only uses 2 of the 4 P rom positions, so those two 64 meg rom files could be split into four 32 meg eprom files. Plenty of space to do that.

The biggest problem is the C roms. Because there does not exist a CHA board that supports more then 8 of them at 64 megs maximum per slot, and all 8 positions are fully occupied. Hence, you must use dip adapters with SMD flash roms on original SNK boards, or find bootleg boards that will work instead.

I just noticed that you said the romset has been completely decrypted. So yes, in that case, any non protected donor boards would then work. And SS5S only uses 2 of the 4 P rom positions, so those two 64 meg rom files could be split into four 32 meg eprom files. Plenty of space to do that.

The biggest problem is the C roms. Because there does not exist a CHA board that supports more then 8 of them at 64 megs maximum per slot, and all 8 positions are fully occupied. Hence, you must use dip adapters with SMD flash roms on original SNK boards, or find bootleg boards that will work instead.
I will make adapterpcbs för the C roms. Might make 2x 256MB instead of 8x 64MB, but thats no problem.. for me the problem is still how to solve the P rom banking/handling, since the PROGBK1 donor board doesnt support 4x 27C322..

Neogeo_cup_98_set1_b1_front.jpg

Could use the revision cart of the fully decrypted KoF '99.
the decrypted kof99 is running on the same bk1 pcb so thats still a problem.. BUT perhaps it could be run on the PROGBLA kof99 pcb if the P roms were encrypted with kof99 key.
I dont know how the programming wizards on this forum make the encryption/decryption scripts thou :/

There is a Prog board that actually has 5 positions for P roms, the ProgSS3 board which as far as I’ve seen, was only used for some Samurai Showdown 3 carts. However, only the P5 slot supports large roms. It looks like the P1-P4 slots do not support large roms.

It’s not an easy thing to accommodate here because the SS5 games were so large.

The other issue is that we already have mass confusion with the SS5F rom sets. I’ve seen several different title screens already. Encrypted, decrypted, Japanese, English, different colors, text that says special, text that says perfect, etc. It’s a mess out there. How do we even determine what is real and what is fan made or decide which one is the best one to use?

There is a Prog board that actually has 5 positions for P roms, the ProgSS3 board which as far as I’ve seen, was only used for some Samurai Showdown 3 carts. However, only the P5 slot supports large roms. It looks like the P1-P4 slots do not support large roms.

It’s not an easy thing to accommodate here because the SS5 games were so large.

The other issue is that we already have mass confusion with the SS5F rom sets. I’ve seen several different title screens already. Encrypted, decrypted, Japanese, English, different colors, text that says special, text that says perfect, etc. It’s a mess out there. How do we even determine what is real and what is fan made or decide which one is the best one to use?
I would be perfectly happy with regular SS5s :D but there will be a "final" version ready soon I think of this perfect edition

Back