What's new

SEGASHIRO

Professional
Reaction score
Hello All!

My arcade cabinet is doing a strange thing where the top of the picture is distorted and there is interference in the whites of the picture. It did this once before and then went back to working perfectly for a long time so I thought it was a board issue. :(

However, it is also a making a hissing sound now which has me worried. Is it the flyback or in need of cap kit or both?

Picture 1:

arcade woe 1.jpg

The upper left hand corner is screwed up

Picture 2:

arcade woes 2.jpg

Much clearer to see the issue here.

The power level at the board level +5.12 V but the power supply looks like the voltage dial is a bit busted so I am going to replace it and they are on order. I really don't want to lose the CRT picture on this cabinet.

I will upload some cell phone footage in a little bit if that would help anyone help diagnose this issue.

Last edited:
Adjusting your Horizontal Frequency or Horizontal Hold should clear that right up.

Have you ever done a cap kit on this monitor

If your flyback was bad you would notice sparks (arcing) coming from the flyback itself or blown fuses on your chassis.

Here is a video of the issue here (sorry for the small size of the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Ze-CuVj1Q

I tried the typical monitor controls but while 90% of the picture stabilized the top portion was still screwed up. Also, it was working fine a few days before.

During the 8 months I've owned this cab there hasn't been a cap kit done. My gut feeling that the original owner probably didn't do one.

Then I would go ahead and do a cap kit. If you have dried caps then no level of adjusting is going to fix the issue.

Back