What's new

Urabutbl

Student
Reaction score
So, I recently bought a weird little (well, big) cabinet called a G-Balance, which many people (especially the French crowd) seem to hold in higher esteem than the Vewlix F. So far I'm exceedingly pleased with it, it's very well put together and works marvellously with my TypeX2. It's also fairly easy to rotate the screen (no mechanism, but the work of of one person and minutes), and though the control panel is currently 1player, it takes standard Net City CPs.

It also has a built-in Jamma connector, and a switch between JVS and Jamma input. Now, I didn't buy the machine for this purpose, I have a Blast and an Egret2 for that, but my wife is allowing the G-Balance in the house for some reason, so it would be cool to just be able to chuck in a PCB or a multi when I have guests rather than taking them into my murder dunge... ehrm, garage. My problem is that obviously, the monitor needs a VGA port to plug into, but the cabinet just has a standard Jamma-slot. I know the Jamma slot works, as I plugged in an Arcade SD-card (which has an on-board VGA-out) into both the Jamma-slot and the monitor, and that played fine.

From what I can glean from the Japanese manual, the VGA out-port was an add-on the arcades could order, and there is an empty slot where the card could go (see below). But this could also be utterly wrong, maybe I'm just missing a lead that's supposed to go from one of the boards in the machine and end in a VGA-out? Also, if there was a card, was it upscaling anything? The ArcadeSD gives me picture even when not in "VGA"-mode.

SO: does anyone know anything about this? And if not, is there an easy way to add VGA-out taken from the Jamma port to my cabinet? It could be something as easy as a pass-through adapter between the Jamma-port and the PCB that ported the video signal to VGA and then to the monitor (in my head, I could build this, if I only had the know-how to build this, if you see what I mean....). I've googled, but not found a solution...

Any help or advice appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_2175 (1).jpg
    IMG_2175 (1).jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 542
  • IMG_2174 (1).jpg
    IMG_2174 (1).jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 834
  • IMG_2173 (1).jpg
    IMG_2173 (1).jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 611
Last edited:
It seems to accept vga when it's in JVS mode? So maybe the board was an upscaler to transform lower resolution video signals to vga.
It might help if you could give brand and type of monitor it has inside to determine if it's native vga or 15k.

You have a loose connector on the first picture that seems to be RGB GND and Sync.

You call it a vga output. Don't you need a vga input? Your multi jamma game board has a vga output that should connect to the monitor vga input to produce a vga picture...

You call it a vga output. Don't you need a vga input? Your multi jamma game board has a vga output that should connect to the monitor vga input to produce a vga picture...
I don't think so - my monitor has a normal monitor cable, the kind that plugs into the TypeX2 or any computer. To get the signal that goes out from the Jamma board and into the cabinet's JAMMA slot, I need a VGA output port that I can plug my monitor cable into, so the signal can go into the monitor. Or I'm confusing my terms. Either way, irrelevant, I need a signal to my monitor from the cabinet :D

However, I think you've hit the nail on the head about the loose connector. I followed it back, and it is the video signal from the JAMMA port. My guess is this then plugged into the upscaler board - and if you look at this flyer you can clearly see the two ports where i just have a metal bracket. So... any tips on an upscaler board?

Oh, and my monitor is a WA32H07b0-C. This means less than nothing to me, and is probably custom to the cab, but again according to the flyer, it's a 32inch LCD 31/38/64 kHz (16:9) monitor.

Thanks!

EDIT: After digging around a bit more, I think the normal GBS8200 upscaler should work perfectly, if I just exchange the custom connector they've used in the G-Balance for theirs. Thank you so much for setting me on the right path!

Last edited:
Back