What's new

Brentradio

Champion
Reaction score
So I changed the original fan out of my CPSII A board which sounds like two jet engines, and it is quieter.

Now it just sounds like one jet engine...

:(

Is there a way to hook up a "dimmer" switch to the fan, similar to a light dimmer?

I was thinking about this while looking at a small portable house fan that has 3 speeds on it, or just reduce it at a fixed rate.

Or is there another/better way to control the speed of the fan? It sure seems to me that the fan can do it's job at a much reduced RPM and thus run quieter.

:D

Last edited:
Just replace it with a Papst 612 and be done with it ;)
+1

That's exactly what I did, and it runs at the noise level of a PS2 now. Decreasing the fan speed is probably a bad idea, anyway. I do know some people run their CPS2 supergun setups with no fans at all, but I wouldn't do that. Especially if it's inside a cabinet.

+1 for the papst, running one here as well. Decreases the noise significantly while still moving plenty of air.

Last edited:
Where to buy this fan?

Ok, ebay has them, not cheap!

Last edited:
Yeah quieter fan is the way to go.

I've used resistors in other projects to drop input voltage for fans, but the wattage you need adds up quick (1/4 watt won't cut it). Even then, you usually just end up with a lower pitched tone of "loud ass fan"

This is the fan I have in my A board, very happy with it, quiet, and cheap, $10 and free shipping. Went from jet engine to not an issue.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008S1HNPS
Just got this fan installed. It was a bit snug, but I got everything in place, and I am very happy with the noise levels. It now a soothing sound, not an irritating one.

Just to be sure, is the fan supposed to be blowing air into or out of the unit?

Yeah it's powered directly off 12v, you can hear the fan speed change when adjusting voltage. I would put a resistor in line if you want a set speed for quiet operation (you could wire that up to a switch to toggle between low/full speed), or a pot if you want to adjust it on the fly.

This is the fan I have in my A board, very happy with it, quiet, and cheap, $10 and free shipping. Went from jet engine to not an issue.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008S1HNPS
x2 on this above! Thanks for the heads up Aurich!

I've now installed a couple of these and have a final one for my last A-board. They are nice and quiet, even when outside the cab. And a damned sight cheaper than a Papst!
(and yes, gentle airflow OUT of the unit!)

fanmod2.jpg

Attachments

• fan-done.jpg
    fan-done.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 244
Back