What's new
The SMD Murata filters are a common issue on these boards, they lose contact from pads simply handling/flexing the PCB.
yup! it looked like bad contact on the output pins of FL12 I just reflowed it and the right direction is working properly now. Thank you for the suggestion; that was an easy fix.

It seems the only problem now is the settings not saving.

I should note that I don't have the object board converted, I'm still using the normal SWS97 object board so sprites are garbled, but that is to be expected.

@SnakeGrunger You have a converted object board right? Try the last ROMs but with the KeyCus removed. let us know how it looks.

It seems the only problem now is the settings not saving.
Try this:
1) Enter service mode
2) Enter A.D.S. menu

0003.png

3) Clear EEPROM by pressing both 1&2P start buttons

0002.png

4) Select YES and press button 1

0004.png

P.S.: Flip mode is completely bugged in MAME, sprites are totally absent, tested with OG romset and non hacked version of MAME.

[EDIT]
For others who'd like to perform/test the conversion here's the latest version of patched ROM files to avoid confusion:
filedropper.com/nr2mpru_3

Last edited by a moderator:
just tried clearing eprom data through a.d.s. it's still not saving settings. :-/

yes, play time is counting correctly and is retained between power off and back on. It does clear when I clear a.d.s. but it still doesn't save any of the other settings.

High scores don't appear to be saved between power cycles either.

Really weird, it means write/read to the EEPROM is partially working.
I'll have a look later, it would be good if you could test the game in the meantime.

it might a little while before I can do a proper play test. I'm still waiting on parts to convert the object board; and without the screen flip working I'm currently playing upside down with garbled graphics which isn't the best for play testing. I think @SnakeGrunger might be in a better position for play testing than I am right now.

Last edited:
I'm still curious to understand why settings don't save, it's driving me nuts, but as always I suspect MAME directly writes to the EEPROM file where on real hardware there might be something else involved (KeyCus?).
What's weird is play time seems to be saved (can it be confirmed?).
Can you guys give me more details? What settings aren't saved? What about high scores?

Do people with "KeyCus free" conversions using different files than mines experience the same?

Do people with "KeyCus free" conversions using different files than mines experience the same?
I recently spoke with someone who has one of these converted PCBs made by AMB and his does not have any issues with saving the settings in the test menu.

Can you guys give me more details? What settings aren't saved? What about high scores?
I went through mine and changed every setting in the test menu... NOTHING is saved, except play time. No high scores are saved either.

@SnakeGrunger, @twistedsymphony can you guys please try those files
Fantastic!

I just tried them and the test mode options are saving perfectly now. I went through changed every option and all of them were used when I returned to game mode and they all still held after a power cycle too.

high scores however are not saving between power cycles. I'm unsure if this is normal behavior or if they should be saving between power cycling.

In any case I can at least play the game now without standing on my head :D Thank you.

high scores however are not saving between power cycles. I'm unsure if this is normal behavior or if they should be saving between power cycling.
Does anyone have access to an OG board to confirm it's normal behaviour?
I can't save high scores in MAME, neither can @SnakeGrunger so there's the possibility game simply doesn't save them in EEPROM.

@Apocalypse, could you please re-upload the final conversion files? I'm getting ready to convert my board and all of the FileDropper links are dead now.

Thank you, thank you!

Back