What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
I recently bought this cheap PCB that was listed as a "Strikers 1945" but looked like a newer SH2 based PCB. it's actually Strikers 1945 II but it looks like it was converted to that. All of the roms have black paint on them, the sound rom is doubled up with a logic ic attached to it and there are a few other wires on here.

strikers_1.jpg
strikers_3.jpg

Anyone know what this PCB was originally? it's a PS3V1 PCB which mame says was used for:
Sol Divide (c)1997
Strikers 1945 II (c)1997
Space Bomber Ver.B (c)1998
Daraku Tenshi - The Fallen Angels (c)1998

I can't imagine they's covert something like Sol Divide to 1945 but who knows...

Attachments

• strikers_2.jpg
    strikers_2.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 1,004
  • strikers_4.jpg
    strikers_4.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 1,148
something like Sol Divide
I mean, Sol Divide is arguably the worst shmup that Psikyo put out, and you can pick it up for $50-75 less than Strikers II usually, I don't think it's that out of line to think that's where it came from.

Or maybe it's an obscenely extensive repair and was Strikers II originally?

there doesn't seem to be any damage to the PCB that would have warranted a repair.

the most confusing to me is the painted roms...

Plugging the JAMMA connector in backwards wouldn't show any PCB damage.

Just theorizing, I'm as without an answer as you are.

Its a conversion. Thats why the ICs are painted over, they used to be scraped off.

I guess most likely the roms were split among the flashes?

Conversions:

conv-Strikers1945ii_001.jpg

Original pcb that has had work done to it

strikers_pcb.jpg

Attachments

• conv-Strikers1945ii_002.jpg
    conv-Strikers1945ii_002.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 533
wow, my conversion looks like it was done by the same person that did your first example there. same wire color and hot glue technique and everything.

what Psikyo game uses the sub board?

I recently bought this cheap PCB that was listed as a "Strikers 1945" but looked like a newer SH2 based PCB. it's actually Strikers 1945 II but it looks like it was converted to that. All of the roms have black paint on them, the sound rom is doubled up with a logic ic attached to it and there are a few other wires on here.

strikers_1.jpg
strikers_3.jpg

Anyone know what this PCB was originally? it's a PS3V1 PCB which mame says was used for:
Sol Divide (c)1997
Strikers 1945 II (c)1997
Space Bomber Ver.B (c)1998
Daraku Tenshi - The Fallen Angels (c)1998

I can't imagine they's covert something like Sol Divide to 1945 but who knows...
Looks like a conversion PCB. The OG Striker 1945 PCB has different layout.
The stickers on EPROMs are not original,either. I saw the Chinese characters on the stickers. I am sure the PCB is from China...
There are some skilled persons doing arcade PCB repair/conversion and sale them online here.

wow, my conversion looks like it was done by the same person that did your first example there. same wire color and hot glue technique and everything.

what Psikyo game uses the sub board?
None that I’m aware of, those sub boards were fabbed for the conversions. I guess as an extension for the flash spaces. They were probably the early attempts at the conversions .

I would be all over a Daraku Tenshi conversion. That one's just obscenely priced.

Does anyone have one of those conversion PCBs with the daughter-board? if so I'd like to buy or trade it for my single board conversion PCB.

Last edited:
I do and might be willing to let it go, but full disclosure it doesn’t work and is missing the sound flash. I was planning on keeping it to part out and repair some other sh2 boards I have.

have the roms of any of these bootlegs been dumped? I don't see any "bl" versions in MAME, but I suppose it's possible they use the same roms as the real versions.

I picked up a legit 1945 II so I'd like to see if it's possible to convert my bootleg to Dragon Blaze. They normally use the PS5 board but the Dragon Blaze Bootleg appears to be on the PS3V1; same as my 1945 II bootleg. http://psikyobabble.com/index.php/2016/01/11/psikyo-pcb-conversions/

Last edited:
Would a Psikyo SH2 multi be out of the question? I think worst would be accessing the SMD sound ROM (if signals don't go to top headers, perhaps a custom flex PCB could be used to bring those signals to the multi PCB).

Guru did some experimenting with this a while back (scroll to "4th August 2015") http://members.iinet.net.au/~lantra9jp1_nbn/gurudumps/oldnews2015.html

As far as SH2 PCB revs, here's what I was able to sort out via some image surfing:

PS3-V1 (top headers):
Daraku Tenshi : The Fallen Angels
Space Bomber
Strikers 1945 II
Sol Divide

PS4 (wide PCB, top headers):
Lode Runner : The Dig Fight
Quiz de Idol! Hot Debut
Taisen Hot Gimmick
Taisen Hot Gimmick Kairakuten
Taisen Hot Gimmick 3 Digital Surfing
Taisen Hot Gimmick 4 Ever
Taisen Hot Gimmick Integral

PS5 (top headers):
Gunbird 2
Strikers 1945 III / Strikers 1999

PS5V2 (no top headers):
GunBarich
Dragon Blaze
Mahjong G-Taste
Tetris The Absolute : The Grand Master 2
Tetris The Absolute : The Grand Master 2 Plus

-ud

Last edited:
Would a Psikyo SH2 multi be out of the question? ...
I like this line of thinking :D

looking at the other bootlegs it seems some PCB variants can support a sub board. and you're right, the sound ROMs will likely be a real bitch.

There wouldn't be a good way to accomplish a multi without a lot of soldering. Given all the lifted trace posts I've seen just for the CPS2 multi key harness install I'm frightened at people trying to install such a kit themselves in order to save a few bucks having someone else install it for them.

I would love to have such a kit, there are a lot of great shmups on this hardware.

Would a Psikyo SH2 multi be out of the question? ...
I like this line of thinking :D
looking at the other bootlegs it seems some PCB variants can support a sub board. and you're right, the sound ROMs will likely be a real bitch.

There wouldn't be a good way to accomplish a multi without a lot of soldering. Given all the lifted trace posts I've seen just for the CPS2 multi key harness install I'm frightened at people trying to install such a kit themselves in order to save a few bucks having someone else install it for them.

I would love to have such a kit, there are a lot of great shmups on this hardware.
All but PCB "PS5V2" support a sub-board. I agree that this would likely be a service some skilled folks could offer, rather than something most people could do, themselves.

Yeah, that roster is pretty strong (minus the mahjong, lol):

Daraku Tenshi : The Fallen Angels
Space Bomber
Strikers 1945 II
Strikers 1945 III / Strikers 1999
Sol Divide
Lode Runner : The Dig Fight
Gunbird 2
GunBarich
Dragon Blaze
Tetris The Absolute : The Grand Master 2
Tetris The Absolute : The Grand Master 2 Plus

That's at least $3k worth of games.

-ud

I'd be all in on one. I've only got 2 working SH2 boards and 2-3 dead ones. Would very much like to have all of the games listed above!

Any news about converting PS3-V1 games ?
I have an original board with glitches and I would like to repair or convert it ^^

I've been looking into this a bit more lately. it seems that Psikyo themselves did a lot of factory conversions.

I've found examples of Fallen Angels that were converted to Space Bomber by Psikyo. and AFAIK every Gunbarch and G-Taste originally started as a Dragon Blaze.

From what I've been reading there is some security data on the EEPROM and that's what needs to be reflashed to make the conversion work.

though, my bootleg 1945II has quite a few additional patch wires that I haven't figured out yet what they're for. and the ROM mapping is quite different than the original board too.

It also seems that all of the ROMS are routed to the large un populated headers along the top of the PCB. I actually ordered some connectors to build a sub-PCB and experiment with since that will be easier than surface mount work.

I haven't done much past that though.

------------
if your board has graphics glitches though I think you'll first want to determine if that's an issues with the ROMs or something else.

How can I sort that out ?
I started a help thread and get no help :(

Back