What's new

Logan McCloud

Student
Reaction score
Hello guys.

Since Gaelco games use quite similar hardware to SEGA Naomi. do you think if is feasible to convert some of their PowerVR 3D games to Naomi?

Best regards.

Similar?? Don't think so. One or two games may be SH4 based which is something but not enough.

I'd rather port Hikaru games to Naomi if I had the time.....or port Taito ZN-1 and ZN-2 games to GNET....

Similar?? Don't think so. One or two games may be SH4 based which is something but not enough.

I'd rather port Hikaru games to Naomi if I had the time.....or port Taito ZN-1 and ZN-2 games to GNET....
Hell yes....

Taito ZN-1 and ZN-2 games to G-NET....

...I'd rather port Hikaru games to Naomi if I had the time.....
Hikaru!!! yes please! I would love if that happened. That hardware is difficult to source and most of the games are even harder to find. If I could play VO Force and Planet Harriers on NAOMI or even NAOMI2 that would be awesome. Heck even having Pod Racer or Sega NASCAR available would be beneficial for people with NAOMI driving cabs.

Especially considering there isn't even an emulator that supports this hardware yet and most of the games never got console ports the only way to play these games is on original hardware.

isnt hikaru completely different than naomi and a lot more powerful?

Last edited:
Yeah pretty much. It's a ton more powerful than Naomi 1 and still more so than Naomi 2. There is nothing in the N2 that can touch the custom gfx processor in Hikaru.

I doubt it is possible. Darksoft has serious doubts as well. Do not hold your breath that it is even attempted.

"I'd rather port Hikaru games to Naomi if I had the time....." did anyone ever make progress on this effort?

I was reading that there were several Katana based systems similar to Naomi / Dreamcast

http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2016/01/guest-article-expanding-dreamcast.html

"There are seven systems in this family:

• Naomi (1998)
  • Dreamcast (1998)
  • Hikaru (1999)
  • Naomi 2 (2001)
  • Sega System SP (2003)
  • Atomiswave (2003)
  • Aurora(2005)"
Also I love how Katana systems keep showing up on eBay! That would be a great score.

I'm now seeing some extra detail in a second article that may touch on some hurdles

"The specs of the Hikaru differ from the Naomi in that it utilises a custom Sega GPU and doubles-up on many components; 2 x Hitachi SH-4 CPUs and double the amount of RAM and VRAM. Furthermore, Hikari units are standalone systems not designed for games to be easily interchangeable like the carts seen on the Naomi. Each unit comes with a ROM board containing a specific game fixed in-place inside a heavy duty metal case, much like the House of the Dead 2 board and the predecessors to the Naomi, the Sega Model 2 and 3."
http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2016/02/expanding-dreamcast-collection-part-2.html

The doubled up components remind me of the approach to Naomi 2.

Last edited:
Back