What's new

rewrite

Multi Boyz Litigator
Immortal
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Behavior:
Nothing happens at all. No Naomi jingle, no video.

What I know:

One fan is dead, but I hooked it up to my Naomi 1's fan - this made no difference.
Green and red LED's come on on the motherboard and stay lit. This is consistent with my working Naomi 1.
Voltages are spot on: 12.00v, 5.10v, 3.30v
My setup works flawlessly with a Netbooting Naomi 1.
No caps seem to be even a little bulgey or leaking.
Filterboard dips are correct.

What I'm not sure of:
What the motherboard jumpers should look like.

if you have time to spend (and money too), start by changing main ram (by pair) and continue to make it boot

but if one fan was dead,i "might" be possible that this gpu is dead too.
on naomi 2,using 1 gpu can be possible,but it react like an naomi1 and one gpu is the main one,if its dead,there is no way to ressurect it

good luck!

ps: be cool while desoldering/resoldering.naomi2 got thin and weak lines

Alright.

I changed the capacitor at c29.

I borrowed a fan off of my Naomi 1 (it doesn't mount, but we're only testing here anyway).

No love.

Will buy the RAM and give it a go. I fear beyond that my chances of fixing it are pretty unlikely. I only really need a Naomi 1, so if it'll manage to run on just one GPU I'd be pretty happy.

Which one is the one that can die, and which is the irreplaceable one, @TylerDurden67 ?

your Naomi can boot without c29 too

You know,an Naomi 1 is like 30/40€ max.
Each RAM cost 5/7€ pcs ,need to be changed by two

I cant remember exactly but the main one is the less number IC.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

your Naomi can boot without c29 too

You know,an Naomi 1 is like 30/40€ max.
Each RAM cost 5/7€ pcs ,need to be changed by two

I cant remember exactly but the main one is the less number IC.

Good luck! :thumbsup:
Sounds like I'll back burner it. Or sell it to someone who actually needs a 2. Didn't realize the RAM would be so pricey.

There didn't seem to be any corrosion or anything but I'll actually check the BIOS lines before putting it away just in case. I hadn't noticed that part of your mini guide until now.

you know, its almost 20 years old hardware on naomi. Ram are pc like, and finally died like all others things.

It can be repaired, but its expansive, like i told you somes posts before, except if you are the luckiest man of this world and change exactly whats wrong : -) but ifyou are thatguy, better play lottery than repair it :D

I have a bunch of dead Naomi 2s. I have four that run in slow motion with checkerboard graphics. I'm running a RAM test on one right now, however, for the past two hours it's been stuck IC09. Surely it's not that slow?

Last edited:
You're right
Slow motion and checkboard is ram issue.
Just verify that ic09 ils displayed.99% of thé time, it stuck at thé next IC(so 09 OK but next one bad)
Its better to change it by pair(check thé IC near the bad's one)
And both must be same brand and model!

I bought it mainly on alibaba. Almost 5/7$ each.

What happens when you mix brands and models?
Black screen?

yes,doesnt works.
You can have différents brand on the motherboard,but dont mix the pairs.
Its better to reinstall rams like it was by factory. But equivalents works too

hi, unfortunately my naomi 2 stopped working since i last used it a few weeks ago.

on the first start i get the naomi 2 logo and an error 01, when i directly turn it off and n again the screen stays black. fans are working, at least they are making some noise...

I use an atx psu with an adapter.

Has anybody any ideas?

Are you using a Netdimm or a regular ol' Cartridge? If you are using Carts, you could always power everything through the Capcom IO.

I experienced those 'hiccups' as well, back when I used ATX PSUs to power my Netdimm Naomis. I never could get to the bottom of why it wouldn't work, but I have since switched to a SUN PSU and never had any kind power issue again.

so far i only have a netdimm which i use with a raspberry pi - i didn't want to use a step down converter because that would mean another box lying around - but i guess sooner or later there's no getting around a sun psu...

I get what you mean, but IMHO having another box lying around is a small price to pay for peace of mind. Plus the SUN PSU can power a whole range of machines, Chihiro, Triforce, System 2X6 what have you.

i'm buying one atm... stupid question, how is it connected to the step down converter, so i need again a special adapter?

or you could get in touch with Mitsu, as he's selling beautiful ready made cables for the SUN PSU.
that was pretty much what i wanted to read :D - thanks - i really hope the sun psu fixes my problem.

ok, got the sun psu, but still waiting for the power cable that i ordered from @Mitsurugi-w - should i recap the sun before i even try it or do you guys think that's not necessary?

together with the psu i also bought a virtua tennis cart to test, since i only had the netdimm until now.

unfortunately my problem still remains - naomi 2 boot screen animation, after that the screen remains black - if i press the service menu button during the boot animation i can enter the menu but that seems to freeze after some time. at least it seems to recognize the virtua tennis cart...

any ideas what i could try before i got my sun psu parts together?

If you cannot find the ram easily, Naomi ram can be replaced with ram from a sega dreamcast. Its very fine pitch soldering but it works as long as the dreamcast was working beforehand. Ive done it on a couple of systems that suffered from character graphic corruption and it works like a charm.

Back