What's new

Joko3

Enlightened
Reaction score
As to not clog RGB's main thread, please submit ideas for a HAS metal case here.

I'd like to do something to give back to the community here, and I feel this is something I'm capable of helping out with. I grew up with a dad who builds boutique audio gear and furniture, an example of some his latest work is in the pictures below. I've watched and helped him do countless projects, and am pretty familiar with the drafting process; however, my skills are not as refined as his so I asked him for his help. If I get enough input from what exactly needs to be built, he is more than willing to help me draw something up when he visits in late May. After the drawing is complete, it will available for anyone to use. My old man will most likely want to make a prototype out of boredom, but I won't be making any for sale which is why the plans will be distributed for anybody to use.
(I MIGHT be able to do a small run of these, but no promises. I'm seriously a prisoner to my home office; my degree plan is rather intense)

The idea is build a metal case that houses the HAS, it's power supply, and an OSSC.

What I need:

1. For anyone interested to argue amongst yourselves on what is needed and not needed

2. After arguing, a parts list

3. Kind souls to let me borrow these parts to make the plans. The old man is very anal about getting precise measurements on everything, so I'll need what's going inside physically on my desk. I would need possession in the last week of May, everything will be shipped back after the visit.

Here's an example of my dad's work, this is one of his current mono block amplifiers:

Attachments

• DSCN0398.jpg
    DSCN0398.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 190
  • DSCN0401.jpg
    DSCN0401.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCN0648.jpg
    DSCN0648.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 208
  • DSCN0847.jpg
    DSCN0847.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
I didn't chime in on the other thread but I'd love to meet the @RGB + @JasenHicks love-child. I understand Jasen has his own guns built with the best stuff he can find, but I dig RGB's custom pcb more than the components Jasen can find 'off the shelf. (Also plz include switches for the HAS jumper options.)

Those audio cases look awesome!

I think it would be better to build an disassembled supergun which can then be fit into a case and wired up. E.g. retain the PCB but don't solder on things like the Jamma connector, controller/video/power ports etc. These can be replaced with panel mount equivalents and wired to the PCB.

An easy to open case to be accessible and also would love for the OSSC to be easily removable from the case.

So maybe like a little area where the OSSC can slide in, something like a N64/Dreamcast rumble pack that can go in and out easily when needed. I dont have an OSSC to check so dont know if this is possible or not.

As small as a PSU as possible in the case only needing a standard power plug cable to the back.

I was thinking about possibly doing a swing open top on hinges. This would allow easy access to everything for troubleshooting. As this will be a DIY assembly, that could seriously come in handy. Thoughts?

I think the case should be able to fit the standard Suzo Happ power supplies that RGB recommended. Also, I would love a way to pair the saturn adapters easily or in a seamless manner as well as kick harnesses.

While I love the idea of incorporating the OSSC but the case should also let you easily pair with framemeister or just do s-video out with the modules.

Obviously, nice buttons/leds and safe and sturdy...my HAS currently isn't running on my desk because my little one loves grabbing at the wires.

Start with your Dads white metal enclosure. Remove plexi and mount the HAS on the inside base.
Mount OSSC on the inside top. Cutouts galore for all necessary ports.
HAS DIN8 to VGA in on OSSC. Jamma extender from HAS running out the back.
RGB in port on the side to connect other inputs.. to OSSC. Profit?

Capture2.JPG

@RGB what are the dimensions of the HAS? If someone could give me the dimensions of the OSSC as well that would be helpful. Just trying to get a basic idea in my head. I believe they can go one behind the other and don’t need to be stacked. The power supply takes up a ton of real estate so there should be enough room next to it for both without stacking.

I'll give you the details tomorrow, no access to Eagle right now.

You’ll want to see the display on the OSSC though, right? And ir for the remote..

You’ll want to see the display on the OSSC though, right? And ir for the remote..
I foresee the remote being a problem. To have the OSSC exposed enough to receive the signal somewhat defeats the purpose of the case in the first place, but I can try : )

Right now I don’t own a OSSC so I need all the help I can in that area for advice. I used an XRGB for a couple years then went back to CRTs. I'm looking forward to trying one out.

Last edited:
Do you want to incorporate the OSSC just for Jamma inputs or also for Consoles?

A friend of mine came up with just the same idea a couple of days ago. lol

As my OSSC has been dispatched just a few days ago, I'll keep an eye on this thread. :D
Be glad to help you with ossc measures if still needed. :D

Do you want to incorporate the OSSC just for Jamma inputs or also for Consoles?

A friend of mine came up with just the same idea a couple of days ago. lol

As my OSSC has been dispatched just a few days ago, I'll keep an eye on this thread. :D
Be glad to help you with ossc measures if still needed. :D
I’m thinking that the design should just be for the OSSC to be used for the supergun. A swing open top on the case would allow you to access to the OSSC to switch to console use. Perhaps some kind of switching system could be implemented later down the road, but for now I think the goal is a dedicated one box setup that allows JAMMA arcade machines to be played on an HDTV. I want to keep things as simple as possible for an easy buildout that even someone brand new to the hobby can figure out. I’m relatively new to it myself (got my first MVS in 2014) so I’m thinking about people like me a few years ago.

Of course if there is indeed an easy way to implement easy switching it will be used : )

Last edited:
Anyone know what power supply the MK30 ADCAP uses? I know it’s a Suzo but that’s it. I’ve never opened mine as to not void Jasen’s warranty. It’s worked great on my CPS1,2,3, MVS, NAOMI 2, and Rival Schools PCB.

Side note: I couldn’t get sound from the Rival Schools board, but it worked fine in Mitsu’s cab (I gave him the board as a thank you for setting up my CPS2 and 3). Perhaps this was the same issue @SNK-NEO-GEO reported with Cave boards?

Just want to let everyone know this hasn’t been forgotten about. My dad’s health hasn’t been the greatest this year and his kitchen project has him swamped. On the plus side though, the metal working friend I had mentioned has been super busy on eBay. By the end of the year he should either own or have access to everything that is needed to make these units in decent quantities. I also just got my own OSSC and will probably be ordering a HAS in the near future as well. Moving to Japan is getting closer and closer, so I want to adapt my setup for an LED display sooner than later. More than one display for the whole apartment is almost out of the question over there. The average apartment in my price range will be 1/4 the size of my condo here lol.

Some space may have opened up for my dad to help out with this idea. He's been in and out of the hospital so his kitchen project is delayed. He's crazy and won't be able to go one month without working on something. Please keep feeding me some ideas. Right now I think the biggest challenge is how to properly incorporate the OSSC to where you can still see the display and the remote works. I finally have an OSSC and have noticed that the remote needs to be pointed directly at it for it to work. This could be a huge pain in the ass if enclosed in a metal case. Thoughts?

Hmm, maybe just move the OSSC remote sensor if it makes that big of a difference.

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, so this project is canceled for now. Between my old man's medical problems, preparing to go to school in Japan, getting ready for my wedding, selling my house, and my metal worker friends legal problems...it just isn't going to happen anytime soon realistically.

Back