What's new

djdevant

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a capcom cps3 with 3rd strike working. I am wanting to make a somewhat portable supergun setup to bring to tournaments and I just had a few questions before I take the plunge and buy all the parts.

I build synthesisers so I'm pretty good with electronics and soldering but I don't know too much about arcade hardware.

My plan so far is to get a Windy Gaming ATP-300 supergun and a pair of the undamned usb to db25 encoders (including the necessary windy gaming undamned thingies that lets you use the encoders on an atp-300) so people with a usb arcade stick can use their own on the setup.

The windy seems pretty good because its all in one, will I need the scart cable or anything else? I plan on hooking it up to a crt with rca cables if possible.

My cps3 is also a bit of a weird one because it doesn't need a cd to play the game. The person I bought it off said they owned a number of cps3's back in the day and the no cd ones were much more reliable. I didn't know it was possible to have a cps3 with no cd unless it was modded but this seems to be stock.

I'm also a bit worried that the version of 3rd strike on it will be the B version and I'll need to put the A version on for tournaments, how will I be able to do this without a CD? Also would I be able to get the Darksoft bios I keep hearing about with a no cd version?

How can I tell where the cps3 was manufactured? I know there's a usa, japanese and asian version. I'll attach some photos below if that helps.

Finally, whereabouts could I get an enclosure either for everything or at least the cps3. Any diy ones anybody has made? I just have the board without the metal casing I've seen some cps3's have.

Thank you so much for the help!

Can't answer all of your questions, but some ;)

As for the case I know Jasen Hicks does them in limited runs, but I also had a guy in the Netherlands make me one;
https://www.highflow.nl/behuizingen/cps3-acrylic-case.html

No CD version are original, but don't know how to change the games on those, only had CD version myself.
On startup you see a screen with the program number and region, this can tell you if it is version A or B;
Street Fighter 3.3 (990512) -> version A
Street Fighter 3.3 (990608) -> version B

That enclosure looks awesome thank you!

Anything else I should grab off that site while I get the case?

Shipping to Australia will probably be a lot :(

Welcome :)

To answer some of your questions:

NoCD versions are original, but to load a new game you need to install it using a cart with the standard CD BIOS installed and it has to match what your cart is expecting.

You can however install the Darksoft BIOS onto your cart and use the CD to load the other version.

There's also a NoCD version of the Darksoft BIOS which involves loading the game into the SIMMS with a CD board, then using the NoCD cart to run it once installed (so you will need 2 carts)

Most superguns output RGB via a SCART connector. You can use a scan converter or a RGB to YUV device to achieve a component signal if that's what you're trying to do, composite video is more tricky but some superguns offer it specifically. Keep in mind video conversion introduces lag, which is why devices like the OSSC (Open Source Scan Converter) are super popular.

It's a pain in the ass being in Australia where European PAL video is standard but RGB SCART connectors never were.

All CPS3 as far as I'm aware were manufactured in Japan, but there are several regions: USA, Europe, Japan, Brazil and Oceania - you can tell what it is by looking at the back of the cart on the sticker - it says for use in x only. My 2 are both Asia but modified with Darksoft's BIOS (both were suicided when I got them)

There's also a NoCD version of the Darksoft BIOS which involves loading the game into the SIMMS with a CD board, then using the NoCD cart to run it once installed (so you will need 2 carts)
The NoCD version of the SuperBIOS is not really NoCD. It still checks for the CD. Not worth using for now. Maybe a new version will be released later.

BTW you can also tell which region the game is by booting it and looking a the color of the date/revision screen that pops up first when you boot:

White = Japan
Red = USA
Yellow = Asia

Thank you guys!

So I will be buying that clear enclosure to hold the cps3 then get the windy to plug in and play it.

I'm hoping I have the right version of 3rd strike but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it...

The windy seems like it comes with a bunch of output cables including a composite cable so I can just plug that in to my telly?
It's a pain in the ass being in Australia where European PAL video is standard but RGB SCART connectors never were.
So don't bother getting a scart cable with the windy?

The NoCD version of the SuperBIOS is not really NoCD. It still checks for the CD. Not worth using for now. Maybe a new version will be released later.
BTW you can also tell which region the game is by booting it and looking a the color of the date/revision screen that pops up first when you boot:

White = Japan
Red = USA
Yellow = Asia
I have made a few no CD superbios. It is just a hex edit. You will need a normal superbios and a drive to change games. I have not extensive tested it, personally. The few I have sold to the FGC crew back east have been running without issuer

Last edited:
Thank you guys!

So I will be buying that clear enclosure to hold the cps3 then get the windy to plug in and play it.

I'm hoping I have the right version of 3rd strike but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it...

The windy seems like it comes with a bunch of output cables including a composite cable so I can just plug that in to my telly?
So don't bother getting a scart cable with the windy?
If your TV has a SCART plug, absolutely, a lot of people look out for European TVs with the SCART port for this purpose. If you don't, you can get a RGB SCART to composite converter or a scan converter - which will also need the SCART cable :)

Either way if the windy outputs nothing but straight RGB (likely) you will need to connect it up to a SCART capable TV, or a PVM through the BNC inputs, or connect it through a device that can give you whatever connector you require.

As for the case I know Jasen Hicks does them in limited runs, but I also had a guy in the Netherlands make me one;
https://www.highflow.nl/behuizingen/cps3-acrylic-case.html
How big is this case and/or the CPS3 itself?

I aim to purchase one soon and was thinking about creating a nice CPS3 + Supergun stack, like so

1AA4E9M.jpg

Please forgive my terrible painting skill, heh.

Nice skills ;)

The case is basically the size of the pcb itself + almost the height of the cart (the cart sticks out a bit)

Sorry mate, sold my setup some time ago.
I’m sure other folks here have a similar case.
@Derick2k or @jassin000 maybe?
hahaha, I bought one and never installed it. Just didnt like the cutout for the cart. I felt the the plexi needed to be a bit larger than the footprint of the pcb and it should have gone over the security cart.

J probably has his on hand.

Sorry mate, sold my setup some time ago.
I’m sure other folks here have a similar case.
@Derick2k or @jassin000 maybe?
hahaha, I bought one and never installed it. Just didnt like the cutout for the cart. I felt the the plexi needed to be a bit larger than the footprint of the pcb and it should have gone over the security cart.
J probably has his on hand.
How big is the PCB itself?

This?
QFvrXhD.jpg

I've got a busy weekend coming up, but I'll try to remember to get some dimz on it tomorrow.

There's a few plastics places around here, I'd like to get the dimensions as well please. Hopefully I can get something put together. Would be nice to have a case on it

I have made a few no CD superbios. It is just a hex edit. You will need a normal superbios and a drive to change games. I have not extensive tested it, personally. The few I have sold to the FGC crew back east have been running without issuer
Alright, color me interested. I run a regular 3S setup. I wouldn't mind leaving the drive out of it. Can you give details on what needs to be edited?

With the custom sh bios file. At location 1FECC change BD to BC. This only work on the superbios. I have yet to test this on a live cart

Reactions: nem
Ended up getting that sexy cps3 acrylic enclosure

Going to house the cps3 into that and then plug the windy into there which can sit on the side.

Spoke to the windy dude and he said "Standard outputs it comes with is composite and s-vid.... And not so toot my horn or anything- my s-vid is goooooood"

I can definitely do composite and although its difficult to find a crt down here with scart I've noticed it's quite easy to find one with s-video so I'm all sorted!

Thank you all so much! :)

Back