What's new

DenTarr

Student
Reaction score
I'm lurking around here for some time now so I guess doing a little introduction would be the polite thing to do. :/

My passion for arcade machines actually started with my interest in (now classical) gaming consoles. With most of my interest focused on the module copiers and flashcarts developed for them.

SNES with Super Wildcards, N64 with doctor v64 or Super UFO. Down to Vectrex with VecFlash or Atari 2600 with Harmony. Obscure stuff like Nintendo Virtual Boy with Flashboy still make my eyes glow :D

Over the years I stumbled over Krikzz stuff and of course I also came to the NeoGeo AES. Thats a legendary system after all. And sadly no good flash cart.
From there I came to the MVS with the 1xx in 1 and took an interest in all the module based arcade systems. I stumbled over Netbooting for the Naomi. And was so fascinated by that system that I got a Naomi Universal Cabinet. Got that running with a Naomi 2 and Netboot. Thats still my preciouzzz! Love that system.

Well, I always kept looking for NeoGeo solutions and stumbled over NeoSD and MVS Multi. I remebered Darksoft from when he announced the STV cart, which I intended to buy back then but didn't (for no reason I can remember).
Anyway, I decided to get me the NeoSD for the AES and the Multi for the MVS. And since it was the right time the STV was available again (which triggered my memory) and the CPS2 system was available too (which looked too interesting to pass). So I thought to myself "Hell, why not".

So now I am the happy owner of STV, CPS2 and MVS solutions from Darksoft.

To finish up a little "positioning" of myself. I know arcade and retro gaming is full of holy wars with extremists preaching the "only true way". I try to be open minded but I have to count myself in the purist faction. You know.. its only truly arcade if it runs like it was intended. Unpatched, unhacked, unmodified like you experienced it back in the arcades. I would send everybody who wants bells and whistles an in game menus and save states to Mame.

Well... more than enough about me. Happy gaming! :thumbsup:

Welcome!

I'm also a purist, but I'm pretty much sure that most what I played at the arcades back in the 80's - 90's were modified hacked bootlegs... :)

@DenTarr Welcome!
I'm also a purist, but I'm pretty much sure that most what I played at the arcades back in the 80's - 90's were modified hacked bootlegs...
What? You mean these warnings didnt stop operators/bootleggers?! :D
fbi warning.jpg

Welcome!

I'm also a purist, but I'm pretty much sure that most what I played at the arcades back in the 80's - 90's were modified hacked bootlegs... :)
Thats very true. Back then nobody cared about bootlegs and most of the Arcades probably used at least some of them.

But... if I am bothering with playing on original hardware I really want to play the real original unmodified games. Otherwise whats the point? Why go to all that length? You could just as well run some Retropie or whatever which gives you HDMI output with surround sound and all the menus and cheats you could dream of.

Hi :

Well hello and welcome. This sounds like a discussion between light and dark beer.

Or taking it further original cabinet vs custom. I’m all for a perfect world, however some originals are never original when they arrive. Which is a pity. When we pay for originals.
In some cases, ha ha cases! I agree original is the best.
What are the general thoughts on original pcb but generic cabinet in an arcade environment, where cost is far exceeded by display or retro value/use in a commercial arcade?

Regards
Euphoria

Attachments

• 35EF6231-9D3E-44C9-9058-391CF945CF81.png
    35EF6231-9D3E-44C9-9058-391CF945CF81.png
    75.5 KB · Views: 136
What are the general thoughts on original pcb but generic cabinet in an arcade environment, where cost is far exceeded by display or retro value/use in a commercial arcade?
Interesting point. I would say if the buttons/Joystick are of the same quality and layout as in the original and the CRT is of equal quality then who cares? The player gets the same game with the same enjoyment. If a game is hacked or modified the players basically do not get what they pay for.

But the borderline is somewhat fluid. I guess everybody draws their own line in the sand. And those lines tend to be fairly far apart :)

Back