What's new

Paranoid_Andy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*Final Update*
Well I got the system working finally, so that's great! However I don't really know what I did. It was just kind of messing around and attempting to discharge the caps a few times over while also making sure the board was positioned properly which it seemed like it was, but for some reason it finally showed the game and seems to be switching games fine now. Hopefully it will remain intact :P I wish I could provide more info for any others coming along but at the very least I can say that it maybe was my attempt to discharge the caps after about 15 or so times or just pressing the boards down again after a few times.

*Updated to current status*

Okay so I think everything is installed properly, however I keep getting a pinkish redish full screen effect when I start the system.

I tried to discharge the capacitors again but that doesn't seem to be helping. I'm using a piece of wire to attempt to short them out by contacting the cap legs together. The three leg cap is unusual to me. Do I just contact all 3 legs at once? That's what I've been doing.

I then turn the system on and it says on the LED readout "Now Playing XXXX Game" but still a pinkish screen.

I'm not sure, but is there a step by step process I should be doing to get it to load the games properly after attempting to discharge the caps?

Also, I did a slow format on a 32gb Samsung SD card then loaded the 'CPS2 Full Mame Rollup Pack Add-on' on it making sure the primary folder was 'games'.

Something that occurred to me. Am I supposed to update my firmware on this to use the Mame pack? I'm not even sure what version the firmware is or how to tell.

Last edited:
You shouldn't need to short the pins every time. If you keep your board with the multi always attached to the A-Board you may never need to short it again. Shorting only works if the game won't boot. It has nothing to do with fixing any errors other than that.

If you have lines then I would first check all of the connectors on the A and B boards for bent pins. Then try putting the B-board without the case on the A board.

Hello again Mitsurugi :D Thanks for the quick reply.

I took a bunch of photos to show my current setup. Hopefully this helps.

Before I read your reply, I had tried shorting them out a few more times and each time it was a pink screen, or a whole bunch of garbled graphics. I actually had the game board already out of the enclosure when i first started doing this.

I don't plan on removing or changing games after installing the CPS2 kit. It's for sure going to be permanent.

Am I wasting my time with messing with this stuff right now and should just wait and install the kit first?

Pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/2Ozll

*Edit*
I'm guessing I'm not shorting them out properly. I tried cutting a 3 inch piece of wire with the tips on each end cut off. Then laid it across CC1 and EXC5 for about 45 seconds each. When I was doing it, the board was by itself. I just set it on my plastic tabletop and did it.

You only need to touch the pins for a second. You shouldn't have to keep doing it. Just make sure you push both pcbs together very tightly. Bad contact can cause both of your issues. If you keep getting lines in the GFX then you might have a bad A or B board.

Well. I'm not sure what it was but I took a piece of wire and went through every single pin hole to make sure it was free of obstructions. Then pushed the board down pretty well although it felt the same as the other times. Fired it up and the game showed up immediately :D

Thanks Mitsurugi :D

Once the kit arrives today I'm going to go ahead and start to follow the videos and guides and see if I can get this thing going.

Thank you again. Really appreciate it.

So I installed everything, but I seem to be having maybe a key writing issue or something? I put the details in the original post up top.

Any ideas?

*Edit*
I just realized updating my main post instead of just adding on here might make things a little confusing for somebody new coming into the thread. I won't do that again :P I was just trying to be efficient.

Last edited:
Have you installed the four key writing wires? If not then that is your problem.

I have not because I wasn't sure what firmware I'm on and if I needed to update or not. So I ended up going with the Avalaunch pack.

I don't know if the newer boards ship with the most recent firmware or how to check it. Maybe I missed a tutorial explaining this?

If you just bought it then it has the keywriting fw installed already. Avalaunch pack should still work though. May be time to post some pictures.

Sure. Here is what I have so far.

https://imgur.com/a/O3kIo

Is it advised that I go ahead and install the 4 wires? Is there something critical I would be missing out on?

Also, both tutorials I have available say nothing about these 4 wires. Could you point me to that if you think I should go for it?

Thanks man.

Back