What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
So I've seen a few "Super Discs" for System 573 that allow you to install/swap multiple DDR games from a single DVD-R without the need for a Security Cart.

I haven't seen much info posted publicly about these but here's a video of someone installing one of these discs on a Dance Maniax Machine:

I'm curious if discs exist or could be made to play any of the various 3-button party games:
Anime Champ
Gachaga Champ
Hyper Bishi Bashi
Hyper Bishi Bashi Champ
Salary Man Champ
Step Champ

I have a few System 573 boards and I have this wild idea in my head of running Hyper Bishi Bashi Champ in my DDR cab; I think that would be a riot. Just running any of the Bishi Bashi games in general would be nice to be able to do.

It might be cool to have discs patched without the cart for some of the other games too like

Konami 80's Arcade Gallery
Dark Horse Legend
Dark Horse Legend 2
Handle Champ
etc.

Anyone know anything about patching the Discs to run cart-less?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure there isn't a normal Hyper Bishi Bashi (sans Champ).

Anyway, I would love to see this.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a normal Hyper Bishi Bashi (sans Champ).
System16 strikes again :rolleyes:

Looking at MAME source these are the discs available for NON-Rhythm Games:

Joystick/Buttons:
Dark Horse Legend (GX706 VER. JAA)
Dark Horse Legend 2 (UNDUMPED)
Konami 80's AC Special (GC826 VER. EAA)
Konami 80's AC Special (GC826 VER. UAA)
Konami 80's Gallery (GC826 VER. JAA)
Konami 80's AC Special (GC826 VER. AAA)
Konami 80's AC Special (GC826 VER. KAA)

3-Button Mini-Games:
Anime Champ (UNDUMPED)
Hyper Bishi Bashi Champ (GQ876 VER. EAA)
Hyper Bishi Bashi Champ (GQ876 VER. AAA)
Hyper Bishi Bashi Champ (GE876 VER. KAA)
Hyper Bishi Bashi Champ - 2 Player (GX908 1999/08/24 VER. JAA)
Hyper Bishi Bashi Champ - 2 Player (GX908 1999/08/24 VER. KAA)
Salary Man Champ (GCA18 VER. JAA)

4-button Mini-Games:
Step Champ (GQ930 VER. JA)

Twin 8-way Stick Mini-Games
Gachaga Champ (GE877 VER. JAB)

Steering Mini-Games:
Steering Champ (GQ710 VER. UAA)
Handle Champ (GQ710 VER. JAB)

Baseball:
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu EX (GX802 VER. JAB)

Punching:
Fighting Mania (QG918 VER. EAA)
Fighting Mania (QG918 VER. AAA)
Punch Mania: Hokuto No Ken (GQ918 VER. JAB)
Punch Mania: Hokuto No Ken (GQ918 VER. JAB ALT CD)
Fighting Mania (QG918 VER. KAA)
Fighting Mania (QG918 VER. UAA)
Punch Mania 2: Hokuto No Ken (GQA09 JAA)

Fishing:
Fisherman's Bait - A Bass Challenge (GE765 VER. UAB)
Bass Angler (GE765 VER. JAA)
Fisherman's Bait 2 - A Bass Challenge (GE865 VER. UAB)
Bass Angler 2 (GE865 VER. JAA)
Fisherman's Bait - Marlin Challenge (GX889 VER. EA)
Fisherman's Bait - Marlin Challenge (GX889 VER. UA)
Fisherman's Bait - Marlin Challenge (GX889 VER. JA)
Fisherman's Bait - Marlin Challenge (GX889 VER. AA)

Other:
GunMania (GL906 VER. JAA)
Gun Mania Zone Plus (UNDUMPED)
Kick & Kick (UNDUMPED

Last edited:
Reactions: nem
i knew about those discs, especially for ddr games, i made them while ago. then i abandoned them once i knew how to reprogram the cart.

logical wise, it is possible to make that kind of patch for 3 button games to ddr, but afaik, it would be a problem. the 3 button games have steps on the floor, so how those buttons will be mapped into ddr stage?

i never in need to repair those 3 button games, i don't know, but ddr games prone to cart error than these games.

i made them while ago
Very cool, Thanks for making those. I was poking around sows trying to figure out who made them.

Any chance you'd be willing to share information on how to patch the discs to run cartless or reprogram the carts?

the 3 button games have steps on the floor, so how those buttons will be mapped into ddr stage?
Bishi Bashi at least, just has 3 buttons plus start. I would remap the the dance pad to these buttons with maybe a custom JAMMA adapter.

I wouldn't expect anyone to patch the game code to make this work, though that would be need too.

Word of warning: You need to be careful with the Mame dumps when using those for conversions of Analog 573 games (DDR 1st-2nd Mix, Fisherman's Bait/Bass Challenge, etc). The MAME dumps can and do cause sync issues with the audio when they're converted (something that was discovered when trying to convert 1st Mix). It's better to use a clean ISO or BIN/CUE dump than trying to un-convert the MAME dumps.

I realize that can be difficult as, well, some of those are extremely rare.

I have some of these 573 discs, so I'd be willing to provide new rips if you needed them.

Last edited:
Analog 573 games (DDR 1st-2nd Mix, Fisherman's Bait/Bass Challenge, etc)
Is Fisherman's bait an Analog game? The MAME source lists that, as well as all of the other non-rythm games (such as the various "-champ" games) as using a "plain" system 573 without the digital nor analog IO board.

i made them while ago
Very cool, Thanks for making those. I was poking around sows trying to figure out who made them.
Any chance you'd be willing to share information on how to patch the discs to run cartless or reprogram the carts?

the 3 button games have steps on the floor, so how those buttons will be mapped into ddr stage?
Bishi Bashi at least, just has 3 buttons plus start. I would remap the the dance pad to these buttons with maybe a custom JAMMA adapter.
I wouldn't expect anyone to patch the game code to make this work, though that would be need too.
uhm.. not saying that all of them are mine. i remember vaguely, before i made those patches, there are already some, i guess. but one thing i remember, those old patches have 2 discs for each game, one for install and one for playing. mine are not, they're running from one disc and you dipswitched them to switch from install mode to play mode, like in the video.

the patches are mainly nop-ing every possible error caused by the absence of cart. about reprogram the cart, i already posted them here.

uhm.. not saying that all of them are mine. i remember vaguely, before i made those patches, there are already some, i guess.
I've only seen 2 super Discs on SOWS one was for multiple DDR games and required an upgrade to a DVD drive, and the other was for Dance Maniax as shown in the video. If there are others I haven't seen them. Did you post anywhere how the no-cart patches or multi game discs were made?

about reprogram the cart, i already posted them here.
Ah, I completely forgot about that thread. I've got some question but I'll continue that discussion there.

uhm.. not saying that all of them are mine. i remember vaguely, before i made those patches, there are already some, i guess.
I've only seen 2 super Discs on SOWS one was for multiple DDR games and required an upgrade to a DVD drive, and the other was for Dance Maniax as shown in the video. If there are others I haven't seen them. Did you post anywhere how the no-cart patches or multi game discs were made?
That multiple ddr games disc is not mine, never heard of. well, with that multiple, of course you don't need anything else.

i made patches for each games. but not for 3 button games. iirc.

Analog 573 games (DDR 1st-2nd Mix, Fisherman's Bait/Bass Challenge, etc)
Is Fisherman's bait an Analog game? The MAME source lists that, as well as all of the other non-rythm games (such as the various "-champ" games) as using a "plain" system 573 without the digital nor analog IO board.
It's been a while since I cracked open my DDR Analog 573/Fisherman's Bait 573/DDR Digital 573s, but...
The DDR Analog and Fisherman's Bait units would run a 4-pin cable from the CD-Rom drive to a port behind the audio heatsink on the motherboard. The main difference between them is the sub-PCB to connect the pad lights or fishing rod.
The Digital 573 units instead have a 4-pin cable running from the Digital sub-board to that heatsink port.

So all the games listed here should be Analog-based, to my knowledge, but they don't necessarily use redbook audio tracks like DDR 1st-2nd did and work without a flash card: http://system16.com/hardware.php?id=582
Most of the games also use the small security cartridges that aren't tied to the system, so you can swap games. Even later games like Salary Man Champ that use the bigger DDR 3rd-Extreme cartridge style is swappable.

Attachments

• Dance Dance Revolution DDR Analog IO System 573 Arcade Machine Game Jamma PCB Printed Circuit ...JPG
    Dance Dance Revolution DDR Analog IO System 573 Arcade Machine Game Jamma PCB Printed Circuit ...JPG
    478.1 KB · Views: 651
Last edited:
I've been playing around with this and I noticed that Gachaga Champ, Handle/Steering Champ, and Step Champ do not have CHDs in MAME but they do have normal ROM files that they play from.

Do these games not have a disc or were they ripped from the flash chips after having been installed?

EDIT: found a picture of a Gachaga Champ PCB and it looks like it has no disc drive, so now I'm curious how the games are actually loaded on these.

ci-180325114036-960.jpg

double checking mame source for this game it lists the "CD Code" as "GE877-JA(PCMCIA card)" so now I'm thinking maybe this game is loaded by the PCMCIA card, which is clearly used in the photo. I would think that would still be stored as a CHD in MAME though.

Last edited:
@Dion

I've been playing around with the patched Hyper Bishi Bashi Champ disc that's on that other site.

It's the 2player Japanese version. I was wondering if you think it's feasible to swap the sprites with the European release so that the on-screen text is in English.

The European release isn't patched but it's also only available as the 3Player version and to be honest the English voice acting is terrible.

I think the 2P version with Japanese audio and English language sprites would be perfect.

Hey guys, I just bought a system 573. I have the security cart for fishermans bait but I am missing the disc. For Fishermans 2, I have both the cart and the key but its still giving me an error about the security cartridge not matching when I boot up.

Is there anything I can do or I need somehow to find an original disc and another fishermans 2 security key.

Would appreciate any advice, I am new with those systems. However I have all of darksoft products and if I could make these disc keyless, would be much easier.

thanks

Hey guys, I just bought a system 573. I have the security cart for fishermans bait but I am missing the disc. For Fishermans 2, I have both the cart and the key but its still giving me an error about the security cartridge not matching when I boot up.
try using the disc image for Fishermans 1 that's in MAME. you'll need to use chdman to extract the .chd file to a bin/cue and then burn that. Assuming your cart is good that should work.

as for fishermans 2, are you sure you're installing it properly? you don't just swap disc and cart when changing games, you need to "install" the game first. this is done by flipping dip switch #4 before you boot up, and then it will install the disc. once done it will usually tell you to flip the dip back and re start and then you can play the game. Most games follow this process and some games have separate installation and gameplay discs. and some other game have separate security carts for installation and gameplay.

I believe both fishermans 1 and 2 only have 1 cart and 1 disc each though.

Reactions: nem
The system also came with Fishermans bait Marlin fishing. I popped the cart in, booted with the disc. It says something about backup setting rebuild, to press test button. Did that, then rebooted and that one worked well.

For Fishermans bait 2, when booting it it passes the rom check ok, then it gives me the error that the cd doesnt match the security cartridge.

I wasnt unaware that I had to flick a dipswitch and install the game. So it does something similar to CPS3? It saves internally?

It says something about backup setting rebuild, to press test button.
sounds like your RTC battery is dead.

when booting it it passes the rom check ok
That's because it's verifying them against the CRC for Fishermans Bait Marlin Fishing since that was the last game installed, and they're probably correct for that

So it does something similar to CPS3? It saves internally?
yes.

with the FB2 disc and cart installed flip dip #4 on the front of the unit, then power on.

Last edited:
I just tried that, if #4 is on or off when booting, it still just shows the disc (game name text) on screen then the error about incorrect security cassette.
Perhaps it needs to pass those steps to proceed with the installation?

I just tried that, if #4 is on or off when booting, it still just shows the disc (game name text) on screen then the error about incorrect security cassette.
Try removing the security cassette and installing with just the disc and with Dip #4 ON.

Back