What's new

Hammy

Enlightened
Reaction score
JUDGE DREDD PROTO CONVERSION FOR NBA JAM & TE PCB's

------------------------------------------
About:

This works on nba jam and nba jam tournament edition boardsets.

The file has been tested to the limits and works with a few problems:

The rom will check 'BAD' this is expected :)
The best way to play this is to coin feed it to the end on your first try.

BECAUSE AFTER GAME OVER:
GAME WILL RESET / COUNT LEVEL WRONG SOMETIMES, just FACTORY RESTORE/RESET after every game.
Other than that it's a good :)

---------------------------------------------

Video / Action:

---------------------------------------------

INSTRUCTIONS:

Replace ALL NBA JAM (or t.e) gfx with roms from JUDGE DREDD MAME SET
USE THE UG & UJ 12 dredd files provided for code.
Jumper and PAL config do not adjust!

The dip switches MUST be set this way:
UJ1 - all off
UJ2 - 7 on, rest off
game will lock up sometimes if you don't ;)

The sound board to be used is also nba jam, just swap roms.

Player 1 & 2 button 4 is on the jamma loom (same as neo geo)
BUTTON 4 MUST BE HOOKED UP TO PLAY THE GAME
FOR MAME TESTING / DEBUGGING YOU WILL NEED TO EDIT THIS IN THE SOURCE.

-------------------------------------------------

End:

I've now moved on to other stuff, and played this game to the end too many times. so it's time to get it out instead of it rotting away on a drive.
I'm sure someone with a bit more skill than me can easily fix the last problems.

It's a PROTO anyway so full of other bugs. If you want to play the game on hardware now you can :)

-Hammy

Attachments

• dredd4nbajam.zip
    281.4 KB · Views: 501
Only 5 likes and so little replies. I love Midway hardware and this is a great hack. Thanks!

Yeah it's awesome. i just need to pull the HW from storage at some point.

This is totally awesome. I'm a Dredd fan. I have been reading IDW run this weekend.

My NBA JAM board however is kinda warped and works inconsistently. Anyway to fix that?

Awessssome!! I have a regular jam board I will try this on as soon as I get a chance. Probably need to buy some roms too, it needs a lot of em...

Like you mention I'd love to see the TE upgrade if anyone has done that work.

Only drawback to this is midway hardware always feels so fragile. Maybe I just own abused boards but I'm nervous about doing damage even while only swapping roms. Multi anyone??

Cheers!
It's not the best hack of the best game, but it's something to have a go with!
Looking forward to everybody's results with it :)

It should work on the mortal kombat 1&2 processors too with jumpers / gal replacement but i've not tested.

As long as UF5 is good, the boards should be repairable, fixed over a dozen of them at this point.
Bad sockets, dead lines, bad buffers, bad ram - all the usual stuff.

NBA tournament ED and mk1/2 are possible but a lot more work.

I've got an NBA Jam that doesn't give any video or anything, the light comes on, I need an excuse to look at it again so I think this is it and I will :P

Thanks very much for releasing your work!

AWESOME Dude.. going to have to order some roms and mash this one up.. I never played this.. not even in mame so it will be interesting.

Thanks to Hammy, I now have this game! (literally, this one, he sold it to me!).

Anyway, question time. Is this the same code for the game that Galloping Ghosts had 4 years ago? If so, they say have the dip switch for blood on crashes the game if you use a bomb on the first enemy.

So, after 4 years, has anyone messed with the code to fix this issue so we can play with the blood on? Also, Hammy, is your code for the game any different than Galloping Ghosts? Do we have any idea how they got it to work?

Thanks again!

https://www.facebook.com/GallopingG...time-its-judge-dredd-not-rel/919685901413804/

Good to hear you are having fun with it!

From what i can remember the bomb " crash " is a protection check.

Galloping ghost have their own patch i guess. anyways they missed this one ;)
The reason i did the hack was due to the dis - info galloping ghost was showing about this conversion.

My version misses the level order sometimes but i remember fixing the bomb check so it's swings apples and oranges.
I don't know if their version has the level order bug. A NVram clear fixes it should that happen. (normally after a few games)

@Hammy
I've been working on patches for Nba Jam and MK1 to use any ASIC.
Out of interest, what did you do to the Dredd code?

For reference, using the leaked sources most all games do the same thing
- Obfuscated jump to the code that uses the ASIC to do calculations (not a jump #sc)

Code:
This is checksummed!
seccall1
    move    a8,a1            ;0CHheck security
    addi    01df60H,a1
    getpc    a7
    addi    040H,a7
    move    a7,-*sp,L
    jump    a1            ;Rets: A0=0 if OK!
;seccall1end

- Actual code that does the calculations (#sc in most source code, util.asm for nba's)

The obfuscated jump is checksummed, so if you change anything there, it will cause bad behaviour by then calling things like "seccal_trash" which breaks the A0-A8 on purpose.
The code that does ASIC calculations can be skipped by a CLR A0 and a RETS in NBA, MK2, and MK1 on T-Unit. (bonus: this is faster than talking with the ASIC).

I started by putting the NBA tables into NBA TE but this obviously didn't work properly without a lot of modding in the actual calc code. But then i found this in util.asm for Jam:

Code:
;    .if    SECDB
;    clr    a0
;    rets

So i'm curious what you did, without tracing the patched roms to figure that out myself, i lack free time these days..

@Hammy
I've been working on patches for Nba Jam and MK1 to use any ASIC.
Out of interest, what did you do to the Dredd code?
Hi! I have seen your recent work and it looks great, although not had time to read it all through yet.
Did you take a look at "Road Kill" it should be a T / Y unit thingy... but is it complete?

Dredd was just code nuke for a few routines from memory but it's been a while, the main thing i do remember is; the offsets are a bitch on this hardware ;)

This crack is pants really but was good for it's time.
It did have an error of the level order getting corrupted after game over , a check missed or the other handling was wrong?

- Actual code that does the calculations (#sc in most source code, util.asm for nba's)
Now we know this , dredd can be re-cracked 100% sometime!

Dredd was easier than NBA jam from looking at the bin's anyway.

Hi! I have seen your recent work and it looks great, although not had time to read it all through yet.
Did you take a look at "Road Kill" it should be a T / Y unit thingy... but is it complete?
It's T-unit but for some reason the vector table is ignored, i already built roms, but it doesn't execute. Also missing gfx data for this one. ;(
It's in debug mode, they probably used 'toddview' debugger + hardware tms340xx debugger card and can have that jump anywhere.

I miss a 'run from addy xxxx' command in Mame debugger, unless i'm unaware of it and how it works. Also real-time rom patching.
I come from the C64 where we could just modify code in realtime with a decent monitor cart.. :)

Damn, that's unlucky :(
Would of been nice to get a fresh game, Maybe it was never finished..

You run from anywhere with the command:
Do PC==xxxxx

Do this in break mode and you will see the PC update, then press F5 IIRC to resume. You can clear registers also with command RPset.
Normally you will want to find a good breakpoint position with a setup you need to do the "jump" anyway..

You run from anywhere with the command:
Do PC==xxxxx

Do this in break mode and you will see the PC update, then press F5 IIRC to resume. You can clear registers also with command RPset.
Normally you will want to find a good breakpoint position with a setup you need to do the "jump" anyway..
Got it going a bit

1696116652757.png

Crashes on enabling the interrupts, i need to check that out still. But, i'm sure with a little effort it can be made to display something.

:)

I just quickly fired it up, as you say it seems like the protection is kicking in. (like judge dredd sticks on the title screen and "quits the game" at random)
Sad there's no sound on there but i'm sure the sound calls can be modded to better / more suitable samples.

Back