What's new

lukemorse1

Professional
Reaction score
Ive been thinking about this for the longest time as I have this game sitting on my shelf not being playable and thought I would throw this out there.
The question is if anyone has tried working on some kind of patch to allow Ninja Assault rom board to boot using an ordinary sega I/O and not the Namco one?

This game in particular wont boot without the JYU game specific I/O which is not only a pain to track down but a lot of the time I see them listed as non working.
The kicker is that if you try to use another I/O it will come up with an error and wont boot. Same thing will happen if the original I/O is malfunctioning.

Curious if a rom patch could be placed on the rom board an allow for it to skip over the I/O Error but yet work with a different sega I/O?
Just an idea but it would be cool to be able to play this dusty game if if ever happened.

Thoughts on the idea? ?(

PITA part - this game uses Namco type cart, where game program ROM is soldered SMD flash, not socketed EPROM like in Sega carts. so even if this game's code will be modified to not require JYU IO - you'll not be able to replace ROM and use it in easy way.

in general this game require: specific name of IO board, IO board must support touch screen type inputs (game read inputs using JVS "touch screen" commands, not analog inputs like most of light gun games).

imo the easiest way is to use some JVS IO replacement/simulator board (iirc there was "Mini USB JVS IO"), where will be added "profile" of Namco JYU IO board.
well, or if some person will reverse engineer this game input handling code and rewrite it to use common analog inputs instead of touch controls.

hmm, do you think it would be possible to write the code to a Pi and have it act as a stand alone I/O or an adapter that could be plugged in as a bridge between the Naomi and another I/O?

Very interested

many options possible in theory, but "bridge device" doesn't looks easiest solution.

hmm, do you think it would be possible to write the code to a Pi and have it act as a stand alone I/O
You might want to look at this project: Custom JVS I/O - MEGA JVS

it's an Arduino based JVS IO board that can be made to look like any IO board you need.

I doubt it's setup to handled touch screen inputs though, so while it could probably get the game boot, you likely couldn't play it.

though, you might be able to write something. I can't imagine the code to translate analog inputs to touch inputs would be that difficult. the hardest part is figuring out how the touch inputs are reported over JVS.

the hardest part is figuring out how the touch inputs are reported over JVS.
thats easiest part, all commands pretty well explained in official JVS document, including "screen input" one.

also, this game pretty well works on Demul, this means all the needs of this game was researched and emulated, by me. so, I can provide all necessary info.

all commands pretty well explained in official JVS document, including "screen input" one.
good to know, I thought touch screen might have been in the custom command section; didn't realize it was part of the official spec.

do you know what the "resolution" of the screen touch input is? is it 0-255 or some other range? if it's 0-255 that would make it even easier since it would map directly to the analog range.

ughh, you can't read docs yourself ? web.archive.org/web/2012041823…u/siryou02/JVST_VER3R.pdf
its in Japanese, but google translates tech texts very well.
I was asking about Ninja Assault Specifically not the JVS spec since they might use a smaller range or maybe do something weird to extend the range.

Thanks for the link though, last time I went looking for that document I couldn't find a working link.

I wouldnt mind even analog controls being possible tbh. I have a mounted set of guns i use for my lets go jungle/island and i use them for most of my shooting games anyway because of the versatility.

If an arduino could be programmed to work as an independant I/O which would mimic the JYU or Sega I/O and had analog inputs that worked Id buy one of these for sure :D .

I dont have enough programming knowledge to even know where or how to begin to do something like that myself so I would gladly pay for that service.

If an arduino could be programmed to work as an independant I/O which would mimic the JYU or Sega I/O and had analog inputs that worked Id buy one of these for sure .

I dont have enough programming knowledge to even know where or how to begin to do something like that myself so I would gladly pay for that service.
That's why I linked to winteriscoming's Mega JVS thread. See if he'd be willing to compile a version of his JVS code that just maps the analog inputs to the touch screen data.

If an arduino could be programmed to work as an independant I/O which would mimic the JYU or Sega I/O and had analog inputs that worked Id buy one of these for sure .

That's why I linked to winteriscoming's Mega JVS thread. See if he'd be willing to compile a version of his JVS code that just maps the analog inputs to the touch screen data.
Much appreciated. I sent a message and seems like winteriscoming has the same idea about a multi I/O of sorts. Will wait and see

Much appreciated. I sent a message and seems like winteriscoming has the same idea about a multi I/O of sorts. Will wait and see
We need a video about this topic :).

Is there a netbootable rom of Ninja Assault?

I CAN probably get it booting, but I definitely don't have an ideal setup for playing.

Is there a netbootable rom of Ninja Assault?
I don't think so unfortunately, Since it's a cart game it would take some effort to convert and it wasn't converted because it used such a rare/unique IO setup so it was assumed no one would be able to play it.

I think @acblunden2 mentioned he had a Ninja Assault Cart and no way to play it, maybe he'd let you borrow it to figure out the IO, it would benefit him too since he'd then have a way to play it :D

then maybe it would be worth converting to Net Boot since an IO solution would be available.

I definitely don't have an ideal setup for playing.
if you have analog controls you can verify that it's working. I'd just make sure they're mapped to the same axis and the same polarity as the other gun games. IIRC when attempting to play Confidential Mission with the Zombie Revenge analog sticks the axis was rotated 90deg from what you'd expect. I believe all of the Sega Gun games are mapped the same so it would make sense to have Ninja Assault follow suit.

I have the Ninja Assault cart and I believe the I/O that came with it (not sure). No interest in playing it so it just sits there. If you need to borrow it, let me know.

I'm going to be honest. I have low motivation and time to work on this at the moment.

Back