What's new

jkl

Student
Reaction score
Hi,
I need some help.
I can't get Initial D3 running on my Naomi 2 board.
I tried with my old JVS2Jamma board: I can boot but no input is recognized: I can't add credit, start game and so on... can only look at the rolling demo.
Then I tried with the JVS type 2: "I/O board connected to Naomi does not fullfill game spec".
What kind of I/O is it expecting?
BTW both I/O I tried are recognized in test mode, and input test is working well.
Both boards have 100ohm resistor for coin meter spoofing.

Help please!! ;(

PS: Anyone can tell me how the dipswitches on JVS I/O work? Can't find any information even on AGS...

I hope I can answer you but some additional information might be needed. I also hope you figured this out already.

Keep in mind these are strong assumptions because I am not clearly understanding your question but here goes:

First off, you mention JVS I/O Type 2 board. This is on Andy's site as well as SEGA cabinets with Model # 837-13844-02. First thing that comes to mind is that the Type 2 JVS I/O board DOES NOT have any analog I/O controls and has more digital I/O than the Type 1.

You originally say that you can boot but no input is recognized when using JVS2Jamma. Before you get to the NAOMI logo screen, there is usually a message regarding I/O errors.
When you try the JVS type 2 board you get a different error. Is this on screen somewhere? I have never seen that error before. The usual error I get when the JVS I/O has issues (or is not connected) is just a generic one stating "...I/O Error...".

ID3 Twin cabinets come with a JVS I/O board labeled "837-13551-92" Type 1. There are no switches on this particular Model board.

All in all, JVS I/O Type 2 boards won't work with Initial D 3 (Nor 1/2).

Reference Ghost Squad Page 2 (B-3,3-6): http://visionamusement.com/web_documents/Sega/Ghost Squad Deluxe Wiring Diagram.pdf

Thanks for your answer, I never had the type 2 working (btw, it does have analog support!) on Naomi, but I purchased a type1 that works flawlessy on it.
I gave my type 2 to a friend who's using it (digital as well as analog inputs) on his Lindbergh.

Many thanks, anyway!

JKL

by default, with all DIPSW OFF "type 2" (13844) JVS IO have 12 digital inputs (per player), but ID wants them at least 13 like type-1 IO have.
try to switch some DIPs on this IO, if I not mistaken 2nd or 1st+2nd - this will increase switch inputs number.
this is quite advanced and flexible IO btw

Last edited:
I read somewhere that the Sega JVS to Jamma board will work but only if you disable 6 button control mode with a jumper on the board, otherwise the game will not boot at all, just go to test.

by default, with all DIPSW OFF "type 2" (13844) JVS IO have 12 digital inputs (per player), but ID wants them at least 13 like type-1 IO have.
try to switch some DIPs on this IO, if I not mistaken 2nd or 1st+2nd - this will increase switch inputs number.
this is quite advanced and flexible IO btw
I was wondering what those dip switches are used for, is there information somewhere that explains all of the different switch settings? I haven't been able to come up with anything.

I was wondering what those dip switches are used for
for configuring this IO capabilities. there is no docs explaining all DIPSW settings. I've seen only DIPSW 1 mentioned in Sega Marine Fishing docs, it is enable "rotary" inputs.
based on this IO firmware disassembly - the rest can set it's GPIO pins for input or output, change number of players, enable touch screen support (5?), enable printer(s) support, etc.

for configuring this IO capabilities. there is no docs explaining all DIPSW settings. I've seen only DIPSW 1 mentioned in Sega Marine Fishing docs, it is enable "rotary" inputs.based on this IO firmware disassembly - the rest can set it's GPIO pins for input or output, change number of players, enable touch screen support (5?), enable printer(s) support, etc.
wow, that really is a versatile I/O board!

for configuring this IO capabilities. there is no docs explaining all DIPSW settings. I've seen only DIPSW 1 mentioned in Sega Marine Fishing docs, it is enable "rotary" inputs.based on this IO firmware disassembly - the rest can set it's GPIO pins for input or output, change number of players, enable touch screen support (5?), enable printer(s) support, etc.
I spent some time an mapped it all out: Sega JVS I/O Type 2 Dip Switch Settings and pinout

I was going through the NAOMI 2 games earlier tonight and there's definitely something up with the Initial D games and the Type 2 I/O...

ID1 and ID2 will boot straight to test menu when using the Type 2 I/O, and ID3 will give the "does not fulfill game specs" error.

setting the dip for 1 player mode doesn't make a difference, nor does any other dipswitch configuration.

it honestly doesn't make sense that it would need that set either since ID only uses 3 gameplay button (shift up, shift down, and view) so it's not like it would use more than the 12 buttons available on the Type 2 I/O in 2-player mode.

I tried with and without spoofing the coin meters too, but that seemed to make no difference.

If there's a way to get ID to work with the Type 2 I/O I haven't been able to figure out it out.

I was going through the NAOMI 2 games earlier tonight and there's definitely something up with the Initial D games and the Type 2 I/O...

ID1 and ID2 will boot straight to test menu when using the Type 2 I/O, and ID3 will give the "does not fulfill game specs" error.

setting the dip for 1 player mode doesn't make a difference, nor does any other dipswitch configuration.

it honestly doesn't make sense that it would need that set either since ID only uses 3 gameplay button (shift up, shift down, and view) so it's not like it would use more than the 12 buttons available on the Type 2 I/O in 2-player mode.

I tried with and without spoofing the coin meters too, but that seemed to make no difference.

If there's a way to get ID to work with the Type 2 I/O I haven't been able to figure out it out.
My guess would be that the Initial D games are hard coded to look for something that the Type 1 has but the Type 2 lacks. Unless it is some obscure setting that needs to get changed that no one would ever think of.

NAOMI Initial D have such JVS board check:
- number of players must be > 1,
- number of (per player) switches must be > 12,
- number of coin inputs must be > 0

have no idea why developers made it what way

NAOMI Initial D have such JVS board check:
- number of players must be > 1,
- number of (per player) switches must be > 12,
- number of coin inputs must be > 0

have no idea why developers made it what way
If that's true that would rule out the Type 2 I/O because when players = 2 then switches = 12 (so it fails for number of switches), but if you set it to players = 1 then switches = 16 (so it fails for number of players).

yep, is seems there is no way to use so called "type-2" IO with NAOMI2 Initial D.

this IO firmware have configuration for 2 players / 20 switches each or 2 players / 24 switches each, but this modes probably require some additional IO ICs, which is not present on 13844 PCB, so as you say it hangs instead with such DIP SW settings.

Back